Subject: Spearpoint 1943 Eastern Front Thoughts and Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Liljequist
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, this is my first review and I hope that I can do some kind of justice here for the game. I am new to the Spearpoint 1943 line of games, however I have found it to be a very fun yet simple design. The gameplay is very smooth and can be fast paced leading to quick games, which is basically what the game is about.

Understanding the basic game mechanics is fairly simple and can be picked up quite fast. There are going to be times where you may find yourself in a position of not quite understanding/interpreting a game card (whether it’s a Command card, or a Damage Card)... if this happens, you can rest assured that Byron (the game designer/publisher) or other experienced players will be available here at BGG to help you out.

This game plays great by itself, however, you may want to look into purchasing the Village and Defensive Line Map Expansion which really brings out the game. It adds terrain and LOS into the game and makes it that much more involved and intense. From what I have heard, this is NOT the last of the series and we should be looking forward to a western front “1944” version to come out possibly involving the D-Day landings, which will be fantastic to have go at later war battles with latter war equipment... oh the possibilities..!

The base game comes with 12 scenarios including a 6 scenario “Kursk” mini campaign (which is a lot of fun). My first go round, the Germans won Kursk 4 games to 2, all pretty close games. With the game also comes 10 “Event” cards. Some scenarios will call for specific ones to be shuffled into the Command Card Deck. These cards add extra flavor to the battlefield and can really make a difference at times. These can also be used at your discretion whenever playing standard points-based games. Upon completing all of the scenarios I found myself wanting play a bit more. So, I started converting the Expansion Terrain Scenarios to conform to the Eastern Front set. I simply did my best to substitute in Soviet players and equipment instead of US. This was a lot of fun as well. There are different command cards in the Eastern Front Expansion so there was some tweaking involved, but, you could always (if you own it) use the original Spearpoint 1943Command Card Deck.

All in all this is a really fun and great game that I am sure you will enjoy. It is light and can be easily played on a small table and does not take 2 days to play. There are some pieces (looking at you SU-152) that may seem a bit too powerful, but you have to remember, these units also COST a lot toward deck building and will eat into your points totals. This is a game won on points and using your resources wisely. I do believe that this unit could have had its “To Hit” raised to be more in line with other large caliber Artillery, as this unit’s slow rate of fire and accuracy should not be portrayed as a high velocity barrel to likings of an 85mm or 88 per se, but, that is just my opinion. There are other ways of making use of attacks to defeat this beast as I have done and are discussed in another thread, which brings me to one of my favorite units in this game: the “Veteran Tank Hunter” infantry unit (Which also has a Reg version as well). This unit has a great fighting ability vs. other infantry as well as being able to effectively engage tanks to help deliver that “One Two Punch” to either knock out, or at least maybe damage that beast to keep him quiet, lol.

Go out and get this game- you will enjoy it and won’t have to spend hours reading rules... JUST PLAY!!! 

K9mike

• [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, thanks! I can't wait to get it, plus the Heavy Weapons Expansion, the awesome Village Map Module, extra markers and decks to create some new massive armor battles (maybe create some "Fernando" pre-planned deck battle options, you CCers know what I mean...)

I love the unique play elements that are embedded in the base game design. The biggest feature I like is the variable damage cards with extra consequences that can make or brake you at times. Oh, and the air units that surprise a grognard's best day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review, thanks! thumbsup

Sadly, as a Line For Lifer, I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Liljequist
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys...appreciate it. This is my first review and not much of a writer. But, just wanted to say how much a liked the game and appreciate Byron on making this happen. You guys should be getting your game soon and will have a lot of fun. Take care and have good weekend guys.
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great review. I am new to the game and backed the Kickstarter for everything. I'm still waiting for my shipment to arrive and I'm eager to play. I'm happy I backed the Eastern Front Kickstarter. This review gave me a nice perspective on the game which made me even more excited to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob, redheaded, you guys got your games now correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Tremble
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kickstarter was received yesterday ...lookin good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players in the New York City area: we're hoping to get the Compleat Strategist to stock the games, and we'll be doing game days and hopefully tourneys there.

Also, you can get some play time at our local club ( www.nycwargames.com ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there BGGeekers!

Three questions:

1. Can you play it solo, or playing both sides?
2. What's replayability like?
3. Does it require some strategy/tactics and thought, or is it more "here's a card and it's obvious when and how I play it? (I'm not looking for ASL complexity, but I do like a game where there are choices and challenges..)

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
Hi there BGGeekers!

Three questions:

1. Can you play it solo, or playing both sides?
2. What's replayability like?
3. Does it require some strategy/tactics and thought, or is it more "here's a card and it's obvious when and how I play it? (I'm not looking for ASL complexity, but I do like a game where there are choices and challenges..)

Thanks in advance!

1. I been only playing solo so far, similar to playing Up Front solo where you draw blind and look the cards when needed, which is fairly often since command cards can be played to add 1 to any die rolls. It keeps you busy and has been quite fun.

2. Selecting decks by points, random reserve draws, command cards, and variable damage results keep it very replayable. I enjoy the scenarios and the original game had pre-selected force decks to matchup. I've posted some replays on both game sites that might give some feel.

3. Lots of force choices, targeting, and command card decisions. Good tactics need to be developed. Die rolls and damage cards are always keeping things from going perfectly to plan.

PS - definitely get the markers for solo, targeting and alternating attacks can derail you as you get lost in the battle excitement and constantly switching sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary

Thanks for that helpful reply. I have now ordered the game. I had the original Up Front game with extra cards for Italians and Japanese... Oh why did I misplace it moving house 20 years ago?? !

You mention getting "markers" ... are these from an expansion or ??

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The markers were part of the Village expansion and also made available for Eastern Front in the Kickstarter. I would check the CEW website and contact Byron if any difficulties finding them (he'll probably see your post here and jump in anyway). Happy hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I would get 2 sets of markers since I've had a few times where the deployed forces were more than the 8 target sets included for each side (it helps avoid having to temporarily get creative in using the other marker types for targeting).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gary, and yes, I'm always here to support. The markers are available direct from us- store.collinsepicwargames.com. CEW00008 I think. If the shipping comes up expensive, let me know and I'll see what I can do- they're not much to ship to the UK.

Thanks for your interest in the game.

Byron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guys.

Game hasn't been delivered yet, so I don't want to put the cart before the horse- but if I like the game when it comes (as I think I will) I will deffo be looking for markers (and possibly the village expansion).

Woo Hoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Colin, enjoy, and if you have any questions, you know where to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the Village Expansion yet but did get it with my EF Kick Starter pledge. I've been enjoying Byron's awesome EF scenarios (after initially fulfilling my plan to play a home grown Kursk all frontline armor-fest battle including the HWE units - good fun!). I've been recently sidelined by aging-guy back issues so I'm behind posting my last Zitadelle Pt4 play.

But with the miracle of cortisone spinal injections, I'm mobile again and actually took a recent business trip where I read the VE rules on the flights. It had much more than I expected, I'm really excited to try it (after finishing my scenario march of course)! Welcome to the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.