Subject: New Skills rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Vinci
United States
Oak Brook
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am not clear on how new Skills are acquired. I can only find two places where the Skill Markers are located (other than the one you pick at the beginning of the game and place near your portrait). The first is a face-down pile formed at the start of the game after everyone has selected a skill. The second is the three face-up Skills which are placed on the Workshop after it is explored.

The section for Experience Points mentions that you can turn in your first XP marker and select either 1 face-up Skill Marker if available or choose 3 of the face-down Skill Markers. I believe the only face-up Skill Marker would be located at the Workshop, but where do the 3 face-down Skill Markers come from?

Thanks,
Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
You need 2 XP markers per new skill. So the 2nd time you build a work, for a free action you may discard your 2 XP and draw 3 face-down skills, select 1 to keep, placing it face-up in front of you, and discard the other 2 face-up next to the stack of face-down skills. The next player to get 2 XP can choose to either take one of the face-up skills previously discarded, or draw 3 face-down and repeat as before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
IIRC when you are standing on an intersection of the Workshop, at the cost of 1 action, you may place one of your skills on the tile and take one of the face-up skills there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Vinci
United States
Oak Brook
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ryan Keane wrote:
You need 2 XP markers per new skill. So the 2nd time you build a work, for a free action you may discard your 2 XP and draw 3 face-down skills, select 1 to keep, placing it face-up in front of you, and discard the other 2 face-up next to the stack of face-down skills. The next player to get 2 XP can choose to either take one of the face-up skills previously discarded, or draw 3 face-down and repeat as before.

You only need 1XP because the second time you build a work you would obtain the new skill by trading in the 1XP. You also mention that you draw 3 face-down skills, and I now realize that those simply come from the original draw pile that was placed face-down. So, if I am correct, the process is that you look through those 3 skills, pick 1, and leave the other two face-up next to the face-down pile. I was just reading too much into this.

The Workshop is another way to gain a new skill, but you must use an action for this.

Thanks,
Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
At the beginning of the game, each player gets 3 skills, selects and places one face up in front of them and discards the other 2 face-down. All the discards are then reshuffled and form a face-down stack next to the table. Later, when a player draws 3, the 2 discards are placed face-up next to the stack. So usually there will be a growing number of face-up skills to choose from.

It's definitely 2 XP per skill. It goes like this:
Build your first work, gain 1 XP
Build your second work, gain 1 XP, discard 2 XP to get 1 new skill
Build your third work, gain 1 XP,
Build your fourth work, gain 1 XP, discard 2 XP to get 1 new skill
etc.

Edit: Ok, I see how what I said might be confusing, since you only have 1 physical XP token. When you get the 2nd XP, you don't actually take any token. You are discarding the 1 physical XP along with the 1 virtual XP to get a new skill and reset your player mat to 0 XP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Vinci
United States
Oak Brook
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ryan Keane wrote:
At the beginning of the game, each player gets 3 skills, selects and places one face up in front of them and discards the other 2 face-down. All the discards are then reshuffled and form a face-down stack next to the table. Later, when a player draws 3, the 2 discards are placed face-up next to the stack. So usually there will be a growing number of face-up skills to choose from.

It's definitely 2 XP per skill. It goes like this:
Build your first work, gain 1 XP
Build your second work, gain 1 XP, discard 2 XP to get 1 new skill
Build your third work, gain 1 XP,
Build your fourth work, gain 1 XP, discard 2 XP to get 1 new skill
etc.

Edit: Ok, I see how what I said might be confusing, since you only have 1 physical XP token. When you get the 2nd XP, you don't actually take any token. You are discarding the 1 physical XP along with the 1 virtual XP to get a new skill and reset your player mat to 0 XP.

I think I understand how the XP work with the skills. You will either have 1 physical XP marker or none, but your skills are cumulative (i.e., you do not turn in your old skills, but keep gathering new ones as you build). Am I correct?

I have another question. Suppose you are playing a four player game. With the expansion, there are 22 skills to start with, but each player selects 3 for a total of 12 and chooses 1 from the 3. What happens to the other 10 skills? Are they put back in the box? In this case, I thought 18 skills (the 8 skills not selected plus the other 10)would be shuffled into a draw pile, but I now see that the instructions indicate that all unchosen skills are reshuffled. From this, I assume that the remaining 10 skills are out of the game entirely. Am I correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, correct. You keep gathering new skills. E.g. if you've built 4 works, you will have 3 skills. Some of them combo well together.

You were correct the first time about the skills deck - after setup, all 18 are shuffled and form the starting draw pile. Skills never go back in the box.

I believe the rules were translated from German and not edited very well in the English version, so taking a literal reading can draw some incorrect conclusions. And Jim, please note I'm just responding based on how we figured out how to play it - I don't know if it's the official word. Even the designers don't seem that strict - some of their responses on rules questions have been basically saying "This is how we play it....but you can play it differently if you want. It's your game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Vinci
United States
Oak Brook
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ryan Keane wrote:
Yes, correct. You keep gathering new skills. E.g. if you've built 4 works, you will have 3 skills. Some of them combo well together.

You were correct the first time about the skills deck - after setup, all 18 are shuffled and form the starting draw pile. Skills never go back in the box.

I believe the rules were translated from German and not edited very well in the English version, so taking a literal reading can draw some incorrect conclusions. And Jim, please note I'm just responding based on how we figured out how to play it - I don't know if it's the official word. Even the designers don't seem that strict - some of their responses on rules questions have been basically saying "This is how we play it....but you can play it differently if you want. It's your game."

Ryan,

I really appreciate your responsiveness. You have clarified many things for me. It did not seem like there was a logical reason to eliminate some skills from the game, but the word "unchosen" threw me off. I will play the way you indicated.

I started another thread about why whiskey is categorized as both a raw material and 1-time gear. I believe one of the game designers responded, but I would be interested in your thoughts.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Goslar
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryans interpretion is aligning to our intent.

Yeah, the rule process was a bit convoluted with translating on our side and editing and layout on the other side. We changed the process for our upcoming games.

We started our game design journey with recognizing and changing stuff we did not like in games, so always try to encourage people to change and form games to their liking. For me one of the two main points board games win in comparison to computer games, you can instantly fix problems and try something new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.