Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Blumenthal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

After reading countless threads, I want to check my understanding of nested priorities, default priorities, and non-player conditions for Ops and Special activities.

First, I understand that if there are conditions on an OP, they must be met, otherwise, you follow the flowchart to the next OP (this is the diamond path on the reference card).

Second, If conditions are met, you use the priorities listed, from top to bottom. Sometimes, the priorities are nested with the phrase "within that...", and come in separate bullets or within a bullet. Here is one case:

NVA Attack 8.6.2:
"First, target enemy pieces in Laos or Cambodia, then those in South Vietnam.

-Within that priority, Attack first in those spaces in which the most enemy pieces total could be removed.

-Within that priority, Attack first where a base could be removed..."

So let me set up the example. We have an NVA Attack, and the non-player conditions have been met (has 3 resources, NVA troops attacking alone can add control, or remove US/ARVN base, or remove the last, or remove at least 4 enemy pieces from a space). Note that only space D in the example below meets these conditions for Attack). So we have:

Example 1)
a. Space A (Laos) has 2 enemy pieces that could be removed (not the last, no base, no SF, no control shift)
b. Space B (Laos) has 3 enemy pieces that could be removed (not the last, no base, no SF, no control shift)
c. Space C (Cambodia) has 3 enemy pieces that could be removed (not the last, no base, no SF, no control shift)
d. Space D (South Vietnam) has 3 enemy pieces that could be removed (last pieces, no base, no SF, Control Shift).

So 8.6.2, we read ahead 3 bullets because we have ties up to the 3rd bullet. We would randomly choose between Space B and Space C as the first Attack candidate, since they have a tie breaker in bullet 2 against Space A (they have more pieces). Say we randomly determine it's Space C to lead the Attack. Then we would choose the other space not randomly chosen (B), and finally Space A. "Within that" doesn't imply you "exit" the priority and jump to the next bullet after choosing C, you just treat whatever is after the "within that" as satisfied and cascade backwards up the clause or bullets preceding. Correct?

So now I have a conundrum in the Attack example. Theoretically, attacking alone, NVA could remove the last pieces of Space D, which is why we started to Attack. But they wouldn't ever get there, and thus run out of money before they could Attack in Space D, given their priorities to do everything they can in Cambodia or Laos first. Do I then decide that an Attack isn't possible after all, and move to Terror instead?

A different, second example:

NVA Attacks, and meets the conditions for Attack in at least one space, goes through the priorities, identifies all spaces available given those priorities (and can conduct an attack that would satisfy the original conditions), and finally, still has 3 resources and 2 remaining spaces to attack. These final 2 spaces do not satisfy the conditions at the top; i.e. they would not add Control, remove a US/AVRN Base, remove the last or remove at least 4 enemies. Do we ignore these spaces, or do we follow 8.1.1 and Attack in the maximum number of places possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another case of "clarifying the rules changed them"... Here the flowchart says "then" where the rulebook says "within that"...

AJzer wrote:
So 8.6.2, we read ahead 3 bullets because we have ties up to the 3rd bullet. We would randomly choose between Space B and Space C as the first Attack candidate, since they have a tie breaker in bullet 2 against Space A (they have more pieces). Say we randomly determine it's Space C to lead the Attack. Then we would choose the other space not randomly chosen (B), and finally Space A. "Within that" doesn't imply you "exit" the priority and jump to the next bullet after choosing C, you just treat whatever is after the "within that" as satisfied and cascade backwards up the clause or bullets preceding. Correct?

Correct per the rulebook text...

Quote:
So now I have a conundrum in the Attack example. Theoretically, attacking alone, NVA could remove the last pieces of Space D, which is why we started to Attack. But they wouldn't ever get there, and thus run out of money before they could Attack in Space D, given their priorities to do everything they can in Cambodia or Laos first. Do I then decide that an Attack isn't possible after all, and move to Terror instead?[7q]
Correct. The first NVA diamond asks if "Troop Attack will...", and with only 3 Resources the bot doesn't have enough Resources to target that space - i.e., the Troop Attack will not remove the last enemy piece or a COIN Base or 4+ enemies in any space.

[q]A different, second example:

NVA Attacks, and meets the conditions for Attack in at least one space, goes through the priorities, identifies all spaces available given those priorities (and can conduct an attack that would satisfy the original conditions), and finally, still has 3 resources and 2 remaining spaces to attack. These final 2 spaces do not satisfy the conditions at the top; i.e. they would not add Control, remove a US/AVRN Base, remove the last or remove at least 4 enemies. Do we ignore these spaces, or do we follow 8.1.1 and Attack in the maximum number of places possible?

8.1.1 only applies "unless otherwise specified", but 8.6.2 does specify otherwise.

However, in 8.6.2 you are confusing the conditions for selecting the Attack Op at all (those in the decision diamond on the flowchart) with the priorities that determine what the bot does if it does select the Attack Op (those in the Attack box on the flowchart). As your first example demonstrated, those two are not the same thing!

NVAbot will select the Attack Op if any Attack space selected per the priority bullets in the Attack box meets any of the four conditions in the diamond. Once it has selected to Attack it will execute the Op in all spaces it can afford to pay for, in the order specified by the Attack bullets. A space where the Attack would only be able to remove a single ARVN cube that isn't the last COIN piece in the space would have very low priority, but if NVAbot opts to Attack and has enough Resources it will Attack there too.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Blumenthal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
However, in 8.6.2 you are confusing the conditions for selecting the Attack Op at all (those in the decision diamond on the flowchart) with the priorities that determine what the bot does if it does select the Attack Op (those in the Attack box on the flowchart). As your first example demonstrated, those two are not the same thing!

I wasn't confused; the second example was unrelated to the first. A different question. Thanks for the clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.