Hide
4 Posts

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar» Forums » Strategy

Subject: can the double spin stop big resource in multiplayer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pearlman
msg tools
In a two player game, barring a very strange blocker arrangement, I think it does come down to a tactical game of who can play resource tech strategy the best.

But in a multiplayer game, the double spins might tip the balance. Big resources has a lot of setup to do in a short time. In just 14 turns, it has to go up 3 levels in two technologies, stockpile a bunch of food, and get to 5 or 6 workers, or else it isn't ready to snatch up the level two buildings that are its main source of points. With two or more players that aren't playing big resources, that means 4 double spins.

Low corn strategies are great at using double spins. They like to keep most of their workers on the board and let the spins do the work, so the double spin fits right now.

Big corn is less vulnerable to double spins because it is much harder to stall. It can also employ double spins itself to push its workers further up the wheel. But big resources is unable to retaliate, because it doesn't want to further shorten an already short game. Big corn doesn't have to let its workers get all the way to the top of its wheel, so it's easier to stay in a position to benefit from a double spin. If you're already on the 5th square, getting bumped up another square is meaningless. But if you were gonna be pulled up at the 3rd or 4th square, a double spin is great for you.

I haven't been able to test this counter strategy yet, because it requires more than one good player to be ready to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont disagree with the analysis, but my question here is, where is low corn getting all of these double spins from? You only get one per game unless you hit the top of a temple. Maybe you can get to the top of green before the end of the second season, but I'm not sure that denying big resource two actions is going to hurt him THAT much. There is another thread where we have discussed what would be required to keep a double spin strategy moving, but the amount of resources you have to spend to keep in moving doesn't allow you to gain any points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pearlman
msg tools
OK, that's my mistake. I had thought that each player started out with two double spins.

That's a bit of a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Dove
United States
Easton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In 4 player if two players go resource strategy they will get in each other's way enough that other strategies work better. Depends on the monuments, but in tournament play I have seen big corn, temples with the double temple monument and skulls all beat resource as long as two are going resource. No need for double spins unless it tactically makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.