Here I Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: Breslau and Prague rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ward

Columbia
Missouri
msg tools
This question must have been asked before but I can't search all of the thousands of previous posts to find it.

In the 2010 reprint rule book, in the page 30 sidebar "Reformation Attempt Example" for the Luther's 95 Theses phase it shows the die roll calculations for six spaces adjacent to Wittenberg and Brandenburg that include Breslau and Prague and states "Breslau and Magdeburg look like the best targets". The text notes that Breslau and Prague are outside the German language zone so that the Papacy will win ties.

The Luther's 95 Theses event card states "Protestant player makes 5 Reformation attempts in the German language zone".

What's going on? Can conversion attempts be outside the designated language zone, or is this a major error in the rule book?

There is no mention of this issue in the Erratum sheet posted on the GMT Web site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 32 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
You kind of answered your own question. The Protestant can indeed attempt to convert spaces outside the targeted language zone, but the Papacy would win ties. This weird way of wording has confused more than one veteran gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward

Columbia
Missouri
msg tools
The card specifies "... IN the German language zone." Breslau and Prague violate the conditions on the card. How can a player get around the specific language on the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
cewward wrote:
The card specifies "... IN the German language zone." Breslau and Prague violate the conditions on the card. How can a player get around the specific language on the card?

"In ___ language zone" doesn't mean that the attempts have to be in that language zone. It might be better written as "Make two reformation attempts, only winning ties in the German language zone." Marco is absolutely right, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward

Columbia
Missouri
msg tools
MD1616 wrote:
cewward wrote:

"In ___ language zone" doesn't mean that the attempts have to be in that language zone. It might be better written as "Make two reformation attempts, only winning ties in the German language zone." Marco is absolutely right, though.

So the words on the card don't actually mean what they say? I'd love to hear Ed Beach's comments on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cewward wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
cewward wrote:

So the words on the card don't actually mean what they say? I'd love to hear Ed Beach's comments on this.

You are reading the card wrong. You make 5 Reformation attempts TARGETING the German language zone. Targeting means that's where you win ties; it is not a limiter on where you can perform them. Reread the rules on Reformation attempts in general and it should become clear. Specifically rule 18.3, step 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW has it right; other answers misquote the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"targeting" a zone means "selecting it as the sole tie-winning zone", basically. Unfortunately, when choosing a particular space some people will say something like "I target this space", which makes sense in English but isn't the specific game-definition of "target".

It's sort of like how you can't intercept an interception b/c interceptions are not "movement" even though you are literally moving the pieces by the English definition of "move".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.