Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my reviews aim to offer a brief overview that allows people to get a good feel for what the game may offer them. I feel that other reviews can be sought if detailed game mechanics is what you are after.

Players in Architekton have the task of developing an Ancient Greek town complete with buildings and picturesque scenery. The catch is that only perfection will do and any features that are out of place will be punished.

The game consists of 22 building tiles that depict an ancient Greek building surrounded by terrain. There are also a further 24 terrain tiles. These tiles consist of only 1 terrain type per tile but there are 4 different terrains in the game (ocean, forest, hill and field). The game is set-up by placing the tiles in two stacks, a building tile stack and a terrain tile stack. The top four tiles from each stack are removed from the game to ensure that each game is different. A further six tiles are then turned face-up (three from each stack) to form the stock (draw pile). Finally another two terrain tiles are turned face-up and placed in the play area to start the game board. These tiles are placed diagonally so only one of their points touch. The players then take 1 point chip each and their 12 house pieces.

On a player’s turn they must select two tiles from the stock and add them to the play area. These tiles can be any combination of building or terrain tiles. The tiles can be placed in any orientation and position as long as at least one of the terrains on the edge of a tile matches up to a like terrain tile on that edge. Therefore it is possible for a tile to match surrounding tiles on one side but not the others. Tiles must also be placed orthogonally (above, below, left or right of another tile).

If a player places a building tile they must place one of their houses on the tile to signify that they control the building. Once both tiles have been placed they are replaced by like tiles drawn from the appropriate stack and added to the stock before scoring may occur. Any building tile that is surrounded on all four sides will be scored immediately.

To score a building tile must be surrounded by matching terrain on all four sides. If this is so then the player will receive 1 point chip. But if the building tile has one, two, or three of the terrains not matching they will lose points - 1, 2 or 3 points respectively. A house piece may be removed if points were lost.

This is the basic game play of Architekton. The strategy is in knowing when to play offensively or defensively as it can be most useful to place tiles to harm the development of your opponent’s buildings. There is also a final scoring consideration. Each player can also earn points for any buildings that remain in play at the end of the game. These buildings must be located diagonally from one another so it takes some careful advance planning throughout the game to achieve this. For each chain of houses in a diagonal pattern one point is earned.

The game ends when one of the draw stacks becomes exhausted and cannot return the stock to 6 tiles.

The Final Word

Architekton is a simple but enjoyable game for two players. The components are of a high quality and it is easy to learn. It is a good entry level game for two players and a lead up to other tile games like Carcassonne. Whether it retains its appeal in the long term though is debatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Westlake
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Architekton - A Light Review
I just played Architekton for the first time in 2 years or so. Was pleasently suprised at how nice it is to play a quick, light weight game like that.

On the main Architekton page it lists game time as 45 minutes....I don't know who came up with this but in reality it like a 7-10 minute game.

The components are pretty to look at as the scenery develops and there are some important decisions to make in terms of when to advance your own scoring and when to disrupt your opponent. It is still VERY light.

I played with my wife and in 20 minutes I had set the game up, explained the rules, played twice and packed it away again. very good for a filler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.