Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my questions with what I think the answers are:

Quote:
Question #1: The card states that you roll dice to see how many units you command. What happens if you roll a bonus or a retreat flag?

I'm guessing nothing and you are SOL.

Quote:
Question #2: What if your opponent plays a counterattack after you play a battlelore card?

Again, I would guess nothing as the card has been reshuffled into the deck. Thus the counterattack would be pointless.

Thanks,
Chris H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
1) The only dice rolls that make sense are ones that match unit colors. So yes, lore, bonus shields, and retreats count for nothing.

2) I don't recall any condition on the counterattack card. It simply says that you do the last action your opponent did. So I think your interpretation may be incorrect. The reshuffling does not in any way preclude repeating the last action. (I could be wrong)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hedrich
United States
Lehigh Acres
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Lore rolls result in you being able to choose any unit to order, not nothing.

2) The counterattack card states that you get to issue the same orders that your opponent did on his/her turn, I'm pretty sure the cop card in the discard pile has nothing to do with this at all, so the player who plays counterstrike after a battlelore card is played should get to roll the dice, and tetermine which units he/she can command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike is correct.

Read the cards again:

1) Lore rolled equals ordering any unit of your choice. They are "wild cards."

2) Counterattack counters the ORDER, not the card. Anyway, there is no mention that the card has to be in the discard pile to be countered - it just has to be the last Command Card played. This is how it is played in all the Command & Color games.

Also note tha tyou can Counter Attack the Counter Attack and in essense play BattleLore 3 times in a row. Each time rolling dice to see how many and which type of units can be ordered and then shuffling the decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Rylore wrote:
1) Lore rolls result in you being able to choose any unit to order, not nothing.

Forgot that. This is what happens when you depend on memory at age 40 blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Tapp
United States
Waterloo
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:
2) Counterattack counters the ORDER, not the card. Anyway, there is no mention that the card has to be in the discard pile to be countered - it just has to be the last Command Card played. This is how it is played in all the Command & Color games.

Also note tha tyou can Counter Attack the Counter Attack and in essense play BattleLore 3 times in a row. Each time rolling dice to see how many and which type of units can be ordered and then shuffling the decks.

Hmmm... We have been playing it this way:

Example: I play the BattleLore card and roll 4 dice. My results are 1 red unit, 1 green unit and a unit of my choice, (choosing a blue unit), and the 4th dice landing on a retreat flag thus no choice.

After I complete my move, my opponent plays Counter Attack and now has to choose the same unit types as I do... 1 Red, 1 Green, 1 Blue all the while adhering to the card rules by ordering on the same side... (red left, blue middle, green right)

We play it this way because if I play BattleLore and my opponent has, say, 6 command cards...he iss issuing more orders than I did (potentially) and the actions do not mirror the ones I just played.

Thanks
Shane
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tstapp1026 wrote:
BrianMola wrote:

Hmmm... We have been playing it this way:

Example: I play the BattleLore card and roll 4 dice. My results are 1 red unit, 1 green unit and a unit of my choice, (choosing a blue unit), and the 4th dice landing on a retreat flag thus no choice.

After I complete my move, my opponent plays Counter Attack and now has to choose the same unit types as I do... 1 Red, 1 Green, 1 Blue all the while adhering to the card rules by ordering on the same side... (red left, blue middle, green right)

We play it this way because if I play BattleLore and my opponent has, say, 6 command cards...he iss issuing more orders than I did (potentially) and the actions do not mirror the ones I just played.

Thanks
Shane

There's nothing on the Counter Attack card that indicates the actions need to mirror each other. The card simply allows your opponent to issue the same order you just used. Furthermore, Battlelore is not a section card, so issuing the order in the same sections is not a requirement. If your opponent has 6 command cards, he can roll 6 dice and order the indicated units in any area he chooses.

I wonder, though, how have you been playing Counter Attacks of other tactics cards like "Green/Blue Banners" or "Darken the Skies?" If your opponent has more ranged units than you, are you limiting him to only the number you were able to activate? Are you limiting him to the same number of Green or Blue banners as you? In the same sections? Your interpretation leads to logistical nightmares...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
tstapp1026 wrote:

Counter attack just duplicates the card, not the way or degree your opponent used it (and for section cards it flips the wings so it can be used to engage on the same wing as your opponent did). That means any card that is limited by your command will get a better/worse effect dependent on the countering player's number of command cards. It also means if a card is used 'modally' (for instance, Mounted Charge played by player A who has no Mounted units instead uses the second ability of ordering any one unit... if this card is Counter Attack'ed, the Counter Attack'ing player must attempt the Cavalry portion and cannot resort to the 'any one unit' unless he, too, has no mounted units). And any card that makes post-play-time determinations (like the BattleLore card) will have those determinations made again from scratch.

Here's a hint: if you're playing Agincourt on the side that doesn't have the 5 Archers, don't play "Darken the Sky" unless your certain the opponent doesn't have a Counter Attack. Because if he has counter attack, you can bet it will be a lot more powerful attack against you than it will be for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
thatmarkguy wrote:
Counter attack just duplicates the card

Agreed. That seems to be the cleanest interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:
Mike is correct.

Read the cards again:

1) Lore rolled equals ordering any unit of your choice. They are "wild cards."

That was the interpretation we have been using, but the Counter Attack a Counter Attack thing does *feel* weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.