Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Holme
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 9 (Artillery Phase) is very clean: Artillery units "...conduct their activities during the Artillery Phase." However, there are just a few places where I think some additional clarification would be useful.

Rule 13.7 (Disengagement Fire) doesn't mention artillery units at all, and it is definitely outside the Artillery Phase. Are artillery units eligible to participate in Disengagement Fire if in position?

It appears artillery units are eligible to participate in the Close Combat phase of Brigade Activation. Rule 14.1 (Close Combat Eligibility) states "Artillery units may never initiate Close Combat" - implying they can participate when not the initiator. Additionally, one row in the Close Combat Shifts chart reads "50%+ SPs Are Artillery". What kind of participation by artillery units is envisioned for the Close Combat phase?

1) If an artillery unit (alone, or in a stack) is defending against a Close Combat attack, does it contribute its SPs to the Defensive Fire phase?

2) If an artillery unit was engaged by an enemy unit during a previous phase (and survived the encounter in place), and is stacked with one or more friendly infantry units operating under an Attack Order, is that Close Combat attack eligible to benefit from the "50%+ SPs Are Artillery" (4) column shift?

3) In determining the relative strength of attacking and defending units in a Close Combat situation (Outnumbering), are artillery SPs counted?

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Artillery can fire Disengagement fire.

The 50%+ SP's are artillery modifier is for defending units in a close combat.

Artillery can fire defensive fire before close combat.

Artillery can not attack in close combat so the modifier only applies when the defender has 50% + of artillery.

The artillery SP are counted when defending against close combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holme
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Roger - this is very helpful! Thanks for your prompt reply. Very fun game, and the best regimental-level ACW boardgame system I have tried.

So - artillery in a defensive posture can participate in Disengagement Fire and Close Combat. (Since units of "any type" can return fire in a Firefight chit-draw situation, that's another instance where artillery can conduct activities outside the Artillery Phase.)

It seems to me this contradicts the assertion under 9.0 Artillery Phase that artillery units "...conduct their activities during the Artillery Phase." Would it would be worth enumerating somewhere (at least parenthetically) the conditions when artillery is able to conduct activities outside the Artillery Phase?

Another point of confusion is that the Close Combat modifier for "50%+ SPs are Artillery" is a *right* shift, rather than a *left* shift. Since the right shifts always favor the attacker, and artillery can only participate in Close Combat as a defender, shouldn't this be a left shift (same as the "Defender on Higher Side of Slope" shifts)?

thanks again for your attention!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
jholme wrote:
Another point of confusion is that the Close Combat modifier for "50%+ SPs are Artillery" is a *right* shift, rather than a *left* shift. Since the right shifts always favor the attacker, and artillery can only participate in Close Combat as a defender, shouldn't this be a left shift (same as the "Defender on Higher Side of Slope" shifts)?

thanks again for your attention!

I think the shift is correct as the Artillery is suited to long range fire and weak at close combat. You need to reinforce them with other infantry to protect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the questions, John, and thanks for the answers Roger and Kevin. I'm glad you're enjoying the game, John - please let others know so we can spread the good word!
As far as artillery in Close Combat, as Kevin points out, artillery alone is very vulnerable to close action from infantry, with very little to defend themselves other than the canister fire from their cannon. Should an attacking unit get past that fire successfully, artillerists had little defense remaining. If you're concerned with them being assaulted, they must be boosted with infantry in the hex.

Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holme
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ahhh - ok... so if 50%+ *defending* SPs in Close Combat are artillery, the *attacker* gains the 4 column-shift advantage, due to the weakness of artillery defending against infantry. glad to have that clarified! while I understand that artillery alone was vulnerable to assault, I thought the devastating effect of canister on the attacking infantry accounted for the column-shift favoring the defending artillery - it never occurred to me the advantage would work the other way. thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
The artillery advantage in close combat comes in its defensive fire at 150%. If the attacker survives that without dying or running away then it has the advantage if the majority of the defenders are artillery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holme
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
defensive fire at 150%

ok - I guess I missed that, too. "canister range" on the weapons range chart...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.