28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Ideas needed for trap names. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fernando Pereira
msg tools
Hello Everyone. I'm designing traps for my fantasy RPG card game and I would like to hear some ideas for traps suitable to be found in Cave type sites.

I need 20 traps, from least to most lethal. But don't bother supplying a complete list of cave traps in such order; specifying a few ideas for cave trap names will be already quite helpful!

I'm seeking names that are self explanatory like:
- Spiked Pitfall
- Stun Ray
- Poison Dart
- Collapse Ceiling Tripwire
- Teleport Rune
etc...

Thank you for any help in this matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dropped log
arrow to the knee
spring-loaded ax
bomb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew S.
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy
|
|
Venomous sloth pit
|
|
|
Gelatinous tesseract
|
|
Hard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tabletop Hat
msg tools
Barrel of Monkeys (though that may be copyright infringement)
Really Sticky Cobwebs
Can of Worms
Envelope o' Anthrax

More Serious:
Cutting Snare
Acidic Pool
Deadly Fruit
Painful Portal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rock slide
rolling boulder
snake pit
impalement by falling stalactites
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
watch The Goonies and the Indiana Jones movies for some great inspiration!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit full of vipers
Pool (or mirror) of enchantment
Sleeping springs
Tar pit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spore cloud
Noxious fumes
Crystal confusion (distorted vision/lack of clear path due to crystalline clusters)
Steam cloud
Volcanic venting (mix of poisonous fumes and/or heat with distorted vision)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wagner
United States
Cleveland Hts.,
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rotating room (can open onto various dangers, or not.)
Hidden portcullis that separates party.
Adventurer's corpse on floor with slime/spider on ceiling.
Rotten staircase/ladder. Rotten planks crossing water-filled room.
False floor over pit (filled with slimes, undead, water, gas. Or not.)
Room with two wall-paths around water pit -- Watcher in the water.
Wall torch linked to hidden oil flask.
Locked room that fills with sand/water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Pereira
msg tools
Thank you all for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tamayo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honeypot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Pereira
msg tools
Ok everyone, I've built the following list, from least to most lethal:

- Slippery Ground
- Venous Slime
- Cutting Snare
- Sticky Cobwebs
- Steam Propelled Rock
- Spiked Foot Trap
(Basically it is an Apache Foot Trap) -> caltrops
- Toxic Spore Mushroom
- Cave Wasp Nest
- Hot Tar Pit
- Black Spider Cobwebs
(Stronger cobweb that will call a spider if the character doesn't get loose in time)
- Dropped Log -> Crushing Log
- Snake Pit
- Lethal Poison Bolt
- Beast Trap
(similar to a bear trap but way more dangerous)
- Crossfire Bolt Trap (Bolts are fired at the party pretty much from every direction)
- Rock Slide
- Falling Stalactites
- Dropped Barrel Bomb
- Large Rolling Boulder
- Abyss Pitfall

I would like to hear your thoughts on it as I'm not sure about their order by danger level. I know that its pretty much impossible to come up with an ideal order but by just looking at their names, would you change anything?

Also feel free to change or replace their names with whatever you believe to make more sense.

Thank you so much for your effort!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably change Dropped Log to preclude infantile sniggering from the likes of myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Pereira
msg tools
Damn it! LOL! I wasn't aware of such comparison. Thanks for mention it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe drop - Spiked Foot Trap (Basically it is an Apache Foot Trap) and replace with Caltrops. Just for ease more than anything else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Pereira
msg tools
Mmzomba wrote:
Maybe drop - Spiked Foot Trap (Basically it is an Apache Foot Trap) and replace with Caltrops. Just for ease more than anything else

That's also a fine suggestion. Will do.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of interest, are you proposing that these are traps which 'spring' on to the heroes, or are these encounters which require a roll (or equivalent) to get past?

The reason I ask is that you could potential rename them for the purpose of the encounter and then add more detail if the encounter is failed.

Eg:

Icy Corridor
Roll a success to pass unscathed

On a fail: The slippery ground underfoot sends your hero sprawling across the ground. Spend your next action/turn standing up.

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ularis wrote:
Ok everyone, I've built the following list, from least to most lethal:

- Slippery Ground
- Venous Slime
- Cutting Snare
- Sticky Cobwebs
- Steam Propelled Rock
- Spiked Foot Trap
(Basically it is an Apache Foot Trap) -> caltrops
- Toxic Spore Mushroom
- Cave Wasp Next
- Hot Tar Pit
- Black Spider Cobwebs
(Stronger cobweb that will call a spider if the character doesn't get loose in time)
- Dropped Log -> Crushing Log
- Snake Pit
- Lethal Poison Bolt
- Beast Trap
(similar to a bear trap but way more dangerous)
- Crossfire Bolt Trap (Bolts are fired at the party pretty much from every direction)
- Rock Slide
- Falling Stalactites
- Dropped Barrel Bomb
- Large Rolling Boulder
- Abyss Pitfall

I would like to hear your thoughts on it as I'm not sure about their order by danger level. I know that its pretty much impossible to come up with an ideal order but by just looking at their names, would you change anything?

Also feel free to change or replace their names with whatever you believe to make more sense.

Thank you so much for your effort!

Unless 'Venous slime' is supposed to seduce you then it sounds to me like it should be more dangerous, certainly being stuck in cobwebs sounds less bad than being poisoned.

While venomous and poisonous have specific meanings (a venomous animal is dangerous if it bites you, a poisonous one is only a problem if you eat it) they're often misused to mean more or less dangerous. You might be about to have 'poisonous slime' and 'venomous bolt' to avoid the awkward 'lethal' construct.

The fact that 'black spider cobweb' needs explanation means it's probably not descriptive as a phrase. Would "spider nest", "spider queen lair", "spider breeding pit" or some other construct sound better?

"Dropped barrel bomb" doesn't quite sound right to me either, though I'm having trouble putting my finger on it. Perhaps gunpowder doesn't quite gel with the fantasy setting for me? What about "explosive glyph" or "fireball trap"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Pereira
msg tools
Mmzomba wrote:
Just out of interest, are you proposing that these are traps which 'spring' on to the heroes, or are these encounters which require a roll (or equivalent) to get past?

The reason I ask is that you could potential rename them for the purpose of the encounter and then add more detail if the encounter is failed.

Eg:

Icy Corridor
Roll a success to pass unscathed

On a fail: The slippery ground underfoot sends your hero sprawling across the ground. Spend your next action/turn standing up.

Sam

Hello Sam. These require a check to get past; your example is quite tempting. I'll see if I can find room in the card for such type description.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one I fell for: my DM tells me... "As you are reading the words, you notice something wierd about the letter i's in basilisk. Do you want to take a closer look?" I had a bad feeling that it was a trap. But my poor bard is not that wise. I decided to roll for it, and failed a straight up wisdom check. So I stared into the "i's of the basilisk"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like abyssal shaft even more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Pereira
msg tools
x_equals_speed wrote:

Unless 'Venous slime' is supposed to seduce you then it sounds to me like it should be more dangerous, certainly being stuck in cobwebs sounds less bad than being poisoned.

While venomous and poisonous have specific meanings (a venomous animal is dangerous if it bites you, a poisonous one is only a problem if you eat it) they're often misused to mean more or less dangerous. You might be about to have 'poisonous slime' and 'venomous bolt' to avoid the awkward 'lethal' construct.

The fact that 'black spider cobweb' needs explanation means it's probably not descriptive as a phrase. Would "spider nest", "spider queen lair", "spider breeding pit" or some other construct sound better?

"Dropped barrel bomb" doesn't quite sound right to me either, though I'm having trouble putting my finger on it. Perhaps gunpowder doesn't quite gel with the fantasy setting for me? What about "explosive glyph" or "fireball trap"

Thank you for the clarifications. I've changed the names accordingly. I'm also struggling with the "dropped barrel bomb". I want to have an explosion trap but that isn't associated with magic.

The idea of having a suspended barrel loaded with powder that detonates upon impact is quite tempting... but I guess I don't want such long name. I think that I'll try Sam's suggestion for adding description's by falling trap checks; this way I really don't need to make self explanatory names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guano Heap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to be of service.

Give me a shout (or PM) if you have any other queries you want a hand with.

As for the Dropped Barrel Bomb, using my earlier example you could do something like:

Tripwire
Roll a success to pass unscathed.

On a fail: You hear a gentle click as your boot snags on the line. Glancing up, you are to late to dodge the falling barrel which was hanging above your head. The explosion as it crashes on to you echoes throughout the dungeon.

(Ok so not necessarily an exploding barrel but you get the gist)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Pereira
msg tools
Mmzomba wrote:
Glad to be of service.

Give me a shout (or PM) if you have any other queries you want a hand with.

As for the Dropped Barrel Bomb, using my earlier example you could do something like:

Tripwire
Roll a success to pass unscathed.

On a fail: You hear a gentle click as your boot snags on the line. Glancing up, you are to late to dodge the falling barrel which was hanging above your head. The explosion as it crashes on to you echoes throughout the dungeon.

(Ok so not necessarily an exploding barrel but you get the gist)

Hey Sam! I see the idea behind it and I really wish I could type English that good . Anyway, I don't have that much room on the card for such immersive descriptions. Therefore, I must have a mix of descriptive trap names with a more or less descriptive consequences in case the traps' check fails.

Here is a small revamp of my Castle Themed Traps card, based on your suggestion:

Yeah, the card is big alright: 4x6 inches. Please ignore the art work (I'm not exactly an artist) and don't take the text too serious since it is temporarily and will eventually be changed / fixed by someone

Anyway, each Trap card theme has a front and back making a total of 20 traps per theme. Once I finish the Castle theme I will start working on the cave themed traps.

PS: I thank you for being available for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.