Subject: Initial impressions after reading the rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to read rulebooks of all games that interest me for Spiel'15. I have a geeklist where I summarize my thoughts.

First of all it superficially looks like Village The Dice Game, but it's not a dumbed down version of Village, it is slightly different, but a lot of concepts have been retained: having various villagers, assigning them to do various tasks in the village (you never can have everything), old ones die when too much time passes, you try to put them in proper graves, not in anonymous ones etc. It's all there.

The main difference is with action selection. Village had that neat action drafting mechanism, which limited a number of times a given action can be performed in a round and at the same time introduced a cube collection mechanism. I really liked that, as that also enforced interaction (all action drafting aka worker placement games do so inherently). In here a set of dice is rolled. On your turn you need to draft two from the common pool, sum up their pips and the total value denotes a type of action that can be performed by you this turn/round (one turn per round, so). So yeah, it's an interesting riddle to you as a player, do I pick this and that one, or maybe that one and that one, then I could do this, or else do that. Interesting puzzle. But there's no interaction in this mechanism, Theoretically you limit a pool of dice available to your opponents, but practically I don't believe you check the numbers left, compute all possible sums and make sure your opponent can do as little with them as possible. Especially since you choose actions on your personal tableau and you may have different numbers assigned to the same actions than I do. So overall I don't see real interaction in this action selection mechanism, you simply want to be earlier in the turn order.

So is there any player interaction? Yes, you draft certain cards from the common pool on the table. Customer cards have different goods requirements, monks have different abilities, slight differences here and there. But on the other hand some cards are identical (doesn't matter which one you take, one will always be available to you). Or some are taken blindly (travel cards), so yet again no interaction here.

All in all it looks like a multiplayer solitaire. Don't get me wrong, I like euro games, but I also love indirect interaction. It SEEMS like there's too little going on in this regard. I'm afraid this is more like "I'm doing my engine here, you do yours, let's see at the end who did better". I would like to give this one a try, but I'm not going to buy it (unless reviews prove these impressions wrong).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting analysis. I have not read the rules yet, but I appriciate your point about that you will nit select you dice to leave a certain pool for thte next player. Similarly though, in regular village I feel like it is also not that common to think about what action the next player will take on his turn. The market and church are interactive though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a fan of multiplayer solitaire, and a big fan of Village, but my read of the rules left me feeling lukewarm about this game. The rat invasion mechanism appears rather random and uninteresting, and I'm concerned that there's not enough to the game to keep it interesting for 60-90 minutes. And as generic as Village's theme is, it still feels better integrated than the theme in this game, which feels even more pasted on.

I think I'll take a wait and see approach on this game and wait for the reviews (and hopefully a Rahdo playthrough) to come in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gut feel is Rahdo will enjoy it.

Muemmelmann wrote:
Similarly though, in regular village I feel like it is also not that common to think about what action the next player will take on his turn.

Kind of true, but then you see that there's only one action left on a particular field (in Village). You didn't eagerly wanted to take it, but since you see there are still opportunities on the other actions you care for, you might as well take this one first. You think about yourself, but you limit your opponents explicitly. In here you don't know whether you limit them, because it's not clear whether lack of certain die results limits somebody or not. If dice represented actions themselves (like they do e.g. in upcoming Grand Austria Hotel), it would be a whole 'nother story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On an objective basis, I am inclined to agree with what has been said in this thread. (Subjectively I completely disagree.) Also, the majority scoring in the Village church (which I disliked) has been removed, so that's another case where My Village has less/little interaction.

The main interaction in the dice drafting would probably be to avoid (or in some cases to take) the black dice, to slow down (or in some cases speed up) death. The "race to die" (which was a substantial part of the interaction in Village) seems intact here.

There will be mini-races to grab market tiles, or a couple of the other types. But largely it's a game where you have your own sandbox to play in. The rats are basically a push-your-luck system, where you have to spend time to "bank" your points, and if you wait too long, you'll lose half of them. I enjoy P-Y-L, so that's another plus for me.

I don't like majority scoring, so I won't miss that at all. Compared to Village (which I enjoyed but didn't love), My Village looks just a bit more fun to me. Not necessarily because it has less interaction, but because the PYL and dice just seem a bit less dry. I suspect BartP is right that Rahdo will like it too.

If you thought Village wasn't interactive enough, I would recommend you stay away from My Village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Burnham
United Kingdom
Abingdon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Village, but I'm not sure on this - certainly want to try before I buy.....

And, yes, I'm sure Rahdo will like it.

Hope you're (all) well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I dislike Village, because of the race to kill your own family.
I first played My Village two years ago (in prototype form), and this is so much more my kinda play. Yes, you still die, but it is so much more like an an unavoidable thing that may happend to your characters, and not a race to put granpa in the grave first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Yes, you still die, but it is so much more like an an unavoidable thing that may happend to your characters, and not a race to put granpa in the grave first!

How so? From the rules and runthrough, My Village seems similar in that respect. Is the difference that the meeples in My Village don't have generations numbers, so feel less personal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A player dying deliberately may score a couple of points more than others, but you select which meeple to kill, and in the long run you don't win the game by those few points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
A player dying deliberately msy score a couple of points more than others, but you select which meeple to kill, and in the long run you don't win the game by those few points.

So you're saying that the difference is that each individual death is a smaller point swing in My Village? That wasn't clear from the rules and runthrough. It seemed roughly comparable.

In Rahdo's (EDIT: vawcer's) runthrough, it seemed clear to me that one of the players should have rushed death near the end of the game. The other player was poised to score a bunch of points, while this player was trying to find moves to score a point or two. I think if they had ended it a round or two earlier, they would have won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info - I'll certainly pass on adding this to my rather large collection of TMG games. Not sure why anyone would want to add dice to the already excellent game, even if it has other differences, but that's my personal preference. I do like Kingsburg, so I'm not completely opposed to dice in worker placement games, but Village is already so good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Great Dane wrote:
A player dying deliberately may score a couple of points more than others, but you select which meeple to kill, and in the long run you don't win the game by those few points.

So you're saying that the difference is that each individual death is a smaller point swing in My Village? That wasn't clear from the rules and runthrough. It seemed roughly comparable.

Each player start with 5 workers in the five different positions. Every action will cause 1 or more time to activate. The time wheel has 9 clouds. After cloud 9 someone will die. When this happends you can decide who you will remove.

There are two graves for each position (2VP) + (1VP). The rest are unmarked graves which will not score any points, but will act as a trigger for the game end.

So most will go for the two-points-graves, and unless you go for the more time consuming actions, it will happend more or less during the same round for all players, so they will quickly fill up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
peakhope wrote:
Great Dane wrote:

Each player start with 5 workers in the five different positions. Every action will cause 1 or more time to activate.

Not quite true. The action to move your meeple along the village path costs no time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Aengenendt
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:

Not quite true. The action to move your meeple along the village path costs no time.

Actually I don't think that is true. There are actions that don't cost any time, but move along your village path (to score your points from the "history tree" etc.) isn't one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. I got that wrong. The only action which costs no time is taking the first player marker. Well, and some of the merchant actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Aengenendt
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and "creating" new villagers in school. Though putting them to work one step later costs time.

Of course the interaction between players is minimal, but I liked that you could decide to speed up the game (spending more time), and allthough it hurts you, at the end of the game, this can be a game-changer. To get the rat to half the points of your opponents (when they have more points to lose on their tree, than you have) at the right time, can be powerful.
I don't know if you could even call that interaction, but I liked this strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.