Subject: End game Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the variant we use, cobbled together from various sources. We find it makes the game much better.

*Draft cards at Beginning
*VP Chips secret, only province vp scored on track
*On clearing of 4th vp card, everyone has one more turn then game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like it, but if there is one more turn for everybody. It results in a silly invasion moves, where there is no chance to defend. As later the wars get resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jux_ wrote:
I quite like it, but if there is one more turn for everybody. It results in a silly invasion moves, where there is no chance to defend. As later the wars get resolved.
I'd suggest resolving wars ONLY on the "end game" action itself. If you run out of moves, then don't.

But then here you ended on the 4th card, maybe immediate end on the 5th, leaving 4th as is, so you have that middle ground where you can play normally. However with hidden VP (which is fine by me in principle) you'd presumably never do an end game action anyway - you'd certainly have to drop the "must win" criteria...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially given hidden VP and what... 100% drafted locations, I'd really suggest trying scoring variable points per territory, equal to it's native defense strength. If it's all drafted then it's implicitly not unfair, and might make for some more interesting motivations on why you do what you do.

ChillusMaximus wrote:
I don't like it.
care to make your repsonse useful and or informative?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
ChillusMaximus wrote:
I don't like it.
care to make your repsonse useful and or informative?

Sure, sorry...

I do like the part about doing a full draft in the beginning. Ever since playing the game for the first time I kind of felt that it would take that random factor about getting no gold or shields regions. Without gold or shields in the beginning you could easily get stuck last if playing against seasoned players plus it would further expand on the concept of deck building.

But how would the draft work?

From every region card in the deck?

From 20 randomly drawn cards in a 4 player game?

I haven't tried it at all, it just an idea that would need testing before I could recommend anything.

I feel like MW decided to not have a region card draft in the rules as written because it will add even more time to the game. The time factor isn't a problem to me or my group FWIW.

Regarding ending the game prematurely, I do not like the ideas written above. It takes out all the deck building skills and strategy regarding building roads and castles in your regions. 10 plays in and I've noticed that the person thinning his deck and by the time the fourth VP card is emptied, has only good improvement cards and shields in his deck along side a decent road system wins the game within a couple of turns.

Having problems with games stretching out longer than lets say 5 turns is an issue with new players to the game.

To me, this end game variant sounds just as crazy as the time people were talking about using a card-less variant in Brass because it was so difficult to do what you wanted to do in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Espada
Spain
flag msg tools
ChillusMaximus wrote:

Regarding ending the game prematurely, I do not like the ideas written above. It takes out all the deck building skills and strategy regarding building roads and castles in your regions. 10 plays in and I've noticed that the person thinning his deck and by the time the fourth VP card is emptied, has only good improvement cards and shields in his deck along side a decent road system wins the game within a couple of turns.

Having problems with games stretching out longer than lets say 5 turns is an issue with new players to the game.

And seasoned players can't follow this strategy at once, returning again to static game ending?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davinci wrote:
ChillusMaximus wrote:

And seasoned players can't follow this strategy at once, returning again to static game ending?

I'm not seasoned enough to shed light on that.

The game ending mechanic does not bother me at the least because I don't think of it as 'the end' but rather a little more than half way from the beginning, if that makes any sense.

The later half of the game is where the skill part kicks in. The meat. I really like the ebb and flow feel of it. Just because the fourth card has been emptied doesn't mean the game is in overtime. We've just entered the fourth quarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.