Subject: First time post and advice for a game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casper Veldhuijzen
Netherlands
Flevoland
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, although I have been lurking for a while.

Currently I'm looking for a new card game like Magic the gathering. (which I already have some of.) I like the aspect of deck building (but not the dominion kind), I prefer to build my deck in advance and then duke it out.

Is this enough information? If you guys need more for suggestions, let me know.

Thanks in advance,

CroVaXNL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner is a lot of fun and fits what you're looking for. Not sure what player count you're looking for, but this is 2 player only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of good suggestions that can be made here. For something very similar you can go for...

Summoner Wars: which provides me my fix for duelling mages
Mage Wars Arena: which gives you a spellbook instead of a deck to play with.

Other alternatives include the multitude of LCGs that FFG have put out.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game: my favourite because it's co-operative and easier to play casually with friends.
Android: Netrunner: the most popular
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition): the shiniest and newest (therefore easiest to get into without dropping a ton of money). Also supports multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that Smash Up did fairly well calming that MTG need for me and my friends. You don't get much of that collection and building but for me it just worked. Its a simple pick two and go.
Plenty will disagree with smash up saying its just not similar enough but its worth your time to check it out because it sure worked for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
auroramu wrote:
Android: Netrunner is a lot of fun and fits what you're looking for. Not sure what player count you're looking for, but this is 2 player only.

+1 for Netrunner.

I'll suggest (because nobody else has) Ashes, Rise of the Pheonixborn by Plaid Hat Games. You can build decks here, but it is designed to be balanced without too. There is also a drafting deck build and more decks are on the way.

OR... Jump into the Dicemaster world and "deck" build with dice (and cards). Inexpensive (ish). Dive in for $15 for a starter set and then plop down another $20 for 20 foil packs and you'll be back for more the next week. I honestly don't think this is as solid a game as Magic, but for something completely different that is kinda the same (and fun), it might be worth the cash.

Veil Spaß

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Dixon
United States
Herndon
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn Is coming out in about a week and is very similar to magic, though the deck building is limited for now as new sets have yet to be release (or announced...).

Otherwise i like all the other suggestions as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add Blue Moon Legends everything you need is in the one box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
auroramu wrote:
Yeah, either that for casual play or Call of Cthulhu if you're more competitively-minded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: The Card Game is great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef Kevin
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
The best mats ever!
badge
Yes, that's me in the latte!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

I used to play magic way back in the early days and it's part of the reason why I love this game so much. You can play it solo, or with up to 3 friends cooperatively (with another core set). Each scenario is challenging in its own way. It's extremely thematic and you get to select your heroes in addition to building your deck.

Warning: It has a difficult learning curve, but completely worth it. I suggest watching videos of others playing/setting up online, as there are little nuances that you may miss. Once you get it, it flows extremely well then.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn or Vs System 2PCG: The Marvel Battles are both good, depends on what theme you like best.

If you're ok sacrificing some of the deck construction aspects, Summoner Wars is a ton of fun.

If you want the deck construction, but like the idea of running around on a board, Mage Wars Arena is a great game, albeit a little daunting at first.

Something a little different, but still in the 2-player duel vein, Pixel Tactics is a great little game that I wish I could get to the table more often. If you buy more than the first set (there are 3), you can do some constructed styles of play. I haven't tried that yet, though, so I'm unsure how it stacks up, but the game itself is very solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer: Invasion is my favorite deck-builder for building decks and duking it out.

You play as one of 4 races (dwarves, orks, chaos, or order [or good/evil elves with one of the expansions]) and try to destroy your opponent's capital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Mage Wars Arena though it's a longer game. Mage Wars Academy removes the board and movement but is much quicker and the cards can carry over to the full version. This is the game that replaced MtG for me. I love the spell book so one does not need to hope one draws the cards to pull off the moves one want's to. Card pack are not random, you know what you are getting when you pick up expansion packs.

The LGSs such as Android: Netrunner are IMO also more desirable then MtG as like Mage Wars the packs are not random. You know what you are buying in each pack.

Pixel Tactics is totally worth a shot at it's price point. Each pack comes with two identical decks but the cards have different abilities depending on how/where they are played so there is a high replay value. If you want to have deck construction you will need to purchase more then one edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Veldhuijzen
Netherlands
Flevoland
flag msg tools
Thanks everybody for the recommendations.
Ill go through the games and ill Let you know what I got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.