Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

I'm trying to get a fairly thematic deck to beat the first quest from Treason of Saruman. I've gotten close, but I just can't put it over the top. (By thematic, I mean incorporate Legolas and Gimli, with probably lots of Rohan.)

My heroes are Legolas and spirit Theoden with Merry as the captive.

Gimli is in the deck available via A Good Harvest.

3 Ancient Mathom and 3 Foe-Hammers for card draw.

Blades of Gondolin for progress after killing.

Almost all of the spirit Rohan allies - especially those with 2 WP.

All of my losses have come from either pursuit value hitting 30 or an early hero death.

Any advice or decklists would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-TR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any deck advice for you at the moment, but unfortunately I do have some bad news...

Quote:
Gimli is in the deck available via A Good Harvest.

Sadly this doesn't work. A Good Harvest doesn't allow you to play cards without a resource match (even though it reeeeeeallly seems like it should). It simply allows you to use your "off-color" heroes to pay for cards that don't match their sphere, but do match another of your hero's spheres.

But otherwise I really feel your pain. That pursuit value mechanism is brutal. This quest is tough.

Edit: I've been corrected blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:
Sadly this doesn't work. A Good Harvest doesn't allow you to play cards without a resource match (even though it reeeeeeallly seems like it should). It simply allows you to use your "off-color" heroes to pay for cards that don't match their sphere, but do match another of your hero's spheres.

Why not?

You only need a "resource match" for 0 cost cards, AFAIK.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
I agree with Thanee. There is a restriction in the FAQ that prevents the use of A Good Harvest for playing a card with 0 cost without a resource match, but as long as you pay at least 1 resource A Good Harvest circumvents the need for a resource match.

I haven't tried to play this scenario with a thematic deck and I don't know what cards you have available, but how about using Eomer for your Tactics hero with Firefoot, and use the Legolas ally? The Rohan Warhorse should work well on either the Legolas hero or the Eomer hero, maybe even on Theoden. If you stick with Legolas as a hero, use Arod and Rivendell Blade. Steed of the Mark and Herugrim should be good attachments for Theoden. Maybe include some cards that prevent attacks (ex. Feint, The Wizard's Voice). Maybe include Ride to Ruin and The Riddermark's Finest to control the number of locations in the staging area. I'm sure you've thought of some of this already, but I hope something here will provide inspiration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K C

Centennial
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the rules:
Quote:
In order for a player to play a card from his hand (or to activate certain card effects), he must pay for it by spending resource tokens from the resource pool of a hero who has a resource icon that matches the card's sphere of influence. This is called a resource match.

and from the FAQ:
Quote:
Q: Can I used A Good Harvest to play a 0 cost card without a resource match?
A: No. A Good Harvest only allows you to spend resources for the named sphere, a resource match is still needed to play cards with no resource
cost.

A Good Harvest reads "Action: Name a sphere. Until the end of the phase, you can spend resources of any sphere when paying for cards that belong to the named sphere."

I could see arguments for either interpretation of the above in tandem, but my interpretation is this: You do need a resource match to play any card during the planning phase. Some cards, like Songs or Elrond, circumvent this by adding a sphere of influence to a hero, and by extension their resources. This still constitutes a resource match.

But A Good Harvest does not add spheres to heroes. It only allows resources to be spent on any sphere. Importantly, though, it does not negate the need for a resource match. I believe that it is intended for you to use any of your hero's resource pools to pay for any card for which you already have a match - through printed sphere icons, or through cards which add spheres. Unfortunately, you cannot use A Good Harvest to play The Galadhrim's Greeting with an all-tactics deck; or Beorn from a spirit deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The point is. There is a difference between playing cards that have 0 cost and cards that have 1+ cost.

For the first, you have to control a hero from the corresponding sphere.

For the latter, you must spend resources from a hero from the corresponding sphere. Since A Good Harvest allows you to pay for cards with resources from heroes belonging to any sphere, this part of the requirement is superseded. Essentially, any sphere will allow you to fulfill that resource match requirement (but only that).

Since there is no actual requirement to control a hero from the corresponding sphere, when playing cards with 1+ cost, you should be able to play out-of-sphere cards that way.

But only 1+ cost cards. 0 cost cards work different, and the resource match here is a different one, that A Good Harvest cannot provide.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to get back on track here...

This is a tough scenario. We played it 2-player and it was pretty rough with all the Archery going around and the necessity to fight and quest well from the get go.

We had quite a bit of healing, which was necessary to survive the constant pressure. Allies with decent health are also nice to soak up Archery.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you using ents, OP? If not, they're great for absorbing damage cheaply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
The point is. There is a difference between playing cards that have 0 cost and cards that have 1+ cost.

For the first, you have to control a hero from the corresponding sphere.

For the latter, you must spend resources from a hero from the corresponding sphere. Since A Good Harvest allows you to pay for cards with resources from heroes belonging to any sphere, this part of the requirement is superseded. Essentially, any sphere will allow you to fulfill that resource match requirement (but only that).

Since there is no actual requirement to control a hero from the corresponding sphere, when playing cards with 1+ cost, you should be able to play out-of-sphere cards that way.

But only 1+ cost cards. 0 cost cards work different, and the resource match here is a different one, that A Good Harvest cannot provide.

Bye
Thanee

Oh my, I had no idea about this. Thank you for correcting me! I'll edit my original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for suggestions. I agree with Thanee's logic on the use of Good Harvest.

I had tried Steed and Herugrim on Theoden, but found them too costly with lots of spirit cards in my deck. I had tried Arod on Legolas, but took it out. I had considered Rivendell Blade, but went for Blade of Gondolin instead. Maybe I need to mix/match.

I do have a couple of Booming Ents (tactics). There are no Ents in the spirit sphere to include. But this makes me consider using Treebeard ally. Hmmm....

Would still appreciate ideas and/or decklists.

Thanks so much
-TR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Treebeard for the win!! First try with him in the deck. He showed up, defended 3 or 4 attacks, and took a couple of points of archery damage.

Blood of Numenor and Unexpected Courage were also key in helping Aragorn take on a couple rounds of attacks from both Ugluk (5 atk) and Ugluk's Uruk-Hai (4 atk)

Did not get Gimli into play but I'm taking the win and moving on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good going!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.