15 Posts

Orléans» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Bathhouse in recent rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Chen
China
flag msg tools
I've checked other posts about the bathhouse's rules. Recent discussion shows a following depiction:

During Phase 3, you may draw 2 additional Character Tiles, then return one tile you have drawn this turn to the bag. (You will still need space in your market to hold the character tile you gain from this, after returning one to your bag).

Is it carried out next turn? As there's no such delayed effect without any cue, I wonder how this works?soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico W.
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Draw 2 tiles, put one on an action space (you may not put in the market!), return the other one to the bag together with the tile used to activate the Bathhouse. On your next turn (normally in the same round, unless you pass), you can take the action where you put the tile (if all necessary tiles are there to do the action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chen
China
flag msg tools
N2xU wrote:

Draw 2 tiles, put one on an action space (you may not put in the market!), return the other one to the bag together with the tile used to activate the Bathhouse. On your next turn (normally in the same round, unless you pass), you can take the action where you put the tile (if all necessary tiles are there to do the action).

Thanks for your reply!

In the rules it says "during phase 3", which means the action can't be carried out during Phase 5: the Action Phase.

Does it mean you claim to take the action this round during Phase 5 and remove the tiles on bathhouse, and then in the next turn the effect carry out during Phase 3.

Or should I simply take the action during Phase 3, the Followers Phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Which rules are you referring to?

My copy (recieved from dlp in july) has the revised bathhouse but says nothing about phase 3. You activate the bathhouse like any other action in phase 5 by pulling out 2 workers and returning 1.

Doing it in phase 3 would be more powerful, as you'd be able to plan other actions with the knowledge of what options the baths give you, but we find the bathhouse is plenty popular anyway, you are always more likely to draw whatever you have most of left in the bag (which will probably be whatever you are short of after phase 3) and it is a great way to use farmers up if you are maintaining a lead on the farming track.

If newer versions do say phase 3, would be interested to understand what design benefit people are seeing that compensates for the complication of a phase 3 action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The original tile was an action that let you put workers straight into action slots, in the middle of the action resolution phase. The suggested rule in the TMG rulebook simply modifies the way you receive workers- they don't go into action slots, they go into your market as normal, during phase 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chen
China
flag msg tools
truekid wrote:
The original tile was an action that let you put workers straight into action slots, in the middle of the action resolution phase. The suggested rule in the TMG rulebook simply modifies the way you receive workers- they don't go into action slots, they go into your market as normal, during phase 3.

Thank youI think I can figure out how it works now.

Let's say I take the action of Bathhouse on Phase 5, Round 3. So I can draw 2 more tiles in Phase 3, Round 4, and keep 1 more tile if possible, on my market.

Am I getting it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not sure, I think the variant TMG are suggesting is use the bathhouse as an action you can place a worker on and and resolve entirely in phase 3?

Sounds unnecessarily complicated to me. If I were you, I'd play per the designers standard rules first - in which it is just a normal action entirely within phase 5. If that doesn't work for your group try looking for variants at that point.

Since my post above I also realised the tmg variant would prevent the neat trick where you can occasionally do the same action twice (if the bathhouse draws a worker that can trigger an action on its own thanks to a tech tile).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The TMG version is not a "place a guy here for an action" space, it's an always-on ability that triggers when you draw your workers for the turn.

The reasons we felt it needed to be changed (and to note: it's not just us who felt it needed to be changed, the designer has posted several possible variants on his website) were:

The effect was too strong compared to other buildings.
Huge amounts of downtime was generated in the middle of resolving actions- a phase that can normally be done mostly simultaneously grinds to a halt when that building is in play. It can easily add 50% onto your gametime by itself.
An action chosen mid-phase can cause other players to not be able to perform the action they intended, with no warning. It's one thing if you choose for that to be a possibility, but this building tile can cause it even if you try to play around it.

For the above reasons, I do not recommend playing with the original rules for it- if you choose not to use TMG's variant, please check out the designer's variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chen
China
flag msg tools
truekid wrote:
The TMG version is not a "place a guy here for an action" space, it's an always-on ability that triggers when you draw your workers for the turn.

The reasons we felt it needed to be changed (and to note: it's not just us who felt it needed to be changed, the designer has posted several possible variants on his website) were:

Huge amounts of downtime was generated in the middle of resolving actions- a phase that can normally be done mostly simultaneously grinds to a halt when that building is in play. It can easily add 50% onto your gametime by itself.
An action chosen mid-phase can cause other players to not be able to perform the action they intended, with no warning. It's one thing if you choose for that to be a possibility, but this building tile can cause it even if you try to play around it.

For the above reasons, I do not recommend playing with the original rules for it- if you choose not to use TMG's variant, please check out the designer's variants.

Thank you for the detailed reply! That's exactly what I understand from the TMG rules. Here's one more question

You've mentioned the ability of bath house is an always-on ability, does it mean if I put a farmer there to make it activated, I can use the ability in phase 3 every round, without getting the farmer back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chenchin wrote:
truekid wrote:

Thank you for the detailed reply! That's exactly what I understand from the TMG rules. Here's one more question

You've mentioned the ability of bath house is an always-on ability, does it mean if I put a farmer there to make it activated, I can use the ability in phase 3 every round, without getting the farmer back?

truekid wrote:

You won't put a Farmer on the bathhouse in this version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chen
China
flag msg tools
But there is a Farmer Position on the tile......what's it for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a mostly faded out position to facilitate using the old rules if you would like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike berk
United States
rancho cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the tile you put back have to be one of the two from the bathhouse or can it be anyone you drew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Singleton
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

You won't put a Farmer on the bathhouse in this version.

Sorry if I missed this in a Bathhouse variant threads, but has anyone played with the TMG rules and required the farmer to activate the place tile? If so, to what effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
xtsgarp wrote:
Does the tile you put back have to be one of the two from the bathhouse or can it be anyone you drew?

Any tile you drew that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.