Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably my 3rd play of this game, and I've played lots of others in the Napoleonic 20 series, as had my opponent, so we were well familiar with the rules. I took the Russians in this game.

Day 1 - The French arrive in dribs and drabs, but even so manage to panic my infantry out of the Shevardino redoubt. The French send 2 cavalry on a raid against the Southern flank where a lone militia unit gets progressively pushed further and further east.

Day 2 - I get plenty of failures to activate any units. They all stand in place obeying Kutuzov's belief that the main attack will fall upon the Northern wing, when instead it is growing in strength against the centre. The French meanwhile take the Fleches. Russian morale drops to 1 at this point.

Day 3 - The French take the Great redoubt (with cavalry from behind!), but then the Imperial Guard is kept in place by Napoleon who refuses to allow it to launch a decisive attack. Meanwhile, some Russian calvary and cossacks have stopped and reversed the French raid in the South. A brave French attack in the centre towards Gorky results in 2 French units being left exposed. One is routed and one is eliminated. French morale has collapsed and the Russians get an unlikely win!

Very enjoyable game - here's my thoughts on it:

Good things:

1. Quite a historical result - I have noticed this in other games in the Napoleonic 20 series.
2. Plays in 2 hours - which is great when you are short on time and don't have the ability to leave games set up.
3. Cards added a lot of atmosphere: My units failing to activate, units being panicked, the Guard refusing to move, "Mother Russia" where I got 1 morale per attack - encouraging a mass assualt (with mixed results).

Less good:

The low number of units means that a single event/roll can have a dramatic result. Not too bad if this is combat, but pretty nasty if card driven.

Overall: I will definitley play this again. This makes it a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the situation at the game's end:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
The low number of units means that a single event/roll can have a dramatic result. Not too bad if this is combat, but pretty nasty if card driven.

This is intentional. We want a fairly high level of chaos and uncertainty in these battle, with the player only having a general sense of "being in control." You can shape your destiny, but ultimately (as was the case in most of these battles) it is fate and fortune which governs the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"War is the province of uncertainty: three-fourths of those things upon which action in war must be calculated, are hidden more or less in the clouds of great uncertainty."

-- C. VON CLAUSEWITZ, On War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
kerpob2 wrote:

This is intentional. We want a fairly high level of chaos and uncertainty in these battle, with the player only having a general sense of "being in control." You can shape your destiny, but ultimately (as was the case in most of these battles) it is fate and fortune which governs the outcome.

What a great response! That really makes me appreciate the design and play of the game even more.

I have always been in favour of games that allow the extreme result, even if the chance is small. Otherwise we'd all might as well be playing chess instead of wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.