Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the second installment of my Danzig – Hell Campaign AAR.

Quote:
Here are the parameters I'm working under, which I think are important.

In general, the war in Europe before Barbarossa has little interest for me in Grand Strategy games. What I really want is a Barbarossa to Hell campaign, but that option doesn't exist with Naval units. My general plan is to play the game up to 1941, see how close I can get to a historical result and then...

Reset! I expect that when I get to 1941, I'll simply re-do the setup of the Barbarossa units the way they are set up in that scenario, or do some approximation of that setup based on how well I've managed the German forces. It will be interesting to see how well I do handling things like the Wehrmacht Reforms, and getting German units into position. I think I'll do so poorly at that as to make a solo version of Barbarossa not very fun. Along those lines, I have no interest at all in the Russian limited wars. I'm not going to play any Russian turns at all until Barbarossa, then I'm going to set their forces up for that.

I'll probably leave my situation in Europe proper however I've created it, not sure yet. But at other key moments I reserve the right to reset and do more historical setups than what I've created. The game won't be much fun if I am not able to get the Western forces prepped to launch Overlord, will it? So this won't be one seamless play through, but I hope it will be interesting to those of us who follow this wonderful game, and I am sure it will be fun for me.

November 1939

I made some adjustments to compensate for Hitler having needed to fuel the Italian fleet last 2 turns. Germany builds its HQ's all up to max steps, adds the last two steps to its remaining under strength armor unit, builds the obligatory sub step and a couple of white bomber steps. Hitler saves 7YPP, 3WPP, 2RPP and 2 Oil. Germany sends 1 YPP to Afrika while the sending is good.

Italy adds a step to Mussolini, adds an armor step to the unit in Sicily, a DD step at sea in the Med and moves its fighter I Albania to full strength. Il Duce saves 2YPP & 2 WPP.

Hitler activates and fuels the Italian Navy, SR's one unit, and fuels 1 armor unit. Raeder fuels the fleet in the NA Convoy box, the DD in the Baltic comes back to port.

Units continued to move toward jump off for upcoming Operations Weserubung and Fall Gelb.

France only suffered 2 rolls of 2 in Sabotage, lost its 2 white PP. It maxed out its Navy HQ, stepped up a fighter and an infantry unit, saving nothing.

But now we're getting ready to see some shooting is going to start in the North Atlantic!

GB activates one of its Navy HQ and sorties two fleets into the Atlantic to take up station in the supply lines: 1CV, 1BB, 2BB, 3CA, 3DD / 1CV, 2BB, 3CA, 2DD, 2DD.

France activates its 4 step Navy HQ and sends its Atlantic Fleet ( 2BB, 3CA, 3DD) into the NA Convoy Box! It keeps a fleet at Sea in the Med and in the WM Convoy box.

The Strategic War phase is past, so no combat happens this turn.

France continued to move units into place to create as much of a defense in depth as possible, knowing that their armies will be very under strength when they have to face the Wehrmacht.

December 39 Axis

COMBAT!!!

The French and Germans square off in the NA Convoy box.

Germany: 3CA, 4DD, 1TSS, 2TSS, 2TSS
France: 2BB, 3CA, 3DD

The French BB Jean Bart, firing with a +1 for no opposing BB's, rolled 5-5 and scored 2 hits. The first was mandatory for the DD, Germany took them both there.

French CA's rolled a 6 for the only other damage of the round, reducing the German CA to 2 steps.

Fleets in the box at combats' end. France 2BB, 3CA, 3DD / Germany 2CA, 2DD, 1TSS, 2TSS, 2TSS

Germany has lost 8 WPP so far.

I realized that I'd failed to give Germany the proper production increases after Poland fell! That gave Germany a lot of YPP to work with this turn, and two more WPP. Germany wants to be able to save some WPP's to build stronger capital ships, but also wants to keep shielding her subs. Next turn's strat war combat looks to be difficult for Germany, so she adds 2DD steps in the convoy box, up to 4. Rebuilds HQ's to max, builds 1 white bomber step. Sends 1 Oil to Afrika (there is a yellow PP there already for pairing) while the sending is good. Builds all mountain units to full strength, spends remaining PP on artillery and infantry preparing for Fall Gelb. Saves 5YPP, 4RPP, 1WPP.

Italy step Mussolini up to 3 steps, builds a DD step in the Mediterranean fleet, and upgrades infantry on the Yugoslav border. Saves 1YPP and 1RPP.

Hitler fuels the Italian Fleet, Raeder fuels the German fleet and sorties one into the Atlantic to stand by for assistance if possible (2BB, 0BB, 1CA, 1DD). More movement into launch positions for later offensives during ground war.

I'd hoped to get to another turn and 3 more rounds of naval combat in the NA Convoy box, but I'm just too tired. More tomorrow I hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Netherlands
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

As the French have no subs to target any of the German naval units, they should always send in their BB to support the subs and prevent the bonus that the French BB have in this fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rwargamer wrote:
Hi Chris,

As the French have no subs to target any of the German naval units, they should always send in their BB to support the subs and prevent the bonus that the French BB have in this fight.

I thought about that as a possible mistake, but each BB block the Germans have is 1 step, and a fleet is max 5 blocks. So even 1 BB instead of say the CA would cost some serious sub hits. Germany can only have 5 blocks in that convoy box, and three of them are subs.

I maybe should have focused more on Navy and produced more BBs to send out, but that is an expensive trade off this early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
Rwargamer wrote:
Hi Chris,

I thought about that as a possible mistake, but each BB block the Germans have is 1 step, and a fleet is max 5 blocks. So even 1 BB instead of say the CA would cost some serious sub hits. Germany can only have 5 blocks in that convoy box, and three of them are subs.

I maybe should have focused more on Navy and produced more BBs to send out, but that is an expensive trade off this early.

I just realized that the German BB's have a 0 step to start, so one can deploy at 2 while the other starts down at 0. So I swapped things out a bit, made the Bizmark a 2 stepper and the Gneisau just a floating hull. That will make things a bit more even next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.