The unique Special Ability posted on the Titan Diarchy states:
"Once per game, after having researched all techs in one color(column), remove all cubes from that color and place the corresponding Research Marker to indicate researched technologies. Return the cubes to your supply."
That statement doesn't quite explain all the consequences that result in that Action, so I have some clarifying questions just to be sure I am playing the game correctly. Some of them seem to be answered directly, but I just wanted to be crystal clear since I am taking the time:
1) I presume you still are considered to have researched these technologies and gain from their effects after removing their cubes?
2) I presume all removed cubes go back to your supply and can be used during the game for other actions/population/market/etc.?
3) From the looks of it, the Research Marker's purpose is only to remind you what cumulative discounts you receive for each technology type (Military, Civilian, Transport) in the column you fully researched, and it is NOT intended to be an additional discount beyond those researched technologies? In other words, a place holder, not an additional discount.
4) As a followup to Question #1, how does using this Special Ability affect the game end conditions for Titan Diarchy's special research options of Technology Singularity and Fringe Science? Does the player consider all technologies in that column as "researched" and apply them to end game scoring?
5) How is this Special Action affected by the clarifying rules under "Cubes usage and limitations", which states: "3 cubes must be used as resources markers on the player board." For example, if during the course of the game the player only researched in one column, would that player be forbidden from using this Special Action until they had researched three technologies outside of that column, thus satisfying the above rule?
Many thanks for the anticipated response. My wife and I love the game!
A1: Correct. You do not lose your research. You merely regain the cubes. Key phrase: "place the corresponding Research Marker to indicate researched technologies."
A3: Correct. It's a summary of all discounts accumulated from that column.
A4: Yes, you are still considered having researched all the techs in that column. The special ability is merely a way for you to, once during the game, regain use of the cubes spent. The "once per game" limitation is there to ensure balance, cube supply wise.
A5: That clarifying rule has nothing to do with research or the Titan Diarchy player in general. It merely tells you that certain cubes are permanently reserved for marking certain things on the player board. In this instance, it says that 3 cubes must be used as "resource markers". This specifically refers to marking your C.P., Axinium, and Phasium. Likewise, one cube is reserved for the VP track. Those four cubes can never be used for any other purpose. (In the case of the Titan Diarchy, nothing prevents you from simply researching a single column before using the faction's special ability.)