United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to skip Mage Knight if you don't care for referencing the rules a lot the first number of plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You might have some issues with Race for the Galaxy at first as you'll likely have to look up what some of the icons mean. However, once you get used to the iconography you should be okay as the rules themselves are pretty straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Race and Dominion should be fine. Race does have the iconography thing going on but the rules are clear and Dominion is even easier than that. Just read the small amount of text on the limited number of cards and do what it says. Should not be an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Moyer
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying. -Woody Allen
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a game recommendation, but one about your approach. Since the overwhelming rules are the most obvious problem I suggest you find someone who is willing to teach you the game you next want to try. Having an experienced player of a particular game walk you through it can make all the difference in your opinion of a (rule- or detail-heavy) game. This is why I love conventions or meet-up groups where folks bring and teach their favorite games; I get out of interpreting and trying to remember rules and get to jump into actual play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Just some random thoughts on your post:

-It's been a while since I've played WotR, but iirc, there's a limit of how many cards you can have in your hand, and 15 is over that limit. Even if I'm wrong about that, I can't imagine that you had that many cards in your hand and didn't have any useful ones to play before that point.

-You say that you "got" the game, but you also said that you were frequently looking up the rules. Not sure how those aren't mutually exclusive.

-Being strategic and thematic are most definitely NOT mutually exclusive. Even 11 years later, I'm willing to bet a majority of people would say that WotR is very thematic.

-Not that you'd want to get to this point, but after you know the game well, it plays in 2-3 hours (not including setup)

-I can see why it would seem like there isn't after one play, but there is most definitely a lot of replay value in this game.

-If you can't take the rules for WotR, you most definitely do not want to try Mage Knight the boardgame!
You MIGHT like Robinson Crusoe, though if you don't think WotR is thematic, I really don't think you'd find Robinson Crusoe fun. So, to be on the safe side, I'd say try something else instead.

For suggestions, look more toward co-op games (besides Robinson Crusoe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Eldritch you might like:

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
Lord of the Rings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
From your post I'd second NOT getting Mage Knight, it is a great game but a rules beast.

If I understand you correctly your looking for 2player games that are thematic, easy/ medium weight rules, and strategic in nature?

Have you looked at Pathfinder Adventure Card Game? I've never played it but I think it might fit your criteria. I personally play a lot of strategic wargames/ euros, so if you want to branch out into those genres I can give you some better recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse West
United States
Rancho Santa Margarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Mice and Mystics. It's thematic, easy to learn, co-op, doesn't play long due to the chapter breaks, has miniatures but not too many, etc etc.

Here it is featured on Tabletop on YouTube. Give it a watch and see if it fits the bill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YquWfQ7eSU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wife and I were in the same boat - we wanted to like War of the Ring, love the books, but the game just felt like one side plodding towards Mordor with few decisions to make and the other player playing one-sided Risk. We don't get the love for this one. We also didn't like Mage Knight, but understood how it would appeal to others. We like theme, but find that most of the official "thematic" games are not the types of games we enjoy. But here would be my top recommendations from BGG's top 100 thematic games.

I want to try Robinson Crusoe, haven't had a chance yet, but we have been very happy with the "classic" co-ops like Pandemic and Flash Point Fire Rescue, which work well 2 player. I haven't tried it but Defenders of the Realm would be a good match for these with a fantasy theme.

We also really like Last Night on Earth as a good thematic 1 team vs 1 team game - some minis, but not too many.

Letters from Whitechapel is our top pick for a Scotland Yard-type chase game (Fury of Dracula was pretty good but like your experience with WotR, we just had to check the rules too much).

And lastly, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is perfect for when you just want to relax on the sofa but still play a game (and very cat-friendly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I also play WotR and like you, had a rough first go. It is heavy: no two ways about it. All I can say is that learning it takes time and is an investment. By our third game, we were humming along and REALLY got into the theme and just how intelligent the design is. The replay value comes from trying different strategies and experiencing the randomness of the cards you draw. But it sounds like you've made up your mind....understood. We've had similar one-and-done experiences with other games.

If you enjoy the theme of Eldritch, you may consider Mansions of Madness which is the best Lovecraftian dungeon crawler which will seem familiar immediately to you as it is also a FF game. The problem you may have is that it isn't co-op. It also can be a touch fiddly. Do your research before jumping into that one. But we absolutely love it.

Mice & Mystics is a co-op dungeon crawler which is very story driven and but is very light.

I will warn you about Robinson Crusoe. It is co-op and is very challenging, and those are great things for us. HOWEVER, in my opinion, the rule book sucks. It is not clear and I've had to refer to BGG extensively for clarifications...

You might also consider Dead of Winter. We will occasionally play the co-op 2p variant in which we both take 3 survivors and play the difficult version of a given scenario. It has that Eldritch feel of perpetually being one or two steps behind the objectives which builds incredible tension.

If you are still wanting to try a 2p head-to-head war game that is card driven but not as heavy as WotR and devoid of minis, consider A Few Acres of Snow by Treefrog Games. Turns go fast, and games are around 2 hours. My wife and I find it to be brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
www.cascadecon.games
badge
Cascade Games Convention: Bellingham, Washington's premier tabletop board game playing event
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse is excellent with 2 players. It may feel a bit lopsided at first if you've never played because a lot of balancing occurs with more players—but with experience, you'll find that it's a fun game to play in an hour (setup takes some time, though). It really is 30 minutes/person when you know how to play (for your first game, though, it will be 60 minutes/person).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:

Letters from Whitechapel is our top pick for a Scotland Yard-type chase game.

And lastly, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is perfect for when you just want to relax on the sofa but still play a game (and very cat-friendly).

Couldn't agree more with these two recommendations. We've had Absolutely awesome experiences with both of these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Just know that Mage Knight is not a fantasy adventure game, it is a puzzle game with a fantasy theme.

pevsfreedom wrote:
Lowecore wrote:
From your post I'd second NOT getting Mage Knight, it is a great game but a rules beast.

If I understand you correctly your looking for 2player games that are thematic, easy/ medium weight rules, and strategic in nature?

Have you looked at Pathfinder Adventure Card Game? I've never played it but I think it might fit your criteria. I personally play a lot of strategic wargames/ euros, so if you want to branch out into those genres I can give you some better recommendations.

I might get Mage Knight and try it out myself for when I'm home and she's at work... the theme just really intrigues me, and I don't mind sitting and thinking over a turn, and reading the book to clarify, but it totally sucks waiting for someone else or her waiting for me to find the nuance in the rulebook that we're looking for.

Ive heard Pathfinder mentioned a few times. Not sure if I'm into war/euro games yet.

Detail Brush wrote:
Check out Mice and Mystics. It's thematic, easy to learn, co-op, doesn't play long due to the chapter breaks, has miniatures but not too many, etc etc.

Here it is featured on Tabletop on YouTube. Give it a watch and see if it fits the bill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YquWfQ7eSU

Does Mice & Mystics have pretty good replay value? It looks right up our alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle will probably hit where WOTR just missed. Like WOTR, TS is a 2-player competitive game, it takes a few hours to complete but the rules are substantially shorter and less complex. The components are much more manageable and the turns and downtime are much shorter. You also have fewer options each turn. The "based on true story" cards and overarching narrative add to the coolness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pevsfreedom wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:
Twilight Struggle will probably hit where WOTR just missed. Like WOTR, TS is a 2-player competitive game, it takes a few hours to complete but the rules are substantially shorter and less complex. The components are much more manageable and the turns and downtime are much shorter. You also have fewer options each turn. The "based on true story" cards and overarching narrative add to the coolness.

I saw that is the #1 rated on the site. From looking at it it seemed more complex than WotR but I could be wrong. Looks pretty interesting.

It's definitely less complex than WotR. May be a good option, but still a bit grueling at times, puzzling over the best move.

Another one along the same lines, but even a bit less complexity, is 1775: Rebellion. Both this and Twilight Struggle get their theme from historically-based cards. It's a cool concept that bridges war gaming and Euro gaming.

One other recommendation I always make to gaming couples: Battle Line. It doesn't have much theme, but it's not pretending to be thematic. It is a wonderful, tense, fast-playing game. Theme or not, it only lasts 30 minutes, and the decisions you make are so difficult and tense.

Oh, and I think you should not hesitate in opening LotR: The Confrontation. The card play there is only when you go to battle. And the decks aren't very big. It's a great tactical game.

+1 Letters from Whitechapel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
+1 for Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases. Just a wonderful experience, imo.

Also +1 for Lord of the Rings. It's a fun cooperative game, will only take you 90 minutes AT MOST, and likely just on your first play, and if you bought War of the Ring, you obviously don't mind the Tolkien theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mustafa
Indonesia
Tangerang Selatan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend A Game Of Thrones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hamachek
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Talisman (Revised 4th Edition), Prophecy might be a good one to look into. It just had a reprint not to long ago so it shouldnt be to tough to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If it is story you like, then one of the best story driven games I have played was Dawn Of The Zeds Second Edition. But the rules were complicated, and with lots of exceptions. So this probably would have been a deal breaker for you. Luckily, VPG are now releasing a more mainstream third edition, which is supposed to have simpler rules.

Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition)

I can also highly recommend DungeonQuest Revised Edition. Not much strategy. Not many miniatures. Light hearted. But great for watching a story unfold.

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game also fits this criteria well, and is one of my favourite games.

Letters from Whitechapel is also another good recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Anyone have experience with Ghost Stories? I heard it's hard, which is fine, but it is hard to play/understand? Or just relentless? I love Dark Souls (video game) so stuff kicking me while I'm down doesn't bother me much.

Ghost stories is easy to learn and streamlined. The game is a difficult and random puzzle. I liked it though. But I like making tactical decisions (make the best from the situation), not planning (strategic decisions).

I like War of the Ring a lot, but I learned to play with Ricky Royals excellent video tutorial. Made sure my first complete game was won in 3-4 hours (Free people, military victory?

If you like the mechanisms of cardplay and action dice, I recommend Battle OF Five Armies. Same guys, but less complicated game, easier setup, still Tolkien.
Another Tolkien recommendation is a but of an odd one. Middle Earth Quest. It's a Tolkien adventure, one player plays a Hero, the other Sauron. The Heroes are not from the books, but a lot of the fluff ties into the time between Bilbo and Frodo leaving the shire. This game is way closer to Eldritch. But in my mind doesnt play all that well with 2 (you need to play 2 heroes), and the game needed an expansion it likely will never get.

Personally, I felt TWilight struggle was boring. Ugly, uninspired theme. The game works, but I am not interested in modern history it turns out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pevsfreedom wrote:

Anyone have experience with Ghost Stories? I heard it's hard, which is fine, but it is hard to play/understand? Or just relentless? I love Dark Souls (video game) so stuff kicking me while I'm down doesn't bother me much.

Ghost Stories is a great game. But it won't give you that grand, sweeping feeling of being inside an evolving story. Essentially it is a puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
www.cascadecon.games
badge
Cascade Games Convention: Bellingham, Washington's premier tabletop board game playing event
mbmbmbmbmb
pevsfreedom wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

I saw that is the #1 rated on the site. From looking at it it seemed more complex than WotR but I could be wrong. Looks pretty interesting.

Twilight Struggle's rules, as with many GMT rulebooks, may seem complex or dense at first if you are not used to reading well-organized cross-referenced rulesets. However, the game's mechanics are actually relatively straightforward. This is another game that will take you twice as long to play when you first learn it but which will become routine over time.

It is roughly a 2–3 hour game, but the first time you play it, you will be doing rule-checking and it will take you 6 hours. But then the next game will only be 4 hours. And so forth.

It is absolutely worth the investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "defenders of the realm" might be a hit with you!! Co-op fantasy really fun characters, and streamlined rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, Middle-Earth Quest. Id say its about the same complexity as Eldritch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.