Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Korpelainen
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Serdab's set-aside cards don't count towards the usual five drawn, right?

2) I assume Victory cannot be used to entomb itself as an action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) When the Serdab is played the cards that are set aside from your current hand are added to next hand. So its 5 new drawn cards plus how many you set aside from playing the Serdab.

2) Victory I don't know. Seems it could be yes you could entomb it as your action, but that might not be the designers intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mb
My interpretation: by playing Victory, in order to activate its action, it means that Victory is in play and can be entombed as a result of its own action. The card supplement, oddly, does not address this exact question, but it provides the following expanded wording that appears, to me, to affirm that Victory can entomb itself: "Entomb a card that you have already played this turn for its action or cash value."

It's possible the game designer could say there's some sort of liminal state between playing an action and completing the action, thereby meaning that Victory is not technically "in play" until its action has been completed, but this would not be intuitive to me from knowing other VotK rules and playing other deckbuilders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Korpelainen
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume 'already played for action' means that the text of the card has already been resolved (or occasionally delayed) completely. I believe a card does not enter play unless/until all text is resolved. In the middle of the resolution of Victory, it is not yet in play, since putting into play and resolving card text happen simultaneously.

Clearly a designer ruling is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I understand interpreting "already played" as "already played and resolved," but I disagree with you about a card not entering play until all text is resolved; you must first play a card in order to perform its action, otherwise you'd be performing an action of a card in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Korpelainen
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that makes sense.

Nevertheless, the meaning of 'already played' still needs to be clarified. It's not unusual that players in rules-threads rally a lot of certainty that a rule is intended one way, only to later find out that the designers had something else in mind. We really don't know until Tom responds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nkorppi wrote:

2) I assume Victory cannot be used to entomb itself as an action?

Hey! I never thought of that! Thanks to all for your commentary. Here is my ruling: Victory cannot be used to entomb itself. I will make an appropriate entry in the online card clarifications.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.