Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Here's a quick way to play this solo that I've come up with It loses a bit of the strategic play of the multiplayer game, but gains a bit of tactical play -- you can't really hate draft against yourself, but you can try to make the best of what you have in front of you.

Overview
As with the regular game, Sushi for One takes place over three rounds of drafting. At the end of each round, you will score your tableau. The objective with this variant is to beat your previous high score.

To play, you'll need a pen + paper for score keeping, and some basic math skills.

To begin the game, shuffle the entire deck together.

The round
Each round, you will draft 8 cards, one per turn. Each turn, the hand size you will have to draft from will shrink by one card, limiting your options.

To begin with, draw 8 cards and draft 1. Discard the rest. Draw a new hand of 7 cards and draft 1 of those, discarding the rest. Continue in this fashion until you draw a hand of 1 card which you must draft.

Chopsticks work in this variant just like they do in the regular game -- you place the chopsticks card into the hand you're drafting from, and draft 2 cards from it instead of just one.

At the end of the round, you should have a tableau of 8 cards in front of you. Go through the discards for this last round and pull out all of the discarded Pudding cards, and place them face up next to the discard pile. Also, pull out all the discarded Maki cards, shuffle them and deal them into three roughly equal face down piles. Then choose one to discard without looking, and flip the other two piles over as one hand. This is your 'opponent' for Maki count this round.

Score this per the regular rules, and discard all non-Pudding cards.

Play 2 more rounds in this way, and then move on to final scoring. Do *not* reshuffle the discards into the deck -- there should be exactly enough cards to play 3 rounds.

Final Scoring
Time to score puddings. Compare your number of Puddings to the number of face-up puddings next to the discard pile. If you have strictly more puddings than the pile, you gain 6 points. If you have the same number, or fewer puddings than the pile, you lose 6 points.

Soy Sauce Theory
I don't own the Soy Sauce promo, and I wish I did... but, here's a theory on how to make it work in this variant.

At the end of the round, after pulling out puddings from the discard but before discarding your cards, shuffle the discard pile thouroughly and deal 10 cards face up for the 'dummy' player. Assume they drafted a soy sauce if one doesn't show up in their tableau. Compare colors -- you only gain the 4 points if you have strictly more colors than they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inky Bloc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see the problem that, since every card is used every game, you know how many puddings there are going to be, so you'll need to get 6 in order to get the majority and not lose the 6 points.

Also, how are maki rolls treated? Do you automatically get 6 points for having any maki rolls?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
inkybloc wrote:
I can see the problem that, since every card is used every game, you know how many puddings there are going to be, so you'll need to get 6 in order to get the majority and not lose the 6 points.

Not a problem in my eyes (and actually as intended) -- your strategy from game to game may change, and it might be more important in some situations to ignore the puddings. But, to each their own!

inkybloc wrote:
Also, how are maki rolls treated? Do you automatically get 6 points for having any maki rolls?

Whoa, good catch! For whatever reason, I forgot to type that bit up. I've edited it into the original post. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric G
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confused on the end of the game section.

After your turn is over you pull out all the Pudding cards and place them face up next to the discard pile. Then you pull out the Maki cards in the discard pile and shuffle them(?). What do I shuffle them with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolf9545 wrote:
I am confused on the end of the game section.

After your turn is over you pull out all the Pudding cards and place them face up next to the discard pile. Then you pull out the Maki cards in the discard pile and shuffle them(?). What do I shuffle them with?

Just the Maki cards from the discard pile, nothing else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric G
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you need to shuffle the Maki cards then if they are all pulled out from the discard pile? If they are all Maki cards, then shuffling them would do nothing. I understand about the "two piles" for the dummy hand but I don't see the point of the shuffling.

I think one of my main problems with the rules was I was always reading it as the dummy hand would also score points. Yes, I know it says under setup that the goal is to beat your previous score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuffling the maki cards adds a little chaos. When picking one of the three stacks to discard, are you choosing a stack with multiple 3x maki, or a stack with all 1x maki? There's no way to know if the maki cards have been shuffled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompt wrote:
Shuffling the maki cards adds a little chaos. When picking one of the three stacks to discard, are you choosing a stack with multiple 3x maki, or a stack with all 1x maki? There's no way to know if the maki cards have been shuffled.

This exactly. It's the only way I could think of to simulate the other players hate-drafting Maki against you. I didn't ever claim it was elegant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric G
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I haven't played Sushi Go in a long time.

When I saw this, https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/127747/sushi-go-rules-cla..., I noticed there was a single player option. I followed the rules and was confused, hence posting here. I completely forgot the different amounts of Maki on the cards. It all makes sense now, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Miguel Cano
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was trying this variant (I just received the game as a gift and haven't played with other people yet). Anyone wishing to put high-scores here for reference? My first play was 50 points in 3 rounds. It's impossible to beat the maki count of the dummy, damn it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So I feel like a complete idiot when playing this variant. Any tips on strategies?

I guess I need to try some new things out.
I usually strive to collect 6 puddings by the end of the 3rd round...and I usually attempt to draft 3x sashimi (10 points) every round if able. From there I usually just try to get a few dumplings or some nigiris. I don't even bother trying to collect maki at all.

But going this way, my focus is 100% on trying to get the puddings and getting 3 sashimi...and I'm just not getting very good scores. I usually end between 30-36 points and rarely get over 40. The person above this post said he hit 50 on his first game, and I haven't come close to that.

Any tips/strategies?

lol I suck at this game >.<'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps don't focus on both pudding and sashimi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More specifically, look at the average points per card.

If you are going for Puddings, you need 6 to get the +6 and avoid the -6, for a total of 12. That's 2 points per card. Sashimi is 3 cards for 10 points, or 3.3 for card. That's a much better return.

Compare these to some of the other cards:

Tempura - 2.5 points
Squid - 3 points
Wasabi/Salmon - 3 points
Wasabi/Squid - 4.5 points

Looking at them this way, do you think going for Pudding (which requires you to get 6 of the 10 cards available) is a good strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Hi,

Do you think this rule can be applied to Sushi go Party? In the game instead of a deck of 108 cards, we get 54 cards + desserts. That will make:

Round 1 have 59 cards
Round 2 have 57 cards + the remain desserts cards
Round 3 have 56 cards + the remain desserts cards.

So instead of 8 cards at the first turn, 10 cards can be draw and keep decreasing after each turn. At the end of the round, all the card are reshuffle back into the deck except the desserts card that has been taken.

For the new card:

Uramaki: at the end of a turn, the remain uramaki will be in the 'dummy' player hand. After you reach the 10th uramaki, choose 1/3 of the uramaki in the 'dummy' hand randomly and discard them. If the remain is more than you, you only score 5 point. At the end of the round and there are less than 10 uramaki in your chosen cards, compare it to the dummy hand and score like maki roll.

Miso soup: If you take miso soup and there are more than 1 miso soup left in the hand. Shuffle the hand and pick a card. If that card is also miso soup, you will score 0 point this turn.

The rest will work the same as the original game and all the card that designed for 3 players and above will not be played in this solo game.

I haven't test this yet but will do it when I receive the game. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.