Subject: New to the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Blackburn
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello

Im looking to get into this game

Since theres a new core set coming in a few days, I imagine its best waiting for it ?
also, I read I should buy 2 core sets ?? why is that ?

Ill start with the base game and expand, but Im really curious about that first

Also, any suggestion for canada retailers ?

Thanks xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ritter
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two core sets gives you double the dice and doubles of all the measuring sticks, which is really needed, especially if your opponent isn't buying anything. Also, it's probably the best deal as far as price per ship, to get more ships to the table cheaply.

If I was starting out right now, I think I would buy one of the new core set, and one of the original core set. Gives you best value, a bunch of different ship options, and still get the double dice and sticks. *The ships in the new core set are completely different than the original, as far as dials and points, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Blackburn
Canada
flag msg tools
Exactly the kind of input I was looking for
Thanks a lot

Also the stuff from the original base set will still be good ? Like its still working with the new rules and stuff ? id hate to buy something and its already outdated hehe

I guess thats what ill do then
One of each sounds good
2x force awaken sounded stupid to me somehow lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
alexlabrute wrote:
Also the stuff from the original base set will still be good ? Like its still working with the new rules and stuff ? id hate to buy something and its already outdated hehe

Well... some people felt the orginal X-Wing was already outdated before the new Core Set arrived... but its fun to fly Luke Skywalker and that's where you get him so its still worthwhile (not to mention Biggs Darklighter has a great special ability). On top of that basic TIE fighters will always have a place as will a couple of good upgrade cards from the original Core Set (R2D2, Determination). Its hard to argue that you won't have better ships if you go with two force awakens sets... but I think variety is the way to go, especially when you're first starting out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fichtner
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with the other posters - if you're looking to get 2 cores, get 1 of each. Ship variety, asteroid variety, extra bits and dice. I am so loving the new TIE/FO, but I also love the original TIE and X-Wing.

Don't worry about experts arguing about the viability of the standard X-Wing. That's really only for high level tournament play, and if you're just starting out, you'll really appreciate the solid, workhorse qualities of those first 2 ships in the original core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I'd also recommend an old and new core set. After that maybe look at either the aces sets, or possibly the scum Most Wanted pack as these are also great value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.