Subject: Question: Does ship blocking improve the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Macchiavello
Brazil
Brasília
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, I was wondering if the Ship Blocking optional rule improves the game experience. Apparently, it can result it more combat (if for example several ships are blocked of more than one player), and help to bring more interaction during movement. However, it is one more thing to keep track. So, has anyone try it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimately, I recommend using the Drive Power movement method (with Ship Blocking). It provides the most thematic and sensible way to deal with movement, pursuit, and non-cloaked ships.

Besides, it's not really that hard to track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david cloutier
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Having tried the drive power management in a five player game this weekend, I find that it slows down the game a lot.

It's fun, but it's slllllooow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dacloutier wrote:
Having tried the drive power management in a five player game this weekend, I find that it slows down the game a lot.

hmmmmm, too bad it sounds like a non-starter for me. The game is great, but is pretty long as it is. We are already writing our movements on paper to speed the original movement rules. I like the idea of drive movement though - makes upgrading drives more strategic and don't even have to write things down. But i also really like hidden movement, so i guess it's pros and cons either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dacloutier wrote:

YMMV, but I have not found Drive Power movement slow at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Whittaker
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of ship blocking, but if you take the rules as written it seems like if you use the rule that ship blocking is automatic and compulsory.

It seems to me that it is more fun if ship blocking is voluntary, at the discretion of the player with the faster ships. So the player with the slower ships must ask permission and the player with the faster ships can allow the slower ships to pass.

Otherwise you could end up in a situation where a player with lightly armed faster ships may enter a hex with a player with more heavily armed ships and be forced to fight, even though the player with the slower and more heavily armed ships wanted to leave without a fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The faster ships will be able to move and will not be forced to stay to fight. If you want to fight, ship blocking becomes another way of simply saying the fight will happen in the current hex, without requiring redundant move. "Since you can't run away from my faster ships, let's fight here instead."

It gives the person with the faster ships more control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Whittaker
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but if ship blocking is forced, it can become a disadvantage. Let's say for example that player A has faster ships, but is lower in the turn order and wants to enter a hex that contains ships from player B, who is higher in the turn order. Player B wants to leave that hex to go somewhere else, so combat need not occur. However because player A moves before player B, player A's faster ships prevent player B's ships from leaving, and as a result player A and B are forced to fight.

Of course having thought about it some more I suppose in this case player A could elect not to move during that movement round, wait for player B to leave, then move in during the later movement round afforded by the better engines.

However I think it seems more logical and more fun for ship blocking to be an option for the owner of faster ships to use when they want to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.