Subject: The Redhorn Gate / Caradhras rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just defeated Redhorn Gate, unless we misplayed things....
Please help!

I had the good fortune of playing 3 (!) Northern Trackers throughout this quest. As such, I made mincemeat of the locations in the staging area. One of these locations was Caradhras, which was out of the game by turn 5.

Thereafter, upon completing Stage 2B, Snowdrifts, we were instructed as follows:

"Forced: After placing the 11th progress token on Snowdrifts, discard any active location. Caradhras becomes the active location."

What were we supposed to do at this point?
We made Caradhras the active location for a nanosecond, then saw that it had 9 progress token on it (which is what it needed to be fully explored), and then took it back out of the game.

Thank you!

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meitzler
United States
West Deptford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Northern trackers ability is optional, so put one less than the required progress on Cardhaus during quest one and two, then travel to it in quest three, otherwise it comes out of the victory display in quest 3 with no progress on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. We didn't think of doing it that way. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
Just defeated Redhorn Gate, unless we misplayed things....
Please help!

I had the good fortune of playing 3 (!) Northern Trackers throughout this quest. As such, I made mincemeat of the locations in the staging area. One of these locations was Caradhras, which was out of the game by turn 5.

Thereafter, upon completing Stage 2B, Snowdrifts, we were instructed as follows:

"Forced: After placing the 11th progress token on Snowdrifts, discard any active location. Caradhras becomes the active location."

What were we supposed to do at this point?
We made Caradhras the active location for a nanosecond, then saw that it had 9 progress token on it (which is what it needed to be fully explored), and then took it back out of the game.

Thank you!

shake

Sorry, but you misplayed that. When cards leave play, they lose all tokens (damage, progress, resource, whatever) that had been placed on them. So once you explored Caradhras out of the staging area, it should have had all its tokens removed. Then after finishing Snowdrifts, you'd have to bring it back into the game -- with no tokens on it.

The best way to use Northern Trackers to trivialize Caradhras within the rules is to stop after putting 8 tokens on it. (Which means you have to stop using your Northern Trackers for a bit, meaning other locations might pile up. The cost may or may not be worth it.) If you can pull that off, then when it becomes the active location after finishing Snowdrifts, you've already got 8 progress tokens on it (since it never left play, they're never discarded) and you're just one quest stage away from finishing it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

What about the earlier poster's point of making the progress from the Northern Trackers optional? Is that not something I can do? I didn't see any authority for it, but figured he knew something that I didn't. Or perhaps he meant that I could simply not quest with the character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Northern Tracker's ability is a response, and so it is optional whether you trigger it or not.

What you cannot do is trigger the NT's response and then pick and choose which locations to place progress on. It's all or nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
Thank you.

What about the earlier poster's point of making the progress from the Northern Trackers optional? Is that not something I can do? I didn't see any authority for it, but figured he knew something that I didn't. Or perhaps he meant that I could simply not quest with the character.

The text for Northern Tracker reads:

Quote:
Response: After Northern Tracker commits to a quest, place 1 progress token on each location in the staging area.

Responses are always optional, as per the rules. You can quest with NT but not use the response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Got it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.