Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a few players have complained that the 5 points for taking the tower in no way compensates for the beating that this player takes on others' final turns. In my own play, this has also turned out to be true, meaning that everyone hangs back and waits for someone else to trigger the end of the game. This stalls the game and is good for no one. I thought of a couple ways to counter this, and I'd like the player community's help to playtest these variants to the endgame.

Option 1: Partial final turn for the tower-taker.
The player who takes the tower gets +5 points. All other players get one final turn. Then, the player who took the tower takes action cards based on the number of players.
2 players: 0 action cards
3 players: 1 action card
4 players: 2 action cards

If the player who takes the tower still loses regularly, it's easy to scale this up.
2 players: 1 action card
3 players: 2 action cards
4 players: 3 action cards

This option gives the poor, beleaguered game-ender a weak last chance to make up some of the ground that has been taken from her. It makes taking the tower less of a death-sentence.

Option 2: Partial turns for players after the tower-taker.
When any player takes the tower, she gains +5 points, and the players after her take a final turn with action cards based on the number of players.
2 players: 3 action cards
3 players: 2 action cards
4 players: 1 action card

It might be better just to give them the same number of cards at all player counts. This option forces the other players to gang up on the leader in sequence instead of the first one bashing the game-ender and taking the lead, the next one bashing the new leader, etc. I think it would make players carefully consider who and when to attack. For example, the second player might take a narrow lead with one card, then use the second to attack the player after her to widen the lead and reduce the ability of the final player to take her down.

It's also possible to adjust the point value of the tower, but this feels less elegant to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome P.
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Your first Option sounds interesting, I should try it out.
The second option at 2 players feels to OP for the winner.

However, I still prefer to go with my variant :

- The one who takes the tower gains immunity from the map (nomad/outpost), the devotions and the shards.

- But if this feels to OP (or if you play against a beginner), you can just go with immunity from the map. (Which actually forces the one-with-the-tower to trigger the end of the game with shards as he knows his nomads/outposts will be immune)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, to me, this is an aspect of the game that needs fixing. The game is good, but it can be endless, because everyone is scared to end the game only to have the rug pulled from under their feet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.