Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love 1775: Rebellion and enjoy playing A Few Acres of Snow. I recently got a chance to play Twilight Struggle, and really enjoyed it as well (although I don't think I will ever play it enough to be good at it).

What are some suggestions for other light-wargames that clock in around 2 hours preferably that are card-play driven? I would love to play the COIN games, but know I won't have the opponents for it, so please don't suggest these. I would prefer historical situations over say something like Mythotopia. I am also not looking for tactical level games such as Memoir or C&C. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Washington's War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:

I've thought about this one, but to be honest, why should I play this one over 1775 if they are the same war?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, it's a better game and plays with two.

For a different war,Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage is a fine choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:
IMO, it's a better game and plays with two.

I'll check it out then. 1775 plays great with 2 imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan

Not an OPS/Event CDG but you might dig it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quartermaster General is on the lighter side, is card-driven, and plays up to 6. Since you mentioned that finding opponents might be a problem, if you have a few players who are wary of wargames but play other games, it could be non-intimidating enough to work for them (I hadn't played wargames before, and am relatively new to board games in general, but I played QG at a con and enjoyed it). It may possibly be too much on the tactical side for you, but having not played the other games you mentioned, I'm not sure how they compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:

I forgot about this one. I really like it, but it really only plays 2 or 6 (I have never played it with 2. Any good?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played with 6, so can't say how it with other counts from expreience. However, I think it is possible to play a good game with other counts (though 3 is indeed awkward). Four could be 2 teams of 2 (if you don't have alpha players that will take over a side). For 5 I'd probably do one country per player with 3 on the Allies, 2 on the Axis with those 2 players sharing duties on Japan (Japan has pretty much 0 synergies with the other countries so there's not a huge amount of advantage gained from the extra knowledge)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Washignton war plays and feels totally diferent than 1775. They just share a common theme.

That and hannibal are my recomendations. But forget to play them in two hours, they need at least four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celacanto wrote:
Washignton war plays and feels totally diferent than 1775. They just share a common theme.

That and hannibal are my recomendations. But forget to play them in two hours, they need at least four.

Fair enough, but I don't see the need to own two Revolutionary War games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dios_et_dios wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

I forgot about this one. I really like it, but it really only plays 2 or 6 (I have never played it with 2. Any good?)

Plays well with any count. There's really nothing else quite like it. It's a great design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzy Vitale
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
When empty, please refill with tea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Victory Points Games States of Siege series.

Ottoman Sunset
Hapsburg Eclipse
Cruel Necessity

There are 5 or 6 total, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
dios_et_dios wrote:
celacanto wrote:

Then dump 1775 and get WW. And it easily plays in two hours. Hannibal will often take quite a bit longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider Manoeuvre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly recommend you Age of Napoleon.

It covers the whole nappy in way less than 2 hours, with enough chrome to be actually interesting to replay for a light strategy treatment on the topic (of course you can't expect the details of Napoleon against Europe).
Just be sure to get the 2nd edition with the better-written rulebook.

For another interesting 19th century title, have a look at Price of Freedom (another strategic, ACW); it's about the same complexity of A House Divided (which isn't a card-driven of course), and absolutely lighter than For the People (which IS a card-driven, but isn't "light").

Btw, you can play COIN solo if you want, you have full bots for the other 3 players: I've done that recently to learn Fire in the Lake, with the understanding that, one-it's way over 2 hours and two-I won't classify FitL as "a light wargame" at all, even by wargames standard (definitely in the "middle-weight" class).
Plus, COIN system isn't really a card-driven like the other games discussed here, you don't have cards in your hand nor OPs to spend: it's really a (wonderful imho) euro-political ConSim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Gustafsson
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
A copper in the trash pile...
badge
...is worth two in the hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you liked Twilight Struggle, and want something similar, I would suggest 1989: Dawn of Freedom. Same basic mechanisms, but without all the gotcha moments that instantly end the game. I find it slightly easier to just pick up and play. Also dripping with history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathy James
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmb
mi_de wrote:
dios_et_dios wrote:
celacanto wrote:

Then dump 1775 and get WW. And it easily plays in two hours. Hannibal will often take quite a bit longer.

I agree. Washington's War is 90 - 120 minutes, even for inexperienced players. Part of the reason we bought it was to have a CDG that played in 90 minutes, and we have found that to be the realistic play time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also consider Julius Caesar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.