Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might enjoy Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War, which puts a meta twist on this genre, as your pieces' identities are facing your opponent, so you don't know the identities of your own pieces, but you know your opponents' pieces.

When you want to move a piece, your opponent tells you if the movement is legal, so over time you start to identify your pieces. (The game includes a handy board and marker to keep track of the info you gather.)

There is no randomness other than the initial setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might look difficult and involving but it seriously not and any rules questions you have will be answered by a very welcoming community:

BattleCON: War of Indines or even BattleCON: Devastation of Indines. The new remastered version should be out at retailers now and is a perfect way to dip your toe into this game. This is NOT a CCG. What you get in the box is everything you need. No dice. No random card draws. So many characters to explore.

Another game to perhaps look at would be Yomi (second edition). Totally different from BattleCON, perhaps a bit easier to get into but they both provide that "I know you know" feel that you get from LotR:The Confrontation. It does have "random card draws" but each character can mitigate that to various extents.

Or maybe even 2 de Mayo? Simultaneous orders and asymmetrical gameplay in about 30min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pevsfreedom wrote:
I will say the only thing I 100% do not want is a game where I have to buy 'decks' beyond the main game - I hate that.

Nope. No purchasing anything beyond the initial cash. I mean, there are further characters you can get for both games but it's something you can wade into and then run away from in an economically painless way if you find it's just not for you.

Rodney's "Watch It Played" vid may help you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longhorn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Battle Line. You won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.