Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife just bought Wrath of the Righteous, not sure how the other games compare. The characters are interchangeable, even if the other sets have them their values are different.

The game comes with one scenario, that consists of 5 missions, and an expansion pack that has another 5 missions scenario. After you're done with the scenarios you can just make up your own.

The thing with this game is, as you find new loot/treasures, you can either keep them up to your deck hand, or toss them if they're not as good, then you'd bring them with you onto the next adventure. The game comes with recommended starting items, but it's up to you if you want to use it, or pick your own. We chose to use the recommended ones, but we also bought a non WoR class deck that does not have suggestions, with that we took weak weapons, so it feels like we earned the upgrades.

The way this game plays out as well is, there are letters and numbers on the cards, B for Base Set, C for Character expansion, which can be used with any B missions, which would be the first one you play out.

Once you're done, you'd play the expansion which has a number 1 and you'd add the other number 1 cards to the deck randomly, and so on and so on with the other expansions.

As far as character goes, each have their own strengths, some are better with Strength, some Dexterity, etc. Everyone is good in one fashion or another and lacks in other areas.

I would recommend you look into the character expansion pack specifically for the set you chose to buy. Since they're more geared towards that particular set. We have the Ranger and Bard decks, which is just generic characters and they're ok, just not that great, you'd have one really awesome character out of 4, the other 3 are just meh.

BTW, this is a kind of game where you'd play it as new expansion comes out and then probably shelve the game, the replay value is ok, but it's nothing to really go crazy over. Me and my wife ran the scenario 3 times with different characters, the 3rd time we played it wasn't that exciting, we just wanted to have other characters to fool around with and catch up with our Mains. The only other way we just kept ourselves interested was making up our own scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
I don't know much about WotR but if I had to do it over again I probably would have picked up the second set. I say this mainly because of the addition of the ships. However in general the game is such that I really don't feel like going back and restarting a set... it does get quite wash-rinse-repeat after awhile. Things scale up a bit and you get a little better gear/skills, but it really is just the same thing over and over again.

Depending upon how your group interacts w/ each other (lots of play "in fighting" and smack talking) frankly I would probably recommend something like Cutthroat Caverns. It is not going to give you a full RPG/dungeon crawl like feel, but it is a lot of fun and would be exactly the type of game I would take camping. FWIW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with one of the later ones, not Runelords. I have heard that the variety of scenarios gets better. Although the game also got more complex I believe, perhaps especially with the latest - not 100% sure on those details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
I don't know much about WotR but if I had to do it over again I probably would have picked up the second set.
If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have bought it at all!
fh13 wrote:
... it does get quite wash-rinse-repeat after awhile. Things scale up a bit and you get a little better gear/skills, but it really is just the same thing over and over again.
This is the big problem I have (had) with the game: It gets old real fast. All scenarios are alike, there's very few decisions to make, gameplay is tedious (flip a card, roll a die), and character development happens at a glacial speed.

If you still feel you might enjoy that kind of game, I'd recommend to get the most recent set in the hope that the scenarios have more diversity than the ones in the older sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.