Aleksis Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been lucky enough to get a quick demo of the game from Tristan with a really nice bloke called Paul at The Travelling Man in Manchester.

As Tristan aka Ninjadorg aka The other film guy has been kind enough to take the time to put these sessions on I thought it would be a cool thing to collect our thoughts about the game be they good or bad so that the geeks that aren't as lucky to live as locally could get a better idea of how the game plays and hopefully back this amazing game!

So here it goes...

My demo covered the first chapter of the game with most of the game setup being GMd to get to the fun faster and boy was the fun coming thick and fast!

There was only two players but I still get the impression that this game plays much faster than other RPG adventures. I really like how each player will play their first action and only when everybody has done that does the round progress to the next action. As Paul and I both started the game with 4 actions I was worried that playing this game with 3 other mates might slow it all down to a crawl but from what I've seen that isn't an issue.

The events/quests and combat in the game all follow the same basic rules and the number of attributes a character has mean that you can really play to your strengths and I felt that my Half Demon Rogue was really developing a personality even after just 3 or 4 rounds. There was bit of a blunder when I tried to fight a Lyconthrope instead of heeding Tristan's advice to merely chat with it. After a fierce battle I managed to kill it but it also got a last minute killing blow in on it's last roll so I woke up in Sprawl City with a severely bruised ego. It took me one round to get myself rested up to full health which seemed to serve as a suitable punishment for my folly but didn't exclude me from getting on with the game.

The market system is a lot of fun as well. If you are lucky enough to have some gold from beating an event/quest or beastie you get to have a good rummage around for some decent items or spells to buff your abilities and you can also gamble and sacrifice a trophy card for an something from the market instead of playing it.

Paul and I had opted for 'competitive' gameplay over co-operative but with just covering a chapter it probably didn't change many of our choices. Although i probably could have been able to share some of Paul's mountain of gold that he'd amassed in the final rounds. Bloody wizard!

I backed this game on Kickstarter on day one but was just eager to play it, I'm so glad that I did but now I have to wait until November 2016 for my next fix?! Nope I'll be camping out at Travelling man next week as well!

Tristan's really thought this game through and it shows in the polish of the gameplay itself. It's a well oiled machine and when Tristan was fielding some questions from onlookers Paul and I managed to continue with the game quite happily just after two rounds of play. Admittedly we came a cropper when Paul completed a quest and we had no idea what to do with it but we we're soon back on track after a brief rule check with Tristan.

Although I only got the briefest peek at the top of the iceberg it's apparent that there is a whole lot of game on offer here.

I'd be interested to know what anybody who has participated in a full play through thinks of the speed at which the game plays? Does it keep it's pace or slow down as experience and gear have opened up more options to players?

Also back the game - it's bloody brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found through extensive plays that the game doesn't really slow down at all. Yes you can level up and have access to additional skills, items, power-ups etc, but these enhance the play and don't slow it at all.

It just feels so intuitive. For example, leveling up to become the wizard angler means that you can heal a wound in a bad lands location by veiling (tapping) the skill. This makes your turn take about 2 seconds longer but you feel that you are so much more powerful as a result.

There are a lot of games whereby these skills would give extra hit point based on die rolls which to me has always just slowed the game down and this type of boon negates that additional down time.

The further on you get the more actions you get, but as you take actions in turn, you don't get any additional downtime. That combined with the competitive catch up mechanism, means that there is no-one running around with loads of actions and everyone is just waiting for their turn again.

Just my 2 cents on the topic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksis Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah taking actions in turn does so much for the pace of the game and I felt like I was really as interested in Paul's actions as much as my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your impressions Leki, excellent write-up. And thanks for coming along on Sunday, it was a lovely day! Looking forward to next Sunday too now... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksis Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, thank you for taking the time to put the demo on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faith in Tristan Hall and Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game further confirmed! Thank you for the excellent run through all thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
he demoed in the warf game club last week

its a been a week since then but

I my story was..

I was demon mage, on quest for a scepter
I venture in to the forrest and met a witch who was two powerfull for me so i move the hills and was attacked by trolls. barely escaping,
I ousted a thieves guild and quelled some ruffians
I regaled my tale to level up then set about rescuing 1 child defeating a devil and find a cure for a strange illness upon a girl..

through this learnt the spell whirlwind to better travel about, and level up to be a battle mage astral traveler.

how ever it was a 4 player game coop and we ran out of time,
but i can say it played well.

a few turns we swaped gold to help level and heal each other, and even joined forces in a few battles.

of my coop players turns i remember the thief doing very well. i know there where werewolves, nymphs, barbarians and various titles gained and lost..

all in all quite slick and well played

i had a write up and session report planed but dang thing didnt save!

In it i compared it to be better then talisman in that there is more choice and more going on, and an end story similar to that of Arabian nights

i look forward to a 2nd play and will more then likly pledge on payday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had a really great time playing with you Leki. I had to stifle a laugh at some of your dice rolls, the gilded sword didn't help a great deal, heh, heh. Yeah, how many gold did I end up with after completing my first chapter???

But seriously, I know we only played a short while, however I was quite surprised at how well it plays competitively. I know we only scratched the surface, but you could definitely see how some of your future strategies and turns would be different from a co-op experience.

Tristan and Sam explained to me how some of those long term plans may transpire and are some tactics I wouldn't have considered let alone come across if I only play the game solo when it funds!

It was an absolute pleasure to meet Tristan and his family, you and Sam, and I am trying to persuade a friend of mine to jump on the Ninjadorg express, & hopefully we may put in an appearance at Travelling Man on the 20th; so hope to see you all again then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Mark and Paul for chipping in with your thoughts too - it's brilliant to read how much people are enjoying the game already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksis Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laardge11 wrote:
I had a really great time playing with you Leki. I had to stifle a laugh at some of your dice rolls, the gilded sword didn't help a great deal, heh, heh. Yeah, how many gold did I end up with after completing my first chapter???

But seriously, I know we only played a short while, however I was quite surprised at how well it plays competitively. I know we only scratched the surface, but you could definitely see how some of your future strategies and turns would be different from a co-op experience.

Tristan and Sam explained to me how some of those long term plans may transpire and are some tactics I wouldn't have considered let alone come across if I only play the game solo when it funds!

It was an absolute pleasure to meet Tristan and his family, you and Sam, and I am trying to persuade a friend of mine to jump on the Ninjadorg express, & hopefully we may put in an appearance at Travelling Man on the 20th; so hope to see you all again then.

Haha I was so smug when that Gilded Sword came out at market but what I REALLY needed was a thinking cap Paul

Yeah that gold seemed to come out of nowhere but I've been assured it was "well earned" so well done.

I think I'll also enjoy playing this game solo. It isn't something that I usually do but can see it being really enjoyable with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well getting up this morning was awesome. Seeing Tristan's interview featuring yours truly, but the best news of all, breaking through that £26k barrier, woo hoo.

Can't wait to check Ricky Royal's video tonight when I get I from work and see the new total. It's gonna be a long day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksis Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep hitting F5 Paul!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laardge11 wrote:
Can't wait to check Ricky Royal's video tonight when I get I from work

He's done a stellar job, as usual. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
Tristan,

Are you going to the Bolton All dayer?

If so will it be possible to give this a shot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:
Tristan,

Are you going to the Bolton All dayer?

If so will it be possible to give this a shot?

Yes, and yes, Simon! Think it will be after the last day of the campaign though.
PM me your mobile number and we can set it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
I don't have one blush

However I will probably be able to borrow one for the day, so I will PM you when I have it. I'm bringing my son, he loves Dungeon, Talisman etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksis Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:
I don't have one blush

However I will probably be able to borrow one for the day, so I will PM you when I have it. I'm bringing my son, he loves Dungeon, Talisman etc.

I'm sure if you wear a white suit, panama hat and a single red rose in your button hole Tristan should be able to spot you

Can I get in on this also?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
When is this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:
I don't have one blush

No problem, I'll wear the T-shirt just in case (like I need an excuse) - just keep an eye out for the Gloomy corner.

Laardge11 wrote:
When is this?

27th September Paul - more info here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20283107#20283107

cool

Leki wrote:
Can I get in on this also?

But of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksis Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was lucky enough to have another go at this outside Element Games in Stockport. The guys there gave Tristan a table so that he could accost gamers on their way into the North West Gaming Centre.

This time I played a Dwarf Wizard with the power of flight which was ace! Managed to actually win a few fights but still got KO'd by one or two angry foes.

It was a great chance to quiz Tristan on a few of the mechanics and get some top tips such as always be hiding in Chapter 1.

A lot of the rumors for items and spells that I picked up had me heading towards the same badlands location which was very cool. I got the feeling that my heroic wizard was being summoned to this place for some sort of ritual in which he'd be bestowed all sorts of fantastic booty (the treasure type - keep it clean!). Unfortunately Tristan beat me to Chapter 2 long before I could get there and we decided to go home.

I really like how easily your characters story arc reveals itself and gives you the room to embellish as you see fit.

GoK is really proving to be the game that will satisfy that craving to adventure when my DnD group get's postponed that extra fortnight because of 'parental responsibilities'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any gilded swords this time, heh, heh????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksis Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laardge11 wrote:
Any gilded swords this time, heh, heh????

Ha! Unfortunately not but i did much better on the gold front this time around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh bad form Mr Dorg, you should have let Leki win. That cheeky grin doesn't cut the gloom with me matey boy. Bad Dorg, no treats for you tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Petrov
msg tools
Hello, please help me, I desperately need your advice

Recently found this game at BGG, the art is fantastic, and the interview of the "Gloom of Kilforth" creator impressed me a lot.
I am searching the cooperative board games for my group.

However, after examining the rules, this game (in cooperative mode) seems to be quite similar to "Defenders of the realm".
The mechanics are different in details, but in fact the purposes of players and the aim of the games are similar, "Gloom of.." seems to be just more complicated than "Defenders".

What do you think about these two games comparison?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PathfinderX wrote:
Hello, please help me, I desperately need your advice

Recently found this game at BGG, the art is fantastic, and the interview of the "Gloom of Kilforth" creator impressed me a lot.
I am searching the cooperative board games for my group.

However, after examining the rules, this game (in cooperative mode) seems to be quite similar to "Defenders of the realm".
The mechanics are different in details, but in fact the purposes of players and the aim of the games are similar, "Gloom of.." seems to be just more complicated than "Defenders".

What do you think about these two games comparison?

Cross-replied from your other posts:

Defenders is a fantasy re-theme of Pandemic and I really enjoy it. But it's basically a war where you're trying to destroy 'outbreaks' of enemies.
Gloom of Kilforth is more of a D&D style fantasy adventure where you're developing a tale, meeting strangers, exploring places, solving quests and levelling up. Mechanically they're quite dissimilar.

The rules are available in the files section. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.