Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

I have only played three times (the first two times we had some rules wrong) but it seems like Turkey and/or Russia seems to do very well in the game.

Has this been anyone elses experience?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
No.

For us it has been Italy and Britain usually doing well, with Russia doing the worst.

It seems very balanced to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Small problem that Turkey isn't even one of the great powers.

I have seen Italy win. England. France. Austria-Hungary. I don't recall seeing the others, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Russia seems to be tough to play in my group. Often has a hard time making progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jonpfl wrote:
I have only played three times (the first two times we had some rules wrong) but it seems like Turkey and/or Russia seems to do very well in the game.

You have Turkey in your game?

Quote:
Has this been anyone elses experience?

No. I've won more with England than any other country but that's more due to personal prediliction than anything else. I've also seen Austria, Italy, Russia and Germany hit the coveted 25 spot. The only country I've never yet seen hit 25 is France but I think this is only a matter of time. Oh, and I've also seen two games now where the majority owner of the country that hit 25 was in fact not the player who won the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is that Russia gets clobbered by Austria and their shares aren't worth much in the end. You might as well use them to keep Austria or Germany down (depending on which shares you do/don't own) and look for VP elswhere.

As others have pointed out, Turkey isn't a major power in the game. Unless there is some Turkish variant of the game set 200 years earlier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my experience that no particular country will win each time. But I have instead discovered another unfortunate tendency: the same player (which isn't me) is winning all the time!
A sure sign that the game isn't balanced!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I meant to say Austria, not Turkey.

I just got done in a PBEM game of Diplomacy and there was a strong RT alliance and hence I was thinking along those lines.

It is good to see that other people are finding other outcomes.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been lately playing with following variant:

Germany starts rather than Austria-Hungary. Considering Germany being the most powerful country at the time and her central location (thus more vulnerable), we felt that was appropriate. Russia of course also gains considerably due to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.