Subject: Does the Reproduction baby bottle icon bother anyone else? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I bought the game and I'm reading the rules, looks great, until I come across the baby bottle icon for the reproduction action.

Did this break the theme of the game for anyone else?

Baby bottles were not in wide use until they were more easily mass produced in the 20th century. Even if you go back further, the rubber nipple is invented in the 1840s.

I feel like this was a complete miss by the graphic designer in trying to find a good icon to represent this. Am I missing something? This seems incredibly unthematic, because, as far as I can tell, the game expects to be placed somewhere in the time of the late 17th, early 18th century.

Wouldn't a swaddled baby have been better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:

Never even thought about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Fink
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
never thought about this, but you are right... unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never noticed it either. I tend to overlook detail like that, especially if the game is good and fun, like this one is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also noticed it right away, and thought it odd. Kind of like the happy guy on the cover of Imperial Settlers wearing the pre-modern-looking hat and collared, fitted shirt, when rest of the art in the game seems to be ancient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
If this had been a simulation, I would have thought it hugely inappropriate, but Archipelago isn't going to be confused for a simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm.

There's always a bigger fish, I guess.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
It always looked out of place to me, even without knowing the history of the baby bottle. But, it doesn't bother me too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
woosh ito
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
It always looked out of place to me, even without knowing the history of the baby bottle. But, it doesn't bother me too much.

That's how I feel about it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um... nope. Not me.

But then, one of my wargames signifies amphibious vehicles with a yellow rubber duck on their chits, and that doesn't bother me, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garmon
United States
Panama City
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tempestofcatan wrote:
veector wrote:
So I bought the game and I'm reading the rules, looks great, until I come across the baby bottle icon for the reproduction action.

Baby bottles were not in wide use until they were more easily mass produced in the 20th century. Even if you go back further, the rubber nipple is invented in the 1840s.

I feel like this was a complete miss by the graphic designer in trying to find a good icon to represent this. Am I missing something? This seems incredibly unthematic, because, as far as I can tell, the game expects to be placed somewhere in the time of the late 17th, early 18th century.

Wouldn't a swaddled baby have been better?

you're right. they should have gone with a bloody placenta.

Or perhaps a breast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Castrequini
Brazil
Valinhos
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jareck80 wrote:
Or perhaps a breast.

boobs are not allowed...look at my avatar...there were boobs there and I was enforced to wear bra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's no shortage of thematic disconnects here, such as why native unrest increases when foreign demands aren't met. Or that native unrest increases not when they're being exploited, but when they're not being exploited *enough*.

Aside from the exploration component, I think this game would be a better fit for a theme like that of the Tropico video game series. By the 20th century, there's enough of a local economy for citizens to actually need currency to pay rent and buy goods. It makes sense when someone runs off and enjoys those rebels because they're unemployed or homeless or don't like your foreign policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Nabedian
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
All out of bubblegum
mbmbmbmbmb
boddekker wrote:
Um... nope. Not me.

But then, one of my wargames signifies amphibious vehicles with a yellow rubber duck on their chits, and that doesn't bother me, either.

Well, to be fair, there is a class of WWII military amphibious vehicles colloquially known as "Ducks". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.