Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The book that inspired my intelligent ships thread also introduced a curious concept I hadn't considered. When all the ship's personnel were lost, the main holodeck automatically generated a synthetic crewman -- Jean Luc Picard in holographic form. We've seen holographic people who were pretty convincing (if they weren't the holodeck would be a lot less entertaining). Such an "advanced" synthetic person designed to operate as closely to Picard as possible might be useful to a computer designed NOT to be intelligent, but designed to definitely be capable.

It leads to interesting speculation for STAW. One can envision a TECH card called Holographic captain (similar in concept to the ECH of Voyager) but based on a specific real captain. If the captain is disabled, the card is activated and may use any captain card from the faction (even the disabled one or one already in the fleet). Each planning phase roll an attack dice. On a blank, captain skill is 1 and no elite talents may be used and no captain's text may be used. For any other roll, the captain may be used as per normal. Place a mission token on the card. In the end phase when there are three mission tokens, discard the TECH.

The rules might not be right, but I'm just trying to speculate on how one might implement this idea. What do you think of this idea? Would you like it if WK actually did something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of reminds me of a transporter-related issue that I was wondering about - considering that transporter cloning is a solidly known issue in the Star Trek universe, why can't they keep backups of their best personnel? Have the transporter whip up an extra Picard when things get dire? The obvious limitation being that the people who would be the best candidates for this would have the most moral obligations to it, but it's still unexplored potential.

But it's definitely true that there are mechanical means in the Star Trek universe of reproducing people - the hologram Leah Brahms being an exact example of what you're suggesting, and the android of Dr. Soong's ex-wife also being another possibility. With the hologram at least, Voyager does give some clues as to why ships aren't equipped with emergency command holograms, because most of the lower-level officers don't respect a hologram, and would be unlikely to follow its orders.

So, really, I think it comes down to residual senses of ethics and prejudices handed down from earlier centuries - the concept is absolutely efficient, but could struggle in practice from those psychological factors. It's absolutely worth exploring, though, and a "Fistful of Picards" scenario using the concept could be a lot of fun to play.

As to the card you suggested, I think it's a good notion for a card, though I'd give it a Gareb-style price structure (i.e. the Skill of the emulated Captain affects its SP cost), and require that the Captain used be attached to the card in some way - it can still be a replica of a Captain already in play, the card just needs to be there to ensure it doesn't have too much flexibility upon activation. It could also be a Shinzon-style design that lets you play a shell game with having multiple Captains you can pick from upon activation (under that circumstance, price would be based on the highest-Skill Captain assigned to the option pool).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Star Trek and Attackwing, but I don't want to see a holographic ANYTHING. Ever again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
terrakhan wrote:
I love Star Trek and Attackwing, but I don't want to see a holographic ANYTHING. Ever again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please state the nature of the Picardical emergency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.