Hammer of the Scots» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Long Live Edward II!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
flag msg tools
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
I’ve always wanted to play a full game and I got my wish. The results could not have been more exciting. I played England.

Part I: The Scottish Revolt
1297: Edward I suppresses the southern revolt while Wallace’s army fell while attempting to seize Stirling. Wallace retreated north. Ross Joined the Scottish.
1298: The English failed to pursue Wallace successfully but had driven north as far as Strathspey. By year’s end Comyn joined Wallace.
1299: Wallace’s counterattack crushes English northern garrisons and gains Buchan, Mar and Angus.

Part II: Stalemate
1300: The Scottish army grows. Argyll joins Wallace. Edward’s attempt to gain the north is thrown back at Dundee.
1302: Wallace’s attempt to gain Atholl fails, but Argyll is reinforced by Norse forces and withstands and English attack. Mar and Buchan invoke an old feud and fight a brief personal war.
1303: Edward I launches his grand offensive. Fife, Angus and Buchan are gained and a large English army of knights is wintered in Fife. Fortunately Wallace has raised an army larger than his celebrated 1297 force.

Part III: Return of the King
1304: Edward drives into Lochaber. Despite Success he cannot win a decisive victory or bring Argyll to his side while Wallace captures Buchan and defeats a small English army.
1305: Wallace launches a series of fierce attacks, driving back English garrisons at Lochaber, Angus, Fife and Mentieth. King John returns with a group of French knights. Although the recent victories have drained the Scottish, victory seems certain with Edward’s failing health. Mar defects to England.
1306: Both sides mass forces for the showdown in central Scotland.

Part IV: Edward II’s Victory
1307: A massive English army destroys Wallace’s army at Stirling and then marches north to Buchan, converting Mentieth, Angus and Buchan and most importantly, killing Wallace and the French knights. The Scottish army masses in Moray and Strathspey. Coymn joins the English, mortally wounding the Scottish cause.
1308: The English drive to Inverness and destroy the last of the Scottish army. Moray perishes. Only the king, Argyll, the Norse and Coymn, forced to join because of John’s subterfuge, remain.
1309: John’s attempt to gain breathing room by seizing Atholl fails when Argyll joins and a group of loyal nobles under Bruce reinforce Atholl. All nobles pledge loyalty to Edward II, ending the rebellion begun by Wallace and Moray.

Conclusion: One of the most back and forth games I have ever played. Both sides made enough mistakes to keep it interesting while several bold moves played off handsomely. Wallace’s inability to take Atholl seems in retrospect to be the thorn that doomed the Scottish.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.