Subject: Questions from a new player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Other than Plexiglass on top are there any ways to make board sit flat?

2. How Long does it normally take to capture france? How do you stop the British reinforcing france (I guess uboats and strategic bombing)?

Any other adive for new players would be appreciated. I really enjoyed my first game, although we didn't finish. I have read the help in the play book. Also is there any advice for us to help us come to grips with the rules a bit faster (obviously I have read them a few times, I guess I'll have to read them a few more).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1.With gentle backbending my board sits relatively flat. But I usually use plexiglass anyways.

2. Even if the British reinforce France to the max it will fall in one turn. With british reinforcing to the max, Germany WILL take a lot of losses. BUT so will the british, so it is fair. The brits will then be very vulnerable to either invasion of England or to the loss of Africa quickly.

3. This game is not a good operational level simulation of WWII. But it is good at the strategic level. What I mean is don't use common sense techniques as the Germans to invade France. Instead you must play with the game system in mind.

a) Most of the time the french defend Pas de Calais and Metz (maginot line). Calais usually has about 50% more units defending it than Metz. The attack must occur in may-june 1940 otherwise the French WILL build a field fortification in Pas de Calais and France will then be difficult to take.

b) 80% of the time my German attack is through Pas de Calais. You need to have built tons of infantry and all your Special actions, maybe 3 GSU. Lots of people overbuild planes, subs, tanks, paratroops etc.

c) You must not have used up more than 18 WERPS(including Special actions) in taking out Poland. Its a mistake to use more than 1 Special action in Poland or to attack Warsaw from across the River. Only leave one point infantry to garison Poland. THis may mean building cadre infantry units in east prussia for garrison duty.

d) YOu must not have attacked Norway. You cannot afford to take Norway until after the fall of France.

e) You can either take Belgium on the turn of the invasion of France or the turn before. Do not divert more than one infantry to Holland. The rest of the attack can be with armour that can reach Pas de Calais in one move.

f) The attack on Calais must include every infantry and armour that can get there. That means that all you infantry must be in Belgium(minus 1 in Holland, 5 cadres in Poland, maybe 1 in Baden.) That means all your armour must be in Belgium, Rhineland or Holland to attack Pas de Calais.

g) Attack with everything. Leave Rhineland empty. Leave one unit in Belgium to prevent partisans from putting your army out of supply. The French will fall in one turn, so there will not be a counterattack.

h)Do not send a unit to pin the maginot line force in Metz or he may retreat it to Paris.

i)Your first combat will be a normal attack. Only use Assault in the 2nd or 3rd attack once you have an advantage(if the british are there in force the 2nd attack should be not be an assault. You will use up 3 or 4 Special actions to take Pas de Calais , Save one to take Paris.

J) Of course this game is not that simple. If the French defend Metz very weakly then you may have to attack there instead. Or if the French defend Paris strongly then you may have to allocate 2 Special actions for there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Or if the French defend Paris strongly then you may have to allocate 2 Special actions for there.

Or if the French defend Paris strongly (as in, pull nearly everything back there, hoping to make you fight their whole army) then usually your best bet is to surround Paris; they will have to offer an armstice and you will have taken almost no losses. As the playbook says, "The Soviets will not be happy when Barbarossa is launched with practically every block in the German force pool built."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marc's take on the invasion of France is excellent, but I would add a couple of points...

First, if the Allied player has 50% more blocks in Calais than Metz, attack Metz, especially if the player is new. He probably only has infantry in there and weak ones at that. Remember the Maginot line only lasts for the first round. Your armor will not be able to shoot, but it will not get shot at either unless the French player reinforces. Even if he does, it will only be 1 armor (or 2 if one was in Paris). Your infantry will take it on the chin the first round, but your armor will roll in the second and (if necessary) 3rd round. Then stroll into Paris and wave at the French army standing in Calais.

As to Brits in France, I never put ANY in France. The Brits are very WERP poor early on and I dont want them dying in the lost cause that is France. If you want to get Brits killed, do it in Norway. If the Brits hold Trondheim, lend lease gets to Russia on a 1 for 1 basis.

The Brits will not have many WERPS in '40 and '41, but they dont have much to spend them on either (if no losses in France). The Russians will take all the WERPs can get and (IMO) this is better than a few more dead German infantry in France.

Good Luck and enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome thanks. I think I did the weather incorrectly, so it was mud for all of europe for the first 2 turns. Next time I'll do it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.