Friday» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Get Off My Island -- Friday's Futile Endeavors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Quallen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first post and session report! I've reviewed several session reports from games my spouse and I play here at BGG and I want to log my thoughts and ideas. Seems like a great place to get in on the BGG action!

Preface: I've played ~15 games of Friday coming into this game. I've won two times, although I have no idea of how I won the first time My current strategy is to (generally) take the highest hazard card the first time through the Robinson deck. My thought here is choosing the highest card gives me ample opportunity to rid my deck of the -1 and 0 point cards, while leaving the hazard deck as thick as possible to delay the onset of the second phase. That's about as far as my definable strategy goes and I'll usually play the hazards by feel and what I figure I have left in the deck. What follows is a play-out of this nebulous strategy. Please feel free to leave any feedback regarding strategy or content of this first post!

Music: Dopes to Infinity (Monster Magnet)

Time: 1 hr (including typing!)

Difficulty: Level 1 (Easy)

Pirates:
* 10 free cards; 40 pts
* 10 free cards; 52 pts; Each face up fighting card counts +1

Round 1 (through Robinson fighting deck):
I won the phase -1 with a weak card, where I had no choice as both hazards were 0 pt hazards. I also won a '1x double' inadvertently while trying to lose an extra card with the genius card. I lost all other battles, eliminating 4x-1 and 4x0 with the remaining -1 and 0 cards in play against a cannibal card (down by 7 yuk). I have 11 HP left.

Round 2:
I did throw back a cannibal hazard in place of a raft (0 pt) hazard, going against my predefined strategy. My deck was getting a little thin and I'm worried about throwing too many cards at only one hazard. I was able to eliminate all of the weak and distracted cards as well as the 'scared' (highest card = 0) aging card, which I eliminated via paying HP after the fight. I have only 9 cards in my deck (prior to adding the aging card) and 4 HP.

Round 3:
I won all of the first 3 hazards quite easily, including a wild animal. The hazard deck has run out and the second phase begins with my deck at 12 cards (decent ones, I suppose) and 6 HP. I was able to use 'destroy' on the hungry aging card, making it a non-issue. I ran out with 13 cards in the deck (prior to the aging card) and 5 HP.

Round 4:
I got the stop aging card, which was drawn as an extra card, such that it meant nothing. I paid the 2 HP to eliminate it through a lost battle. I ended up with 18 cards in the fighting deck before the aging card and 4 HP. Time to start winning hazards and getting HP back!

Round 5:
I made a decision in this round that I've never made before, but I used a destroy on a focused (+1) card. I had plenty of points for that battle, and I'm starting to wonder about the usefulness of +1 cards in the 3rd phase and against the pirates. In both of those rounds the cards are expected to be worth about +3 each, and so the powers of cards become so much more important (I guess ). I was able to eliminate the scared card with a destroy easily enough. With some expensive battles against cannibals and wild animals I have 20 cards before the aging card and 4 HP.

Round 6:
Phase 3 began right at the beginning of this round. The hazard deck has 11 cards left at the onset of phase 3, most of which are raft and exploring hazards. I got the stupid (-2) aging card, which ended up costing me 4 HP the way the battle worked out. That's expensive! I also lost a hard fought battle while exploring the island which ended up costing me more than I should have spent for it. At the end of the round I have 24 cards in the fighting deck and only 1 HP left. I'm also actively 3 down on the table with no free cards left!

Round 7:
I had to spend the final HP to get a focused card (which I again wonder if it should be around in phase 3!). This leaves me -1 with no HP and the game ends.

* Pirates: 0 pts (Neither pirate defeated)
* Hazards: -30 pts (10 unbeaten hazards)
* Total: 3 pts

Comments:
This one got away from me early, or at least it felt like it. I'm finding that my worries tend to begin in the third phase, where I feel like I'm ready to lose every battle.

I'm wondering about the strategy of leaving all of the lower point raft cards in until phase 3. Getting only 1 free card might reduce the probability of getting a power which will help win the battle. The powers start to really build up in the deck by the time phase 3 rolls around, and could help win those higher point battles (like cannibals and animals).

I'm finding this game to take me 40-45 minutes (without the stopping to type). I'm curious to see how long it takes everyone else. I'm really enjoying Friday and will eventually figure it out!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't lose points for undefeated pirates - you just don't gain the points you would have by defeating them:
Friday rules wrote:
Add 15 points for each defeated pirate card (undefeated pirates are ignored).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Quallen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gillum! I'll edit that now. I'm fairly certain that I've not been subtracting the pirate points in my other scores. In fact, I was wondering why that score was so low!

Regardless, it didn't feel like a good round of Friday. Maybe today, on Friday, will be better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tigrezno
msg tools
Hi Sean, I feel sorry to inform you that you've infringed the game mechanics.

You can't discard cards based on discarded life points. Only based on the total amount of life you lose on the fight.

So if you lose 2 life in a fight where you already discarded 3 life for extra draws, you only get to discard 2 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Quallen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tigrezno wrote:

You can't discard cards based on discarded life points. Only based on the total amount of life you lose on the fight.

So if you lose 2 life in a fight where you already discarded 3 life for extra draws, you only get to discard 2 cards.

Thanks for the response! I certainly want to make sure that I'm following the rules correctly. However, I'm not sure where I made this error. Can you point out what part of the game where I did this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SSJGQ wrote:
tigrezno wrote:

Thanks for the response! I certainly want to make sure that I'm following the rules correctly. However, I'm not sure where I made this error. Can you point out what part of the game where I did this?

At one point, you referred to "the 'scared' (highest card = 0) aging card, which I eliminated via discarded HP."

I expect that you meant "discarded at fight's end," but it could have been misinterpreted as "discard during a fight."

The rules use the term "discard" only to refer to cards, not life points.

For the most part, the rules use the term "sacrifice" for the yielding of a life point to draw an extra card. They usually use "pay" for the yielding of life points after losing a fight. Perhaps unfortunately, they also use "sacrifice" when explaining that you cannot, after losing a fight, yield more life points than the amount by which you lost the fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Quallen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gillum! I did, indeed, pay HP after the battle. I've edited that one with the aging card. I'm not going to edit any more of this post such that I can focus on another one. I will use the terminology you've recommended in the previous post.

I do want to post more of my experiences with Friday, so I'll probably post another game session. As a solo game it's difficult to get objective feedback about the game, so I appreciate the responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocka Rolla
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had to give you gold just for Dopes to Infinity goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.