Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have yet to play a game; I have solo-played the first turn though, but have been way too busy to test it out. My problem is my friends - I mentioned I got Arkham Horror, all excited, and they replied with "We already tried it... it sucks. It's anti-climactic."

I was like, "Huh? How so? You're stopping Old Gods from entering and destroying our world!"

This is what really sucked me in. This should be a very exciting game.

Quote:

And they replied, "All you do is close some gates. You don't even get to fight a monster. Wee - we closed some gates... er, now the game's over? Imagine a Superman movie, Superman is flying toward the final battle, and you're watching the movie, all excited, and all he does is he closes some door and stops the monster. Then you feel you've wasted 2-3 hours."

Either this is a misquote or they don't understand the game. There are 3 things you can do with an open gate:
1) Leave it alone.
2) Close it, but don't seal it.
3) Seal it.

This is the spoiler part:
It's not "All you have to do is close some gates." It's "All you have to do is SEAL some gates."

Quote:

And I replied, "That's different... if you had to play 2-3+ hours to close ONE gate and bam, the game ends... maybe I could see that. But you're running around closing one Gate after another, trying to avoid dangers, and close multiple Gates so an ancient GOD is stopped! A God so powerful that if it DID get out, the chances of beating it are pretty slim."

The trouble is, after you've sealed 2 or 3 of the most dangerous gates, the game is practically over. (I only know this is true in the basic game. I've heard the expansions are not so simple).

Going back to my three things you can do with gates. Here is the problem:
In the basic game all you have to do is seal the dangerous gates and ignore the "safer" ones.

That just makes no sense from the theme of the game. You should be struggling to seal, or at least close, ALL of the gates! And it should be a race against time. But the way it is with the basic game, the race is over a third to a half of the way thru.

Second problem, in general the game doesn't punish you much for allowing the monsters to terrorize/eat the population. You're supposed to be heros for gods' sake! I want to see the nun gunning down the lords of the apocolypse with her double barrel 12 gauge.

I'd like to try StormKnight's variant. It twists the sequence of events in such a way as to change the basic equation (= seal big gates, ignore small ones, don't sweat the monsters). Maybe after I've got a little of my unplayed backlog cleared I'll get around to it.

As of this moment I'll hold off on the expansions. I hope they're great. But until I'm convinced they fix some big problems with the basic game, I'll be a lot more likely to try house rules and variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an "I wonder" kind of question. The first few times you play the game, it's not very obvious which gates are the dangerous ones. So the suspense is mainly intact.

What if the frequency of the gates was randomized in some fashion? Any clever house-rulers out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
gilesclone wrote:
What if the frequency of the gates was randomized in some fashion? Any clever house-rulers out there?

Going clockwise from Indipendence Square, each red location can be (ideally) numbered from 1 to 11 (e.g. 1 is Indipendence Square, 9 is the Science Building, etc.).
Roll 1d12 to determine where the gate appears (rather than using the one depicted on the Mythos card). If a 12 is rolled, use the one depicted on the Mythos card, or re-roll, or do not open any gate but add two doom tokens on the doom track, or whatever you prefer (just state it clearly at the start of the game).
Have fun! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really beleive the game is over once certain gates are sealed then make that the end game criteria and don't play on. That seems like the simplest solution.

As for lots of monster fighting, it doesn't really fit the atmosphere of a Cthulhu genre game. The main objective is to avoid the darn things and defeat them covertly. On the other hand that should be easier said than done. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions help this a bit, since they add Gate Bursts (mythos cards that reopen sealed gates) and also the one Mythos card that makes you reshuffle the deck is very important for this one factor. Even is some locations are "hotter" than others, once you reshuffle, the chances of the colder locations opening are good again (if they've already opened for example).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.