Subject: Order of operations, timing. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

Order of operations is important, because doing those in reverse is creepy.

As such I've drawn up this chart to see if I've covered the major (and surprisingly common) edge cases, and am presenting it here to find errors.

Original chart:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Love the U2 reference -- thanks for drawing this up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The flow chart looks solid. Now it needs to be jazzed up with graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's part of why I've posted it as a pic in my gallery than as a file for the game.

It is incomplete because it only covers the points with tricky timing. I'm not certain fancy graphics on something incomplete makes sense.

And early, early today, before I went to bed, I used some Secret Wars vol 1 villains, and I think alters the future from the prior turn needs to be on here. I think it goes between the "Play top card of villain" box, and the "Play cards from hand" box. But I haven't dug through the forum, FAQ or UD's website to verify that. And the reason I say that is the location is because it obviously occurs before the player gets to play cards, but nothing occurs in a turn before the top card of the villain deck is played (which I know I've seen here in the forums), and unless it is "an interrupt and substitute effect" you complete everything on one card before going to another.

Now nothing occurs on a turn before the villain card is played might now be an obsolete rule, and alters the future might be first. Timing does matter here as once there's anything that occurs before Play Villain card, then you need to note what can't be done before it; also in this case it also affects how many cards I have in hand, going from 5 to 6, or 6 to 7 cards changes if the Master Strike is going to target me, it also means I could have drawn an additional substitution effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Krebsy

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After the Draw 6 Cards step, you may want to add an optional "Draw bonus cards". For example, Doc Ock's fight effect, Groot's effect, Savage Land Mutates, and a few others all allow you to draw cards in addition to the six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Oct is a substitution effect instead of a draw extra cards, but I get the point.

I'm going to put the alters the future effect before villain deck reveal for now to keep things simpler until I see some official clarification.

I'm also going to alter so that the villain enters the city tapped, and then plays ambush on untap. Assuming that more effects might show up where the new villain needs to be in the city during an escape, and by changing the trigger like that makes it easier to see that the new villain's ambush doesn't go off since he's not there to untap. This my not be the rule, but we haven't gotten clarification on this point and I'm trying to avoid making this a full laid out flowchart because I'd rather implement a computer version of the game.

Edit: OP updated with new version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Drawing extra cards (at the end of your turn) isn't a separate action, it's part of the same action. Nothing can or will interrupt either action, or stop either one. With all the various effects on numbers of cards in hand (let's see, "Gimpy Hand", Doc Ock, Savage Land Mutates, some of the MM tactics, Twisting Equations, etc.) surely just "Draw new hand" will suffice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.