Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmb
All of my reviews aim to offer a brief overview that allows people to get a good feel for what the game may offer them. I feel that other reviews can be sought if detailed game mechanics is what you are after.

Zippy is very much the older brother to Catz, Ratz and Batz (see review). The challenge is again mathematical but this time all players must beat their opponents to a correct answer if they are to triumph.

Each round one player must roll 2D6 (two six sided dice). These dice form a 2-digit ‘target’ number and may have two possible alternatives (eg a 3 and 4 could form 34 or 43). The player must also roll a further 6 die and it is here that the frantic action begins. Using the numbers from the 6 die, all players must mentally try to calculate a possible mathematical equation using any of the 4 basic mathematical operations (+, -, x, /) that equals either of the 2 target numbers (using each number only once). This is of course a race and the first player to declare they have a solution must then reveal it to the group and if correct they earn a scoring button. When all buttons have been collected the winner is declared as the player with the most buttons. Think of it like Ricochet Robots only with math skills.

An example then - the target die show 3 and 6 offering the target numbers of either 36 or 63. The 6 solution die come up as 4, 2, 6, 3, 4 and 1. Just one of the many possible solutions could be: (4 x 6 = 24), + (3 x 4 = 12), 24 + 12 = 36. I clocked that answer at 2.3 seconds……..I wish. An alternate solution could be: (6 x 3 = 18), (18 x 4 = 72), (4 x 2 = 8), (72 – 8 = 64), (64 – 1 = 63). Ok I’ll be honest this time – 23 minutes.

The Final Word

I found Zippy to be an enjoyable game. It will appeal to people that enjoy mentally calculating numerical solutions, working within limited time frames (as they endeavour to beat their opponents to a viable answer) and those that like direct mental competition.

Zippy is not only a fun game but also a highly valuable educational tool to aid the development of mental maths skills using the 4 operational symbols. Research shows that 80% of all maths used by people in the ‘real world’ (as opposed to theoretical situations) is mentally applied, which makes mental computation a critical skill.

Boys especially (a generalisation) will love the competition element and the game is great for developing mathematical confidence as the many possible solutions to achieve a target number allow for success. Players from as young as 8-10 can play this game and to offer a harder challenge to children 11+, an advanced version can be played by replacing one of the target dice with a D6 that has the numbers 4-9. In this way target numbers ranging from 14-96 can be generated to extend students mental capacity. Being both a fun game and a tool to help kids enjoy their maths Zippy is a great investment and would be a welcome addition to homes and most classrooms from Years 3 to 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.