Virgin Queen» Forums » Rules

Subject: Drydock - which naval losses are covered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Kransman
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does a power with Drydock science bonus also immediately get back any ships lost during a piracy attempt (either destroyed pirate ships, or ships used to cover piracy losses)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin B.
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But not lost ships, if they belong to a minor power ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn “Beorn” Rabenstein
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting...

I was also wondering, if you get the Drydock during the turn (with the Science treasure), do you get back all the naval units already on the turn track, or only those that got destroyed after you got the Drydock?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say "get back" do be aware this means they go into the UNbuilt force pool. You still have to pay to build them again.

Maybe you knew that, but I wasn't sure.

By the time you get the Dry Dock all the units destroyed in the turn will anyway be back in your unbuilt force pool. edit: (Cough) Unless you get it with the Science Bonus treasure like you said. (Cough). See below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
When you say "get back" do be aware this means they go into the UNbuilt force pool. You still have to pay to build them again.

Maybe you knew that, but I wasn't sure.

By the time you get the Dry Dock all the units destroyed in the turn will anyway be back in your unbuilt force pool.

Bjorn was referring to the treasure that immediately grants a science bonus when played. It's definitely conceivable that that mught be played for Dry Dock once Observatory and Crypto are gone.

I would say that a player who gains Dry Dock in the middle of the turn would not get back into his force pool any naval units lost earlier in the turn. Here's a quote from Step 10 of 16.2:

Rules wrote:
10. Place Units on Turn Track: If one or more naval leaders are present on a side that is completely eliminated, they are placed on the next turn of the Turn Track. All naval units lost in the combat are also placed there. In a future turn, the leader will reenter play and the naval units may be rebuilt (8.1). (Exception: A power with
the Dry Dock science bonus returns naval units to their force pool
immediately).

Based on that passage, any naval units lost earlier in turn would already be on the track. The exception made there only applies to units lost while the player has Dry Dock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.