Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
508 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: RSP (no RSP) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
This is the first time it's happened that I know of. So it's hard to tell from where it stems. For all we know newuser18 wandered in from the internets via a search, got mad, and demanded the admins move it. All it takes is one person. That's the threshold with RSP in a mishmash like this. A whole separate subforum for RSP is there for a reason. Having tagged RSP threads exist with any type of protest in the presence of others in a multi-subject forum (even a subforum such as this) probably isn't an option.

So the options seem to be 1) remove ALL RSP threads to the RSP forum 2) exist as we have with a removal by request basis and basically just operate by goodwill as always. Part of goodwill is to not be hyperreactive. Domino effect. Same principles why we can keep playing Werewolf without it falling apart (because it's an easy game to both cheat at and be cruel with).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very possible that's the first time someone had an issue and requested a thread be removed. It could be that is the way things are, but this is the first time it was used.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Gel, thanks for giving more background on some of the other threads/forums on BGG. I don't wander far much anymore.

I appreciate your thoughts, but:

gelrod wrote:
[...]...I have a feeling a particular individual[...]


Is not really a way I like to base decisions of any import, especially in a situation that's only happened once thus far. There are a lot of one-off things that are possibly unless it trends.

The thread was at 27 posts and the last 5 or so were about a fake nightfall, so it wasn't exactly tearing things up apart from the juicy thread title.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
It's better to be concerned than apathetic. Together we will conquer the world. Gelrod/Murph 2016
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread should be moved to Madagascar; with the lemurs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mb
Site rules are NO posts about Religion, Sex, or Politics outside of the designated RSP forum. That is not negotiable. Simply tagging something as "RSP" is not sufficient - we do not want those topics in the general forum areas.

The RSP threads that have been taking place in The Village Square have largely been able to exist because no one else really took notice of them. Forum moderators can't read every single thread that gets posted on the site, so if no one reports a thread then moderators likely won't happen upon it by chance and it gets left.

For whatever reason, that wasn't true of the Kim Davis thread. It was reported by multiple users as a violation and also flagged as Wrong Forum, which prompted it being moved.

Now that that seal has been broken I have gotten questions and complaints about some (not all, but some) of the other Village Square RSP threads.

So the direction things are going, we are looking at the end of the RSP topic threads in this forum. The main question at this point is whether it would be preferred that I move the existing threads to RSP so that the discussion can continue there, or lock them but leave them here.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
The Village Square is its own sub community within BGG and often times we may want to have RSP discussions without subjecting ourselves to the RSP community itself.




4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
gelrod wrote:
The Village Square is its own sub community within BGG and often times we may want to have RSP discussions without subjecting ourselves to the RSP community itself.


Your point was proven rather quickly.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Site rules are NO posts about Religion, Sex, or Politics outside of the designated RSP forum. That is not negotiable. Simply tagging something as "RSP" is not sufficient - we do not want those topics in the general forum areas.

The RSP threads that have been taking place in The Village Square have largely been able to exist because no one else really took notice of them. Forum moderators can't read every single thread that gets posted on the site, so if no one reports a thread then moderators likely won't happen upon it by chance and it gets left.

For whatever reason, that wasn't true of the Kim Davis thread. It was reported by multiple users as a violation and also flagged as Wrong Forum, which prompted it being moved.

Now that that seal has been broken I have gotten questions and complaints about some (not all, but some) of the other Village Square RSP threads.

So the direction things are going, we are looking at the end of the RSP topic threads in this forum. The main question at this point is whether it would be preferred that I move the existing threads to RSP so that the discussion can continue there, or lock them but leave them here.


Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least you're being consistent, I suppose. It's your site so I can't fault you for that.

I'd suggest asking the people participating in those threads...my guess would be that nobody wants anything locked. Either way, I imagine discussion will die. I think people like talking RSP here because we're quite a bit more civil than the wholly unmoderated RSP part of the site. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to respond.


Civility went down the toilet when people complained about the Kim Davis topic. I think all RSP should be moved if this is to be the standard people are reaching for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I've reported nothing, but I'm not surprised this was the type of headline that finally drove the spike. I guess I was feeling that unease right from the start.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
First Cassy.
Then here.
Mafia Universe rises.
My neck has a kink.

Too much coincidence.

Sound the alarm.



To stations.

This is not a drill.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
I've reported nothing, but I'm not surprised this was the type of headline that finally drove the spike. I guess I was feeling that unease right from the start.


I thought the topic was designed to create less complaining and more conversation... Seems like a good idea to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Site rules are NO posts about Religion, Sex, or Politics outside of the designated RSP forum. That is not negotiable. Simply tagging something as "RSP" is not sufficient - we do not want those topics in the general forum areas.

The RSP threads that have been taking place in The Village Square have largely been able to exist because no one else really took notice of them. Forum moderators can't read every single thread that gets posted on the site, so if no one reports a thread then moderators likely won't happen upon it by chance and it gets left.

For whatever reason, that wasn't true of the Kim Davis thread. It was reported by multiple users as a violation and also flagged as Wrong Forum, which prompted it being moved.

Now that that seal has been broken I have gotten questions and complaints about some (not all, but some) of the other Village Square RSP threads.

So the direction things are going, we are looking at the end of the RSP topic threads in this forum. The main question at this point is whether it would be preferred that I move the existing threads to RSP so that the discussion can continue there, or lock them but leave them here.

Octavian, I understand your reasoning behind all of this, and I understand why consistent, albeit draconian, measures need to be followed to maintain civility and keep BGG from degrading into the sort of RSP and personal attack forum that it clearly does not want to become. Unfortunately, it greatly saddens me. I don't venture into the RSP forum due to the lack of civil, intelligent, insightful, and meaningful discourse on controversial topics. For RSP tagged threads in The Village Square, I have found them to predominantly be civil, intelligent, insightful, and meaningful, despite the RSP nature. Even when things occasionally cross the line and start to veer away from civilities and friendly discourse, the BGG WW sub-community has generally done a good job of reigning in the conflict and restoring the sort of order that BGG prides itself on.

As someone that has infrequently posted in the various RSP threads and civil discussions that have occurred on the BGG WW subforums, I would be very uncomfortable having those threads moved into the RSP forum where they would be exposed to the toxic cesspool of BGG griefers and those looking for controversy and negativity rather than the original intent of those threads.
13 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Laladien wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:
I've reported nothing, but I'm not surprised this was the type of headline that finally drove the spike. I guess I was feeling that unease right from the start.


I thought the topic was designed to create less complaining and more conversation... Seems like a good idea to me.


Oh, I was thinking about when it was originally brought up.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
Laladien wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:
I've reported nothing, but I'm not surprised this was the type of headline that finally drove the spike. I guess I was feeling that unease right from the start.


I thought the topic was designed to create less complaining and more conversation... Seems like a good idea to me.


Oh, I was thinking about when it was originally brought up.


Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, I'll agree with that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Site rules are NO posts about Religion, Sex, or Politics outside of the designated RSP forum. That is not negotiable. Simply tagging something as "RSP" is not sufficient - we do not want those topics in the general forum areas.

The RSP threads that have been taking place in The Village Square have largely been able to exist because no one else really took notice of them. Forum moderators can't read every single thread that gets posted on the site, so if no one reports a thread then moderators likely won't happen upon it by chance and it gets left.

For whatever reason, that wasn't true of the Kim Davis thread. It was reported by multiple users as a violation and also flagged as Wrong Forum, which prompted it being moved.

Now that that seal has been broken I have gotten questions and complaints about some (not all, but some) of the other Village Square RSP threads.

So the direction things are going, we are looking at the end of the RSP topic threads in this forum. The main question at this point is whether it would be preferred that I move the existing threads to RSP so that the discussion can continue there, or lock them but leave them here.
If those are the options, I'd prefer locking.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Site rules are NO posts about Religion, Sex, or Politics outside of the designated RSP forum. That is not negotiable. Simply tagging something as "RSP" is not sufficient - we do not want those topics in the general forum areas.

The RSP threads that have been taking place in The Village Square have largely been able to exist because no one else really took notice of them. Forum moderators can't read every single thread that gets posted on the site, so if no one reports a thread then moderators likely won't happen upon it by chance and it gets left.

For whatever reason, that wasn't true of the Kim Davis thread. It was reported by multiple users as a violation and also flagged as Wrong Forum, which prompted it being moved.

Now that that seal has been broken I have gotten questions and complaints about some (not all, but some) of the other Village Square RSP threads.

So the direction things are going, we are looking at the end of the RSP topic threads in this forum. The main question at this point is whether it would be preferred that I move the existing threads to RSP so that the discussion can continue there, or lock them but leave them here.


Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least you're being consistent, I suppose. It's your site so I can't fault you for that.

I'd suggest asking the people participating in those threads...my guess would be that nobody wants anything locked. Either way, I imagine discussion will die. I think people like talking RSP here because we're quite a bit more civil than the wholly unmoderated RSP part of the site. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to respond.
I don't want my posts being dissected/mocked exposed to the rsp crowd, and will delete several of them if that happens. remember that the S thread has rules about spoilers not being quoted that are informal only. Lots of people wouldn't want their discussion there quoted. Imo
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understood the official rules RSP topics can only be discussed in RSP, if that is wrong can someone point to the terms and conditions that say otherwise.

The fact that RSP topics are not always picked up on (and thus un moderated) does not mean the admins think it is OK, and more than a burglar not being arrested means the police agree with the burglary.

Also it may well depends on tone (and subject), and the Kim Davis debate will inflame passions. It may be the admins decided that their "turn a blind eye as long as you do not play up" (unofficial) rule was not going to work over such a contentious issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't part of the KD thread (I decided to stay away after lashing out after being triggered in another thread, and apologies if my reaction indirectly caused the KD thread to be reported), but the discussion in the KD thread seemed pretty neutral. Mostly nightfall jokes.

- I am sad it got reported by multiple users.
- I am sad it got moved away from the VS.
- I am sad that in 2015 the KD topic is such a controversial topic in the first place.
- I am sad that it may have an effect on our other RSP threads, and the VS in general.

I am sad. soblue

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If RSP has issues, change RSP.

I agree it wouild be nice to have somewhere where you can discus subjects without being belittled or insulted, so about the blanket attitude here towards RSP, or other snide comments?

Also now it has moved more people are posting, it has not got rude or nasty, and you are seeing a wider range of opinions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
The fact that RSP topics are not always picked up on (and thus un moderated) does not mean the admins think it is OK, and more than a burglar not being arrested means the police agree with the burglary.


Except that the Village Square subforum was created by an admin, with the understanding that RSP discussions could be had there so long as they were flagged [RSP] in the thread title.
11 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
Avatar
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
If RSP has issues, change RSP.

I agree it wouild be nice to have somewhere where you can discus subjects without being belittled or insulted, so about the blanket attitude here towards RSP, or other snide comments?

Also now it has moved more people are posting, it has not got rude or nasty, and you are seeing a wider range of opinions.


Because we are a close community here. I could tell you where someone lives and at least a couple of things about almost everyone that posts in the Village Square. Members often hang out outside of BGG whenever we get the chance. I consider many people true friends.

It's not about looking for a variety of opinions. There were already threads about Kim Davis in the RSP forum I had read, though I didn't say anything. It's about the comfort of sitting down in a living room and discussing the topic with family/friends versus attending a city-wide public forum where all sorts of strangers get up to say their peace.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
Avatar
mbmbmb
+1 please lock the other RSP threads over moving them to RSP.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
Avatar
mbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
The fact that RSP topics are not always picked up on (and thus un moderated) does not mean the admins think it is OK, and more than a burglar not being arrested means the police agree with the burglary.


Except that the Village Square subforum was created by an admin, with the understanding that RSP discussions could be had there so long as they were flagged [RSP] in the thread title.


Do we have this in writing somewhere?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnad2006 wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
The fact that RSP topics are not always picked up on (and thus un moderated) does not mean the admins think it is OK, and more than a burglar not being arrested means the police agree with the burglary.


Except that the Village Square subforum was created by an admin, with the understanding that RSP discussions could be had there so long as they were flagged [RSP] in the thread title.


Do we have this in writing somewhere?


https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/772817/

Urza47 wrote:
The whole point is that RSP topics are marked, and you don't have to read them. It's strictly better than RSP getting into the chit-chat thread, which is what we have currently.


jmilum wrote:
What he said. There are RSP topics coming up in the big thread. Some users don't care for those discussions and they are getting flagged. That is not a good thing. If those discussions had their own thread, clearly marked, then people that did not want to read them, would not have to and then would not flag them. Win-Win.


Urza47 wrote:
This wasn't said explicitly, but I'm assuming RSP threads are permissible in a chit-chat subforum?


jmilum wrote:
If no one makes a big deal about it, then it shouldn't be an issue. That is sort of the policy in the Greek Guild and the Wargames subforum.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.