Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is listten on the essengeek. Thgus that mean I am going to ba able to pick up a copy there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Michael is planning on selling some copies at Essen. If nothing has changed with the delivery schedule, you should be able to buy a copy and even have it signed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent! what booth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great news for us backers not going to Essen and have not received a copy yet. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Booth 7-E113 (Info taken from here)

ChillusMaximus wrote:
That's great news for us backers not going to Essen and have not received a copy yet. yuk

Well, he did do a poll in July asking all the backers if they are ok with him selling some copies in Essen. And 95% were ok with it. But maybe we'll even have our copies by then (although I don't know how long it takes to deliver stuff to Iceland).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather be in the minority in that argument for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Niddi77 wrote:

ChillusMaximus wrote:

Well, he did do a poll in July asking all the backers if they are ok with him selling some copies in Essen. And 95% were ok with it. But maybe we'll even have our copies by then (although I don't know how long it takes to deliver stuff to Iceland).

He said all copies would be mailed by eases and some would have it already. I understand this is a sticky topic, and I was on the other side in one of my other kick starters (because they didn't ship before Essen and sold copies) but for me, if all backers copies are in the mail, I have no problems with selling copies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oogarasu wrote:
Niddi77 wrote:

ChillusMaximus wrote:

He said all copies would be mailed by eases and some would have it already. I understand this is a sticky topic, and I was on the other side in one of my other kick starters (because they didn't ship before Essen and sold copies) but for me, if all backers copies are in the mail, I have no problems with selling copies

Magnanimous, but I can't feel that way. I don't believe anybody buying the game retail should be able to play the game before anyone who supported it through kickstarter. I can't play games while they are in the mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Oogarasu wrote:
Niddi77 wrote:

ChillusMaximus wrote:

Magnanimous, but I can't feel that way. I don't believe anybody buying the game retail should be able to play the game before anyone who supported it through kickstarter. I can't play games while they are in the mail.

I voted that I was fine with it. Essen buyers should be paying more than the Kickstarter price though. Kickstarter was meant to be the cheapest way to buy it. Perhaps that's some consolation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they do not pay shipping, they likely pay less. However, they do have to pay to ship thenselves to the con, so maybe they pay more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rickert wrote:

I completely understand both sides of this argument, and the problem here, is this will continue to always be a problem with kickstarted games. The timing of a release always seems to line up with at least 1 major CON, and publishers are always torn between backers and the CON itself. I will say, at least this creator asked his backers and wanted a vast majority before doing it vs some of the others I've backed that just did it without telling us, but I understand your concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oogarasu wrote:
rickert wrote:

I completely understand both sides of this argument, and the problem here, is this will continue to always be a problem with kickstarted games. The timing of a release always seems to line up with at least 1 major CON, and publishers are always torn between backers and the CON itself. I will say, at least this creator asked his backers and wanted a vast majority before doing it vs some of the others I've backed that just did it without telling us, but I understand your concern.

I think the only answer that makes sense and is honest at the same time is for the company to say: "We will ship to backers as quickly as we can but we will sell at major conventions, perhaps before backers have gotten their games." I would like it better than avoiding the topic or posting a poll afterwards when people who vote against it still have no recourse if the vote goes against them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Oogarasu wrote:
rickert wrote:

I think the only answer that makes sense and is honest at the same time is for the company to say: "We will ship to backers as quickly as we can but we will sell at major conventions, perhaps before backers have gotten their games." I would like it better than avoiding the topic or posting a poll afterwards when people who vote against it still have no recourse if the vote goes against them.

Another answer makes sense to me: don't assume we're getting anything unless explicitly stated during the campaign, i.e., don't expect to be guaranteed to get the game before convention goers do unless the project creator explicitly says so. This unwritten "rule" about backers getting it first is a bit silly IMO with the reactions to breaking of said rule often bordering on petulant childishness. Not saying that applies to you, but the tantrums I've seen with regards to not being first to get backed games ought to be cause for embarrassment. There are egregious examples of backers getting their stuff much later than even retail availability, and that's a legitimate beef, but in most cases we're talking a matter of weeks or maybe a month or so after a convention when the games get to backers. Is that worth being upset over?

Again IMO, the sooner we do away with this bit of folly the better. These guys gotta eat, and conventions are a big part of the lifeblood of a game company. We're backing a project and want it to be successful, right? Is that just for our benefit and enjoyment or do we also care for the wellbeing of the company producing this fine product for us? We ask, nay demand, frequent updates on projects because we feel entitled as backers and don't want to be treated as dollar figures. We want to be engaged and involved in the process. Shouldn't we then extend the same courtesy to the project creators as fellow human beings with very tight cashflow constraints instead of massive, faceless multi-national behemoths with deep wells of cash reserves? Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
rickert wrote:
Oogarasu wrote:
rickert wrote:

Another answer makes sense to me: don't assume we're getting anything unless explicitly stated during the campaign, i.e., don't expect to be guaranteed to get the game before convention goers do unless the project creator explicitly says so. This unwritten "rule" about backers getting it first is a bit silly IMO with the reactions to breaking of said rule often bordering on petulant childishness. Not saying that applies to you, but the tantrums I've seen with regards to not being first to get backed games ought to be cause for embarrassment. There are egregious examples of backers getting their stuff much later than even retail availability, and that's a legitimate beef, but in most cases we're talking a matter of weeks or maybe a month or so after a convention when the games get to backers. Is that worth being upset over?

Again IMO, the sooner we do away with this bit of folly the better. These guys gotta eat, and conventions are a big part of the lifeblood of a game company. We're backing a project and want it to be successful, right? Is that just for our benefit and enjoyment or do we also care for the wellbeing of the company producing this fine product for us? We ask, nay demand, frequent updates on projects because we feel entitled as backers and don't want to be treated as dollar figures. We want to be engaged and involved in the process. Shouldn't we then extend the same courtesy to the project creators as fellow human beings with very tight cashflow constraints instead of massive, faceless multi-national behemoths with deep wells of cash reserves? Just a thought.

I have to confess I don't get this response, though I like how complete the opinion is. I find that projects are the least likely to create hard feelings the less there is to assume. Why not have those running the project spell out that detail and leave nothing left to assume?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who Kickstarted the game, I have no problem with it being offered for purchase at Essen even if it's before I get mine. As long as they're doing everything they can to get the game to us Kickstarters as soon as possible (and it seems they are - they've been very open and communicative about their process), I honestly have no idea why I should care if they sell it at Essen or not. In fact, the idea that they have stock that they're intentionally not taking advantage of during a major convention seems counterproductive.

Refusing to sell the game there doesn't get me MY copy any faster and increases the game's exposure and profits, which is good for all involved, right? I get no extra enjoyment from knowing that others are being denied an experience just so I can be "first".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
As someone who Kickstarted the game, I have no problem with it being offered for purchase at Essen even if it's before I get mine. As long as they're doing everything they can to get the game to us Kickstarters as soon as possible (and it seems they are - they've been very open and communicative about their process), I honestly have no idea why I should care if they sell it at Essen or not. In fact, the idea that they have stock that they're intentionally not taking advantage of during a major convention seems counterproductive.

Refusing to sell the game there doesn't get me MY copy any faster and increases the game's exposure and profits, which is good for all involved, right? I get no extra enjoyment from knowing that others are being denied an experience just so I can be "first".

My point is a concept which I try to apply evenly to all companies conducting business on kickstarter. If backers don't care whether the product they helped pay to get produced is sold to people who didn't before it gets to backers, then what motivation would that company have to care about when backers get the game compared to the public? The company already has the money from backers. I'd like to know that every effort is being made to get the games into hands as soon as possible by actually getting the game in my hands before non-backers. I just think it should be a perk of backing unless the company says it won't be a perk BEFORE I back it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
My point is a concept which I try to apply evenly to all companies conducting business on kickstarter. If backers don't care whether the product they helped pay to get produced is sold to people who didn't before it gets to backers, then what motivation would that company have to care about when backers get the game compared to the public? The company already has the money from backers. I'd like to know that every effort is being made to get the games into hands as soon as possible by actually getting the game in my hands before non-backers. I just think it should be a perk of backing unless the company says it won't be a perk BEFORE I back it.

I understand many people feel that way - I just don't understand why. Not that I need to, I get that my lack of understanding doesn't in any way invalidate your, or anyone else's, priorities.

I remember when I got the email survey about whether or not it was OK to sell copies at Essen even if it was before I got my copy and I thought, "What do I care, as long as it doesn't slow down when I get mine?" Because, really, it has zero impact on me directly, and indirectly it may even help me if it increases the chances of a desirable expansion.

The perks I value are the tangible ones - the extra components that non-backers don't get. And I don't even care if others may eventually get them, I'm backing a game to guarantee that I get them. Non-backers have no such guarantee, and even if they get those components they'll most likely have to pay extra for them.

Upon reflection, it's really the guarantees I pay for. First, the guarantee that I'll actually get the game if the funding goals are reached. Second, the guarantee that I'll get it delivered as soon as possible. Third, the guarantee of bonus components at no added cost, as I mentioned above. Finally, the guarantee of a specific price point. Non-backers get none of those guarantees, and that's the value that makes me want to back certain projects. As long as all of those guarantees are met, I'm happy. What other people do or do not get has no bearing on my satisfaction at all.

Your view may differ, and that's fine. I actually just find this to be an interesting topic of discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
rickert wrote:

I understand many people feel that way - I just don't understand why. Not that I need to, I get that my lack of understanding doesn't in any way invalidate your, or anyone else's, priorities.

I remember when I got the email survey about whether or not it was OK to sell copies at Essen even if it was before I got my copy and I thought, "What do I care, as long as it doesn't slow down when I get mine?" Because, really, it has zero impact on me directly, and indirectly it may even help me if it increases the chances of a desirable expansion.

The perks I value are the tangible ones - the extra components that non-backers don't get. And I don't even care if others may eventually get them, I'm backing a game to guarantee that I get them. Non-backers have no such guarantee, and even if they get those components they'll most likely have to pay extra for them.

Upon reflection, it's really the guarantees I pay for. First, the guarantee that I'll actually get the game if the funding goals are reached. Second, the guarantee that I'll get it delivered as soon as possible. Third, the guarantee of bonus components at no added cost, as I mentioned above. Finally, the guarantee of a specific price point. Non-backers get none of those guarantees, and that's the value that makes me want to back certain projects. As long as all of those guarantees are met, I'm happy. What other people do or do not get has no bearing on my satisfaction at all.

Your view may differ, and that's fine. I actually just find this to be an interesting topic of discussion.

Well put. Just concerned about that second guarantee. Not always sure that gets accomplished for backers. Hopefully I will get mine before it gets sold at Essen and I will feel good about everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
MentatYP wrote:
rickert wrote:
Oogarasu wrote:
rickert wrote:

I have to confess I don't get this response, though I like how complete the opinion is. I find that projects are the least likely to create hard feelings the less there is to assume. Why not have those running the project spell out that detail and leave nothing left to assume?

I'm approaching the same problem, i.e. making sure backers are fully informed, from the opposite direction from you. You want project creators to explicitly state that assumed perks like backers getting stuff first aren't going to be provided if there's the possibility of games being sold at conventions. I want project creators to explicitly state what will be provided and we as backers work from there instead of injecting our own assumed perks.

While I do understand where this position of assuming early fulfillment is coming from, I don't think it needs to be an assumption at all. I'm personally thrilled that 95% of backers of Galaxies are ok with how this is shaking out. That's not to say that 95% of backers would have been ok with it if Gamelyn hadn't asked us first (back to the whole assumption thing) but it's encouraging that so many appreciate the difficulties of running a small business and that getting the game a smidge earlier isn't worth potentially hurting the livelihood of those who work so hard to provide us with our fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
rickert wrote:
MentatYP wrote:
rickert wrote:
Oogarasu wrote:
rickert wrote:

I'm approaching the same problem, i.e. making sure backers are fully informed, from the opposite direction from you. You want project creators to explicitly state that assumed perks like backers getting stuff first aren't going to be provided if there's the possibility of games being sold at conventions. I want project creators to explicitly state what will be provided and we as backers work from there instead of injecting our own assumed perks.

While I do understand where this position of assuming early fulfillment is coming from, I don't think it needs to be an assumption at all. I'm personally thrilled that 95% of backers of Galaxies are ok with how this is shaking out. That's not to say that 95% of backers would have been ok with it if Gamelyn hadn't asked us first (back to the whole assumption thing) but it's encouraging that so many appreciate the difficulties of running a small business and that getting the game a smidge earlier isn't worth potentially hurting the livelihood of those who work so hard to provide us with our fun.

My problem comes from the math in my head. A company can't get the game sent to me in time for me to enjoy by Essen, but they can get the special shipping costs paid to get it to Essen in time and yet still make substantial enough profit to make it worthwhile. I am suspicious by nature and the number of times this happens makes me more so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
MentatYP wrote:
rickert wrote:
MentatYP wrote:
rickert wrote:
Oogarasu wrote:
rickert wrote:

My problem comes from the math in my head. A company can't get the game sent to me in time for me to enjoy by Essen, but they can get the special shipping costs paid to get it to Essen in time and yet still make substantial enough profit to make it worthwhile. I am suspicious by nature and the number of times this happens makes me more so.

Maybe the price per copy will be higher at Essen to compensate for the rushed shipping.

As a backer I'd like a perk. I'm not going to be overly choosy. It could be earlier delivery, lower cost or extra stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The price for the normal / deluxe edition will be aprox. what you would have had to pay for the game incl. world delivery ($12). So it's definitely more than what backers from the US had to pay. And according to one of the last updates it's likely that you will get the game sometime late September (again, for the US - Europe / AUS will take a bit longer, as always...), so before Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnpusher wrote:
rickert wrote:

Maybe the price per copy will be higher at Essen to compensate for the rushed shipping.

It is. Games that debut at conventions are invariably sold at MSRP. That's how they can pay the extra shipping cost and still make it worth selling. If I could be bothered even less about convention goers getting theirs first I would, because they're paying through the nose to get these games early.

Quote:
As a backer I'd like a perk. I'm not going to be overly choosy. It could be earlier delivery, lower cost or extra stuff.

Yep! If there are no perks there's little incentive to back a project. Early delivery is a great perk for some as long as it's explicitly stated as one. Personally as somebody happy to wait a few months or more for most retail games to hit 50% off MSRP that's not really a perk I care about, but if it brings in more backers then fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Niddi77 wrote:
The price for the normal / deluxe edition will be aprox. what you would have had to pay for the game incl. world delivery ($12). So it's definitely more than what backers from the US had to pay. And according to one of the last updates it's likely that you will get the game sometime late September (again, for the US - Europe / AUS will take a bit longer, as always...), so before Essen.

Like you said, Since this is shipped from US most US backers will probably have this game before Essen. Europe backers (those with the easiest chance of being at Essen) are the ones who might feel a bit slighted by this, but from the survey it looks like a small percentage. I'm not sure how this game will ship to Euro backers. Hopefully they rush getting together all Euro (other non-US countries) first so they have a better chance of getting there before Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as an aside, it's worth noting that since many game companies (and by extension, their designers/reps/etc.) attend Essen - and other conventions, that shipping costs might be somewhat less, as many of the said people will actually bring copies (albeit a limited amount).

Seriously, given the size of the box, I could fairly easily fit 20+ TEG in a suitcase. Who needs clothes at a con?? blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.