Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need a recommendation for at least 2 games (hopefully reasonable in price) that support a minimum of 1-2 players; also no collectibles games please. I need the reccomendations ASAP since I plan on picking one or two tomorrow morning.

What is enjoyed by those I game with:
Carcassonne (I don't own it, so no expansion recommendations)
Arkham Horror
Citadels
Chess
Backgammon
Lord of the Rings: TCG
Star Wars Miniatures

What I'm leaning towards, although I would love game suggestions of stuff I haven't thought of:

Marvel Heroes (me and the friend I primarily game with are huge fans of Marvel)
Colossal Arena
Scarab Lords
Minotaur Lords
Wyatt Earp
San Juan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme can take a game a long way, so I recommend that you get the Marvel Heroes.

Colossal Arena is one of my favorites. It was originally produced under a different name by a different company (Titan: The Arena by the old Avalon Hill), and was hugely popular, hence it being reissued. I have had good success geting a variety of people to play it: wargamers, eurogamers, non-gamers -- and everyone likes it. High replayability, difficult decisions in such a little game, and the pace of the game keeps things moving quickly. Expect your first game to be for practice/learning only (or perhaps just a couple rounds, then re-start the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not going by number of players necessarily, but San Juan and Colossal Arena are both great great games.(not sure how good Colossal Arena is as a two player, is that even playable that way?)

Marvel is certainly I game I'd like to get, but I've heard the rules are a bit confusing (and that's being kind) and that the game is unbalanced so I'd definitely try before buying.
I own minotaur lords, but haven't played, but I hear its just so so. I'd recommend Roma as a good two player game that might go over pretty well.

Wyatt Earp is basically a mystery rummy variant. I've never played (but do own) but have played Jack The Ripper Mystery Rummy which is best as a two player and which I'd recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
If you like Blue Moon, you'll like Scarab/Minotaur Lords.

I doubt Colossal Arena could be played with only two players. The bluffing aspect is a huge part to the game and would be hard with only two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmb
Of the games you mention Marvel Heroes looks the coolest (I'm about to purchase it myself). But I can't comment on its 2-player suitability.

I would recommend

Carcassonne: The Castle (Not an expansion and quite a different exp.)
Battle Line is a great 2 player only card game

The Kosmos Series of 2-player card games is great and I'd recommend -

Odin's Ravens

Memoir '44 and BattleLore are brilliant if you don't mind mini's and simple rules (cost a factor here)

I've heard that Twilight Struggle is another 2-player gem and one I also must have.

I really do not like Scarab\Minotaur lords and wouldn't recommend.

Instead of Wyatt Earp try other games in the Mystery Rummy Series. Same designer but slightly better play. Al Capone is probably the pick.

Hope that helps.sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Attika
San Juan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies.

I have a few games in mind for when I go to the store tomorrow; including a few I would have never thought of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up getting Marvel Heroes as I felt $33 was kinda steep for Attika at this time.

It's true this game is very buggy; but the bugs do work out with a bit of reading over the rules. My biggest complaint is they appear to have been written in a foreign language and sections were translated by non-native speakers.

I'm definitely glad I got it; I have a box of Hero Clix and after I've went through the pre-made scenariors and what not, it my be fun to add new teams or masterminds.

My friend picked up Carcassonne: Inns and Cathedrals, and its freaking great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmb
I got Marvel Heroes too.

If you think Inns & Cathedrals is great - get Traders & Builders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.