2 Posts

The Voyages of Marco Polo» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A great birthday present rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
Every time I choose a game I think about how it will play with my girlfriend. She is my only gaming partner so it's crucial for me to be sure she will enjoy it. In this case, to take the right decision was even more important because the game was her birthday present to me.

"You choose a game and I’ll buy it" she said once we arrived to the game shop. It took me almost an hour, no mistakes could be done today... and meanwhile she waited patiently (almost all the time). I finally chose 'The Voyages of Marco Polo' because I had seen Rahdo's review and I liked it, and also because it was the last one on the shop and I thought I could regret it if it becomes hard to find later.

After that we went home, had dinner and went through the game's manual (actually we had dinner while reading it). We understood everything quite easily and, even thou it was already late, we decided to give it a try. "We play a couple of rounds just to see how it is and we continue tomorrow" she said... an hour later we finished our fist game. Impossible not do so once you see how fast it plays. In this game you see the end coming already on your first round! We left the game set up on the table because we knew the first thing we'd do the day after (once returning from work) was to play it again. And we played it 3 more times to use all the different characters.

I can say now that I chose correctly. The game is fun, fast and makes you think but without burning your brain. We still have to play it more to find out how deep it is and how long will we stay in love with it. But right now we share this great feeling where we know (without even saying it) that playing it is the first thing we’ll do when we get home. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not the best game I played ever but it’s already a game that, only in 24 hours, made me share with my girlfriend very very good moments. And to achieve that is the most important thing when buying a game... even if in this case (it's usually the opposite) she was the one paying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree. This is a good one, made my top 10 within a few plays and after 8 plays in total, it is easily a 10 for me. My g/f and I enjoy it tremendously, but I think I enjoy it a bit more lol. She tends to sort of hate it after some games (whe she loses), due it's unforgiving nature. A couple of bad moves and your plans can easily sink, but that's one of my favorite things about it. A gamer's game imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.