Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Sautter
France
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time, we talked about random events and how the game remembers your choices, giving you different outcomes depending on your actions. This time we’ll be looking at how this isn’t just an exploration game, but also a survival game. How exactly do you explore and what kind of troubles can you encounter on your travels?

First things first: This article contains SPOILERS from the game's “introduction” section.
If you REALLY want to see how these mechanics work in the game, then read on.
Otherwise I suggest you wait and experience it for yourself.

THE 7TH CONTINENT SHUFFLE

So just how do you move? Well the rules for moving are contained on your Character card! With it being the most common action players will undertake, it seemed correct to always have it close to hand for referral.

In short though, the effort needed to move to a certain Terrain card is indicated in the bottom left hand corner of the card. You can move to ANY revealed Terrain card available simply by performing the Move action as indicated by your Character card using the cost indicated on the Terrain card. The only prerequisite is that you have an unobstructed chain of Terrain cards.

So what type of card could come along and break up a chain of Terrain cards I hear you ask?

Cards like this one.

We call this a “bridge”. Essentially, it’s a Permanent event card that stays in play and links two Terrain tiles together. As it is not a Terrain card, it cannot be moved past in the manner described above and you must resolve the (mostly dangerous and energy intensive) action indicated in order to reach the other side and continue your journey.

These cards have two effects on the game:

1. They stop you “teleporting” from one side of the map to the other. The idea behind the Move action is that once you’ve discovered an area during a game session, your explorer instincts will help guide you back there quicker, choosing the least strenuous routes, should you want to return. We like this mechanic but we didn’t want it getting out of hand.

2. The “bridge” acts as a sort of “checkpoint” between zones. When you discover one, do you decide to forge on ahead, knowing you may need to come back if you missed something or do you play it safe and thoroughly explore the zone, therefore minimizing the odds you’ll need to undertake these dangerous actions more than once?

As always, it’s up to you how you decide to handle the challenges that appear as you attempt to push further into the savage land that is the 7th Continent.

HIT ME BABY, ONE MORE TIME.

A certain type of card that we’ve brought up in previous articles but never really developed are the State Cards. These cards represent the different effects of injury, stress or fatigue that can affect your character during their adventures.

The first State card that you receive has no effect, however, for every card you receive after that you must discard a number of cards from the Action Deck equal to the number of State cards you already have. So first 0, then 1, then 2, then 3,... etc. There will be 7 or so "generic" states available during the KS campaign with potentially more as time goes on.

You cannot receive more than one of the same State Card. However, it will still set off the discard mechanic described above.

Obviously, these States can do some serious damage to your Action Deck if left unchecked, so, how do you get rid of them? Well, it varies. Sometimes the game will give you the choice of performing an Action such as on the cards above. These can of course fail and are not without consequence, as shown on the "Injured" card. Others may not require an action, just a certain situation, like the Frozen State card which requires you to be on the same Terrain Card as a fire token. The rarest ones are those that give NO indication of how to remove them, you have to figure it out for yourself, I won’t spoil any of those for you

Oh, and whilst we’re at it, certain states will even have an effect on other in-game events!

THE MAN OF THE MOMENT

Sometimes, you won’t have the luxury of time or preparation, unless you’ve decided to equip yourself for a variety of situations. Good advice but easier said than done. Sometimes the game will present you with situations that:

1. Do not allow you to back out and must be resolved immediately. If an Owlbear charges at you, it’s not going to wait patiently whilst you wander off, fashion a club and then come back to bash it’s brains in. If you’re walking across a rickety old bridge and suddenly realize that most of the planks are rotten, you can’t just say “ah... I’ll come back later”. These “immediate” actions are situations that you have to handle right here, right now. These are represented by the spiky red border around the Action icon.

2. Are so tricky that you will not be able to use your energy reserves to increase your chances of succeeding. These “locked” actions, easily identifiable due to the red lock next to the action icon, do not allow you to modify the number of cards drawn required by the action. In this case, equipment and ideas are a must for seeing you through these hairy situations.

The “Strange Cephalopod” card is a prime example of this as it is both a “locked” and “immediate” action. You’re walking along the waterfront when this thing explodes out of the water and scrabbles towards you, intent of taking a bite out of whatever it can reach. You have no time to prepare and you have to deal with it now. Getting two successes out of one card is rare so you better hope you have some form of weaponry or a good idea card on you or you’ll be taking that “injured” State Card which is sure to do some harm to your Action Deck. If can beat it though it will make a tasty meal. Calamari anyone?

Sometimes it won’t just be a piddly little squid that is the issue when these kind of special actions arise. Sometimes your very survival may be on the line. Now these actions are rare and the game will make the danger you’re facing before it tells you to draw the card. Don’t say we didn’t warn you!

Also, before we finish, I just want to pop back to the Character card. Some of you have been asking exactly what the difference between the different explorers is, apart from their unique idea cards, well, our friend Ferdinand here can, if he discards the correct ideas or objects, actually cancel the “immediate” attribute of an action, allowing him to dodge out of harm’s way and come back better prepared. This is just one of the unique abilities that each explorer will have!

Next time we’ll be looking at the experience system, the powerful advantages it can procure you and how to survive as a team.

Source: http://www.trictrac.net/news/the-7th-continent-watch-your-st...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sneaky Ferdinand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaaaah, 20 days can be soooooo far away sometimes.
Not to mention the timespan til weget hold of the actual game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mason
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to spoil this game for myself, but I can't help it. I enjoy reading these Adventurer's Guides. Thank you Bruno for posting these. They are entertaining and informative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Sautter
France
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CiviliTalismaniac wrote:
I don't want to spoil this game for myself, but I can't help it. I enjoy reading these Adventurer's Guides. Thank you Bruno for posting these. They are entertaining and informative.

Thank you Matt. But to be honest it is Jamie, our Community Manager, who deserves to be thanked.

Regarding spoil, don't worry, we have some surprises left for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So can you die in this game? Can you fail? Or is it just the length of and difficulty of the game that is affected?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
You can die, which doesn't take you out of the game but rather back to the closest "checkpoint" (see a previous article for more on this).

It should be mentioned that the biggest cause of death in the game is fatigue, a lot more than random events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's the Groundhog Day curse.

I did read the previous articles but somehow I missed it.

Ok so this isn't a knock but this is really more an activity than a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Y
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
abodi wrote:
So it's the Groundhog Day curse.

I did read the previous articles but somehow I missed it.

Ok so this isn't a knock but this is really more an activity than a game.

Are there any co-op games (activities?) which you can't start over if you lose?

Putting more frequent start-over points than just the one at the beginning is only a reasonable courtesy for what could be a 15 hour campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's not that there are restart points, its that you can't fail.

if i'm playing a game i can lose. I can't lose a puzzle, i can get stuck and take longer to complete it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Wilker
Germany
Lemgo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But I think it would be just totally frustrating to be game over after 10 hours of play. Just see it like this: In a campaign driven game with multiple game sessions if you fail a mission / game you don't need to start from mission 1 you can just repeat it. For me this game is alike. Of course you can't fail, but you can die which is frustration enough. And in the end you could house rule it that death is death, than again it would probably not make so much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got 999 hours in but then slipped on a banana peel and died. Next time I'll choose the peas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:

if i'm playing a game i can lose. I can't lose a puzzle, i can get stuck and take longer to complete it.

I guess most modern videogames are activities by your standards

You can easily houserule this in order not to use the checkpoint mechanism at all, and restart another game from scratch ! It will only be *slightly* longer before you come back to the area you died in !

I'd totally buy a "hard mode" expansion replacing some of the cards with harsher versions and arbitrary deaths if you don't have tool X found somewhere else on the island. Learn, retry, and try to avoid that area in next playthroughs

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
abodi wrote:

I guess most modern videogames are activities by your standards :)

You can easily houserule this in order not to use the checkpoint mechanism at all, and restart another game from scratch ! It will only be *slightly* longer before you come back to the area you died in !

I'd totally buy a "hard mode" expansion replacing some of the cards with harsher versions and arbitrary deaths if you don't have tool X found somewhere else on the island. Learn, retry, and try to avoid that area in next playthroughs :)

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Yes, but what happens if i eat the garlic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
If you guys want to remove the Checkpoints to make the game harder then more power to you, feel free to play it however you like!

As for the game not punishing you for dying, well it does. When you "respawn" at a checkpoint you loose everything, all your ideas, your equipment, all that experience, everything you worked so hard to get.

The game itself doesn't get harder but the fact that it will deprive you of so much means that you are going to have to go to a lot effort into getting it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
slaybalj wrote:
Yes, but what happens if i eat the garlic?

You get a bonus against Vampires...duh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:
If you guys want to remove the Checkpoints to make the game harder then more power to you, feel free to play it however you like!

As for the game not punishing you for dying, well it does. When you "respawn" at a checkpoint you loose everything, all your ideas, your equipment, all that experience, everything you worked so hard to get.

The game itself doesn't get harder but the fact that it will deprive you of so much means that you are going to have to go to a lot effort into getting it back.

Thank you for explaining these consequences.

And thanks to everyone else participating I the discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when one character dies (not the whole party)? Does that character spawn at the check point, or the whole party? Does the character have to wait for the party to arrive at a check point? It's pretty confusing, and I didn't see it in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
The player will spawn at the most recent checkpoint and the adventure continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice van Valen
Netherlands
Breda
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarification question: if I want to move across a bridge card from several cards away, do I first pay the movement cost to the card adjacent to the bridge card and then do the action? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
De Bawa wrote:
Clarification question: if I want to move across a bridge card from several cards away, do I first pay the movement cost to the card adjacent to the bridge card and then do the action? Thanks!

As an indirect application of the rules, I'd say yes.
You may only perform actions on your location or on one of your cards, so you'd have to move first to the right location since the bridge card points at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
De Bawa wrote:

Thats the one Once you're across you can then move to any other connected land card for its cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice van Valen
Netherlands
Breda
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:
De Bawa wrote:

Thats the one Once you're across you can then move to any other connected land card for its cost.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:
The player will spawn at the most recent checkpoint and the adventure continues.

How is this accomplished, though? Is that Terrain card always available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
How is this accomplished, though? Is that Terrain card always available?

It's a special card that you'll recieve in certain locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.