1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Inspiring Leadership rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ThaneBot 3000
msg tools
mb
I'm playing the Imperial in a campaign with Twin Shadows and am trying out the new Imperial Class. Looking through the deck, I see two viable strategies for builds. I usually assume there will be 10-12XP acquired over the course of the campaign.

Free Action Build:
Supervisory Agent (1XP) - Press On (1 XP) - Field General (3 XP) - Lead By Example (4 XP) - Strategic Planning (2 XP)

The benefits here should be obvious. With Field Officer/General, I can essentially assign two groups to get a free action each round. Additionally, I can group up officers with more powerful units to get more free actions each round. Assuming I can field one elite Officer and one Regular officer, I can have four free actions each round.

With Optimal Tactics, I can choose to reactivate one of these super action groups to further get the beat down on the Rebs. If used right, a pair of Royal Guards can get 6 attacks in a single round.

Squad Leadership Build:
Supervisory Agent (1XP) - Press On (1XP) - Optimal Tactics (4XP) - Noble Sacrifice (2XP) - Strategic Planning (2XP)

This build requires leaders galore and focuses on increasing the potency of attacks by squads with a leader attached. It also gives a stark disadvantage to targeting these leaders with Noble Sacrifice.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone have a better build with this class?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Field Officer/General transfers actions from one figure to another, so they are not quite free, and the figures need to be close enough. If you attach these to a group with multiple figures, they can still only be used once per round, because they exhaust.

Lead by Example is the one giving free attacks and definitely go together with Field General.

Press On is probably good early on, but I don't think it will help much in later missions.

I think which ones to select depends a lot on your (and the rebel) play style.

I'll see what I come up with when I get to play with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ThaneBot 3000
msg tools
mb
Yeah, I understand that Lead By Example is the ability that actually gives free actions in conjunction with Field Officer/General. I was referring to the overall build benefits.

I agree with your assessment of Press On and think the same, to a lesser extent, of Supervisory Agent. But I believe that they both are necessary to have an impact on early mission success. Field Officer is not enough of a game changer to really have an edge over the Rebs. Perhaps it would be best to rush Strategic Planning and then go for the core build?

I think the question is whether more potent attacks are more valuable mid to late game than the flexibility of free actions. And I'm leaning towards no. But I think the more potent attacks may be more fun for the Rebels to play against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Madsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I think the strain build (cant remember the name of it) is the best one on the empirer side

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NetDuke wrote:
I think the strain build (cant remember the name of it) is the best one on the empirer side

Subversive Tactics.

It's pretty annoying, yes. But you will learn to play with the other ones as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Tobias Hatting
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Subversive Tactics is very powerfull, but it's controlling, strain draining nature simply makes me think it will derive the rebel players of fun :/
Fighting enemies that hit harder,faster or with more health? Fun!
Not being able to use the skills I have bought with my hard earned XP or being force to take en entirely different build because I never have any strain, not fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope Twin Shadows hit stores here in Sweden soon since I will hopefully start a new campaign within like 2-3 weeks.
Was thinking of trying Inspiring Leadership.

Where do you feel it falls in terms of power compared to the other decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-o Jankowski
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bumping this thread

Wondering how people are doing with Inspiring Leadership; I haven't played it yet but was thinking of trying it this upcoming week in our next campaign. What combo's have worked well? Favorite cards? Builds? Etc. What hasn't worked well?

This deck seems very strategic, so I can see a lot of thought going into it and as a result am having trouble visualizing how this deck plays out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the PREdiger
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm using "Inspiring Leadership" in my TS Mini campaign and took the "deploy officer for free from hand" and "focus all figures who see a leader go down" card from it.

My problem was to get most value out of the focusing class card, since the rebels moved in and killed it in melee, blocking most of my troops from seeing the figure go down.

So far I'm underwhelmed with the performance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course the other side changes their strategy according to what you buy. And you change your strategy depending what the other side has.

Now your Imperial Officer is a great bait to lure heroes to block LoS and kill it instead of the actual threats. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before starting my TS campaign with a friend that I went through the Core campaign with I had very low expectations with IL.

But damn, it's fun. Tapping a deployment card with one Stormtrooper left to get up a full other group is just awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
msg tools
Strategic Planning is a very underrated card.

We are playing against it and, as Rebels, it's frustrating to plan around, since it disrupts even the best laid plans.

Also, it makes the Imperials' best unit (until RtH, after RG nerf) the E-Web engineer, infinitely more dangerous to assault because if the IP saves a 6+ Threat unit, they can activate the E-web and attack twice.

We eventually just had Jyn kamikaze the e-web and threaten to QuickDraw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnad83 wrote:

We are playing against it and, as Rebels, it's frustrating to plan around, since it disrupts even the best laid plans.

Also, it makes the Imperials' best unit (until RtH, after RG nerf) the E-Web engineer, infinitely more dangerous to assault because if the IP saves a 6+ Threat unit, they can activate the E-web and attack twice.

Yeah, I think that the card adds a very fun element, it presents more choices for both the Imperial Player and the Rebels. Rebels try and play around it by killing groups in total, the IP can hide a Stormtrooper that needs to be taken care of but it costs extra actions for the Rebels.

I don't know yet what I'm gonna choose for the first Hoth campaign (already played Subversive Tactics and now Inspiring Leadarship).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
msg tools
MuRRe wrote:
jnad83 wrote:

Yeah, I think that the card adds a very fun element, it presents more choices for both the Imperial Player and the Rebels. Rebels try and play around it by killing groups in total, the IP can hide a Stormtrooper that needs to be taken care of but it costs extra actions for the Rebels.

I don't know yet what I'm gonna choose for the first Hoth campaign (already played Subversive Tactics and now Inspiring Leadarship).

That is an additional benefit.

If the rebels kill 2/3 Stormtroopers, it makes that card not a wasted action, since you can expire it and activate a group with full characters, such as an E-web or a Nexu.

For the amount of XP its a very underrated card since it effictively gives the IP player action economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other fun uses for Strategic Planning:
- if Jyn Odan is lined up to kill one of your figures with her Quick Draw when that figure activates, instead exhaust that figure's deployment card and Strategic Planning to let you activate a different group instead
- if you're down to one Royal Guard (8) and it's Stunned with no one in reach to attack, it may be better to get an activation of a fresh Stormtrooper squad (6) than to clear stun and move.
- particularly if you're missing one or two elite Stormtroopers (9), it would be great to trade that activation for a second activation of two Royal Guards for even more Stuns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-o Jankowski
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sooo tried this deck in the mini-campaign and did not have success. I def went down the wrong path, on paper my theory was sound and I wanted to try the "other" path of this deck. My recommendation is don't, very very very underpowered.

I went with Optimal Tactics, Supervisory Agents, Noble Sacrifice, and Strategic Planning....

Reasons I thought this would work: Optimal Tactics +1 damage and re-roll I really enjoy. And I thought using officers to enhance the group would be pretty straight forward. Supervisory Agents plays into this b/c you can bring an officer back out when you need it. Noble Sacrifice is a deterrent to kill the officer, and if played properly they have cower, and strategic planning b/c its great.

Reasons it didn't work: Officers just go down waayyyy too quickly, Noble Sacrifice is difficult to place to optimize its use, especially when you are usually looking to have officers in positions that help you when they are alive, not planning on them dying. Rebels can easily target and dispatch them....With a lack of survivability cards in this deck, my troops were getting sliced, lazer blasted, and crushed very easily. I couldn't keep deployments on the map, and couldn't get much use of them.

So, obviously the action economy route is the way to go. I have to admit I found this deck so far to be very underwhelming compared to the others. However, sounds like people here really enjoy it. Soooo, in a full campaign, whats your build strategies for Inspiring Leadership? Order you take what? And why?? Help is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask me in a few months how I'm doing with PBF024 (extended Twin Shadows campaign).

I'm starting with Field Officer (0XP) and Field General (3XP), then probably save up for Lead By Example (4XP) and then Strategic Planning (2XP). But I will reconsider the plan during each upgrade stage.

An Imperial Officer getting to Executive Order a Heavy Stormtrooper (or maybe Boba Fett) to attack, then try to stun a hero himself by attacking will be glorious if it works. Also a Heavy Stormtrooper pair with Field General can attack 4 times instead of 2. (When you have Lead by Example too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jomayo112 wrote:
Sooo tried this deck in the mini-campaign and did not have success. I def went down the wrong path, on paper my theory was sound and I wanted to try the "other" path of this deck. My recommendation is don't, very very very underpowered.

I went with Optimal Tactics, Supervisory Agents, Noble Sacrifice, and Strategic Planning....

+1 damage and a free reroll IS very strong, but you're right that you have to play carefully with your leaders. They only have to be within 3 squares of the shooting, so you can hide them around corners and/or use Stormtroopers to block shots at them. The rebels are certainly right to go after them (and Noble Sacrifice seems like a good way to punish them for that if you set things up perfectly).

That said, the Optimal Tactics build may be better in a campaign where you have a chance to earn General Sorin or Kayn Somos to give you a sturdier Leader to rally your troops around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
msg tools
CitizenFry wrote:
Other fun uses for Strategic Planning:
- if Jyn Odan is lined up to kill one of your figures with her Quick Draw when that figure activates, instead exhaust that figure's deployment card and Strategic Planning to let you activate a different group instead
- if you're down to one Royal Guard (8) and it's Stunned with no one in reach to attack, it may be better to get an activation of a fresh Stormtrooper squad (6) than to clear stun and move.
- particularly if you're missing one or two elite Stormtroopers (9), it would be great to trade that activation for a second activation of two Royal Guards for even more Stuns

-Also, using Strategic Planning on E-webs for the 1 free movement point

Either 1 space closer for attack range, or, better, rotate the e-web sideways to gain LOS to a rebel that previously thought they were not within LOS. Then attack twice devil

Keep in mind Strategic Planning gives 1 MP to BOTH deployment cards (the de-activated and the activated one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jomayo112 wrote:

What is the "correct" path?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CitizenFry wrote:
That said, the Optimal Tactics build may be better in a campaign where you have a chance to earn General Sorin or Kayn Somos to give you a sturdier Leader to rally your troops around.

I reread the Twin Shadows campaign last night, and I'm going to reverse myself: the Optimal Tactics build should be fine for a Twin Shadows campaign.

Twin Shadows spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Kayn Somos is guaranteed to appear in the third mission and the finale of the Twin Shadows campaigns; he also appears in one of the two options for the second mission. So by the time you can afford Optimal Tactics, you're guaranteed to have a beefy Leader available to help you take advantage of it.

If you're going to do an Optimal Tactics build, you might as well buy a 1 XP card (probably Supervisory Agent) before the first mission, since you will have a total of 5 xp once that mission is over.

Also in general, Inspiring Leadership seems better in a Twin Shadows campaign than it is in the core campaign, because you get to start with 3 XP. One of the drawbacks to Inspiring Leadership is that the starting class card is very weak, at least until larger single units start showing up. As a result, your early campaign suffers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-o Jankowski
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Also a Heavy Stormtrooper pair with Field General can attack 4 times instead of 2.

3 times correct, isn't Field General an exhaust?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-o Jankowski
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CitizenFry wrote:

Yeah, I was kinda thinking this too. Def didn't play out well in the mini-campaign, too quick, not a chance to get those guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-o Jankowski
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MuRRe wrote:
jomayo112 wrote:

What is the "correct" path?

LOL, IDK, thats why I am asking what people have found success with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jomayo112 wrote:
a1bert wrote:
Also a Heavy Stormtrooper pair with Field General can attack 4 times instead of 2.

3 times correct, isn't Field General an exhaust?

I think I was implying having Lead by Example too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.