Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Gamehappy
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Fans

WE endeavored to open the box on "Victory in Europe". On game start with David Hill groaning about how he hates this game during setup. I guess a fear from the poorly written rule system which he took weeks to preface. As a kick starter game it was noticeable that set up locations were not clear and following a uniform pattern. When locating territories for unit placement it became difficult to complete. The naming scheme changed where locations without national capitols were substituted with town names that the human eye had difficulty finding. Perhaps a way to cut up a particular state (such as) I.E. California into more territory movement /sections that the game desired. Leaving no name at all.

We attempted the setup for 1943 scenario. Finding that units for this game were not printed with this game copy. So we had to use units from other nations to substitute.

Game play comprised of using card choices for action opportunity much like memoir 44.
Step 1. Involved a planned attack by moving your units movement to attack victims.
Step 2. A retaliatory reinforcement move was allowed by the opponent from neighboring territories before the attack was a calculated.

Attacks were paired with units with single roll. one on one attacks. A hit declared for a roll of 5 or 6. Overun capture was possible and as play progressed, this felt more like 'France 1940'. Long lines of units battling as national borders waved. This was not the Axis and Allies satisfaction of knowing the most likely assured victory and capture of a territory from start to finish.

The new novel ideas of this game includes the fog of war.
A high light of this includes a naval battle example in not seeing recognizing British units in Britain thier identity's or attack strength. Those units made a counter attack on my naval attack against British battleships in the Mediterranean.. It was a complete British rout. Units all the away from Britain pounced hard on the weak German Navy. Without seeing these units made a unique factor for this game.

Units are created and assigned strength factors from 1-4. Strength point values can be spent on units in the field for repair and re- strengthened back to full hit points if desired. Units could be destroyed but not lost permanently in the game. As reinforcement allotment was given these units could be rebuilt /reborn at factories.. These reinforcement values were calculated by board territories with existing values. Yet not all territories had value and made the point that these might be locations of heavy fighting for a historical or games intended purpose.

An unrealistic concept to heal Tanks and Air units long distances from where factory’s existed. And new units had to begin the long walk back to the front lines from factory locations.

The game moved slowly not seeing real distinction from real estate capture. Which might be to the games detriment. But we only completed one turn and Mr hill called it quits. Difficult to learn a game without a mastery of victory conditions. We vaguely knew that controlling key set territories was a point of denying the enemy reinforcement money or power. But when to realize a victor and calling quits was beyond our experience.

The Pro's
Game distinction for VoE will be the hidden units format.

The cons :

The board was of course too small. The box attractively designed for a vertical bookshelf style but has a very tight fit for its components. Without room for expansion parts.

Card draw action has been criticized by some players in the past. Limiting action freedom for all units everywhere.

An unrealistic concept to heal Tanks and Air units long distances from where factory’s existed.

The rules are poorly written not well clarified or play tested and missing logical organizational structure at some points.

Seemly a hybrid of Axis and allies, memoir 44, and stratego .....I cant make judgment on this game with just one play . It was a rough first start for! Victory in Europe . But Mr dimmick and I will try again before we pass judgment on the game. Perhaps your experiences will be different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like your negative nancy friend didn't help you have a chance to enjoy yourself much

But yeah, there's a fair bit of effort needed to learn the game beyond just reading the rulebook. Especially if you're completely unfamiliar with the bloack game genre!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cameron
Australia
Maylands
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for tank and air reinforcements in the field, you have to assume a level of abstraction in the supply and logistics system. Try not to think of the first step of a block being the same as the other three. The first step of the block has your forces at just enough strength to be combat effective, but also contains all the support elements, such as HQ units, field hospitals, mechanics, fuel/food/ammo/spare parts dumps, detachments like AA or artillery, communications posts, and so on. Getting all of those elements organised needs to be done back at home.

When you increase the strength of your tanks and planes on existing forces, that's part of your supply network which the game hides from you. You don't need to keep track of a load of tanks on trains and ships being sent to the front. The game takes care of that so you can keep focused on what happens when they get unloaded, manned and armed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the map and box are too small and it was an odd decision to have multiple names for areas and to not remain consistent in referencing them. The rules as published definitely had issues but most of the problems have been addressed with the 1.1 rules that came out in June. Did you play using those?

The fog of war is definitely a perk, but it's neither new nor novel for a Columbia block game. And actually, the fog of war makes the least sense for naval units. Both sides knew the precise location and disposition of any ships that were in port. The only "fog of war" was whether you could find them to force a decisive engagement once they were out at sea. So the blocks actually model the wrong thing: you know where your opponent has ships but no idea what they are. In real life, you knew what the ships were, but you didn't know WHERE they were once at sea... BTW ROn and I talked about this issue (and shore bombardments) at WBC and we were both in a agreement. I'll just leave it at, Ron didn't have the final say on every issue...

I have no issue with units repairing near the front line. Sometimes Panzer corps were sent back to Germany for a total refit but often they were just reinforced, just off the line. So I don't think it's unrealistic at all...

As for the card draw limiting freedom of action - that's the whole point! If you want to be able to move and attack with every unit every turn, I suggest you stick to Axis and Allies style games. It really comes down to personal choice, but I think I speak for most wargamers when I state that the game has more interesting decisions when the actions are limited in some manner - whether it be command points, ops, chit-pull, card driven etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The step up from A&A is with this Europe Aflame while even talk upon the "Pacific" etc. is ongoing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.