Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you replace a tile that causes an occupied continent to split into a smaller continent and one or two shores, is that considered a migration, i.e. does the player have to pay a follower? A strict reading of the rules seems to indicate that a migration only happens when a continent is split into two or more continents and/or islands, and a single shore is not an island. But I think it makes sense for this to also be considered a migration. In particular, if the continent is split up into just one island and one or two shores, the civilization should go extinct, and I think it would be too powerful for this not to cost a follower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a migration when there's a civ token there AND the land mass on which it exists (not just the tile where the token is) is split into 2 or more parts by the tile. This costs a cube.

Picture it this way. The land mass where the cube lay is completely colored red. If, after replacing a tile, you now have 2 or more separate land masses (partially) colored red, then you have caused a migration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wiersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Doug. Yes, what you describe is a migration. When you split a continent into just islands and/or shores the civilization migrates to the island with the most wheat symbols, and then disappears because an island is too small to house a civilization. This costs a follower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that makes sense and that's how we ruled in our game. But I was thrown off by the phrase "continents and/or islands" which seemed to explicitly exclude shores and landmasses. Might be worth rephrasing in a second printing. Otherwise, I was very happy with the clarity of the rules. Nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter E
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What still seems unclear to me (and came up in our first game) is when the destination is an unconnected landmass, not a coast (as in below example). Since a civilization can only be placed on a continent, part of me assumes that the civilization dwindles as with an island civ, but this is not clearly stated.

Example:

Before replacement:
/ \\ // \
/ ~~~~~~~~~~~ \\ // W \
/~~~~~~ W ~~~~~~\\~~~~~//~ ~\
/~~~~_________________~~~~\\~//~~~~_________________~~~~\

Replaced Rightmost Tile

/ \\ // ~ \
/ ~~~~~~~~~~~ \\ // ~ W \
/~~~~~~ W ~~~~~~\\~~~~~// ~~~ ~\
/~~~~_________________~~~~\\~//~~~~~________________~~~~\

So where would the blue go? I see four possibilities:

1. Doesn't move to new landmass -- it isn't a continent; hence no migration/payment of cube
2. Moves to new landmass, disappears -- a civilization can't live on a landmass
3. (Unlikely) Lives on on landmass as if it were a continent (the rules don't say explicitly that a civilization can't live on a landmass, only that they can't be placed there, but in the resolution rules for migration it only refers to the two new continents/islands)
4. (Unlikely) Tile placement is illegal

::EDIT:: Reading some other threads has me thinking it's probably (1); still love to hear feedback. Also, if we assume the middle tile was just a shoreline instead of continuing the continent on (so continent consisted of shoreline on middle tile, landmass on rightmost), and the same tile was replaced, would that allow a civilization to be removed without payment of a follower by the current player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.