M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

is there an easy way on how to distinguish between infantry and armored units during game play & without looking at the overview chart?!

In general armored units do have the armored conduit, but there is also one tank with green background color on the overview chart (2nd from the left) who is having this, but counts as an infantry unit....

So my question: What is the best way on how to distinguish between amored and infantry units during gameplay.

Regards
Mario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Fortunato
Portugal
Torres Vedras
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The figures on the counters are different. Generally there are tanks for armor and armoured personnel carriers for infantry but there are exceptions: airborne infantry has a NATO symbol and some of the NATO formations have light tanks.

I don't think this difference is relevant for playing because the activation does not refer to the type of unit.

Besides you have to think of the counters as representative of formations that include all types of units and the fact that they are mostly comprised of armor or mechanized infantry is represented by their differences in strength values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A tank will have a turret and a gun barrel that extends beyond the edge of the chassis. The US and German personnel carriers have turrets and guns, but the gun doesn't extend over the chassis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you for your reply. I will check it out later, when I´m @ home again.

Enolough wrote:

I don't think this difference is relevant for playing because the activation does not refer to the type of unit.

In general it`s important for gameplay based on the weapon superiority in closed or open terrain. Infantry units have in advantage in closed terrain, whereas amored units have an advantage in open terrain.

kentreuber wrote:
A tank will have a turret and a gun barrel that extends beyond the edge of the chassis. The US and German personnel carriers have turrets and guns, but the gun doesn't extend over the chassis.

Is it really the case?! I do not have the rule book in my hands at the momenat, but in the 3rd line....the third vehicle from the right side should be infantry....so the turret is longer than usual.

This picture is taken from a screenshot on BGG of the previous version of the game. Neveretheless the units of both games should be comparable...

Regards
Mario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The vehicle depicted on the engineer battalion is an M60A2. The gun is actually on the right side (it's a short 152mm gun with the additional ability to fire a Shillelagh ATGM). The item extending to the left is a crane used for towing damaged vehicles. I assume this unit is classified as an infantry so that it doesn't suffer a penalty when attacking an infantry unit in closed terrain.

Here's a clearer picture showing the M60A2 and the M60 bridging unit.

GHQ does amazing detail on their vehicles. Both of these models are about 1" long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Fortunato
Portugal
Torres Vedras
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Braz wrote:
In general it`s important for gameplay based on the weapon superiority in closed or open terrain. Infantry units have in advantage in closed terrain, whereas amored units have an advantage in open terrain.

You're right. I forgot that rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
The vehicle depicted on the engineer battalion is an M60A2. The gun is actually on the right side (it's a short 152mm gun with the additional ability to fire a Shillelagh ATGM). The item extending to the left is a crane used for towing damaged vehicles. I assume this unit is classified as an infantry so that it doesn't suffer a penalty when attacking an infantry unit in closed terrain.

GHQ does amazing detail on their vehicles. Both of these models are about 1" long.

wow great!
Many thanks. Now it`s clearer.
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Delnore
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

Actually, both the Corps Command-series counter and the GHQ miniature depict the M728 Combat Engineer Vehicle (CEV), which mounts a 165mm short-barreled demolition gun, bulldozer blade, and crane boom. As its designation suggests, the CEV was a mainstay of U.S. Army combat engineer units until about 2000.

The M60A2 "Starship" was a failed main battle tank that was removed from service in the 1980s because the 152mm gun-launcher didn't work well in either role. It had been deployed in pure battalions in armored and mechanized infantry divisions.

Confusing the two is understandable, I guess, but we can be certain that the we are looking at a CEV on both the counter and in the miniature phote. Granted, the guns look about the same at this scale and both vehicles are built on the M60 chassis. On the other hand, the Starship didn't have a crane boom or bulldozer, whereas the CEV always did. Also, the Starship's turret is very different, although you don't see this easily in profile. And the Starship was out of service at the time of the game.

Further, the Starship had no connection with engineering units, so it would have been an exceedingly strange choice as counter art. The CEV, on the other hand, is an emblematic vehicle for such units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.