Subject: What's changed between first and second edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I'm guessing my question has already been asked but I'm struggling to find it.

How is second edition different to first?

I own the first edition core set and none of my friends enjoyed it. Finding it too clunky and difficult to pick up.
If the second edition is simpler/clearer I'd be tempted to get it.
But do you think if someone didn't enjoy the first edition then they're not going to get on with second edition either?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I watched the preview/rules explanation yesterday and as far as I can tell there seems to be very little difference. I notice the images and icons look cleaner than the first ed and the plot cards have an additional number in the corner which represents a hand limit so during taxation not only do you return unspent gold you may have to discard down to that hand limit before starting a new round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression is that 2E cleans up a lot of the more confusing rules issues, and (basically) pointless idiosyncrasies.

It's still, basically, the same game, just with a lot of the sharper edges sanded down to smooth out play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks for that. I will likely give it a miss then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bindas
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
This isn't a comprehensive list, but these are the changes that standout to me:

Timing: The interrupt mechanic replaces the Save/Cancel responses. There have been tweaks to the framework and action windows, so Moribund is no longer needed. If you don't know what moribund is, you're lucky . I think these two changes brings 2ed's timing mechanic inline with FFG's other LCGs.

Passive abilities have been replaced by Forced Interrupts/Forced Reactions

Draw cap: There is no more draw cap. This has been superseded by Reserve Value, basicaly a end-of-turn hand limit. Reserve Value is determined by the Plot (the new forth number on the plots). If you exceed your Reserve Value during the Taxation Phase, you discard down to your Reserve.

Cards: Houses are now called Factions. Cards are now loyal (2ed's version of house X only), non-loyal, or neutral. There is no more Out-of-House gold penalty. However, the deck building rules have changed. If you want to include an off-faction non-loyal cards, you take that faction's banner agenda and will need to include at least 15 "banner" cards. So, a multi-faction Stark banner Nights Watch deck might break down as 18 Nights Watch (non-loyal), 22 Stark (loyal and non-loyal), 20 neutral cards.

Although the current pool doesn't support it, the deck build rules mean you could build a banner agenda deck with the majority of the cards from the "banner" faction. That Stark/Nights Watch deck could break down as 30 non-loyal Nights Watch, 10 loyal/non-loyal Stark, and 10 neutral cards.

Cost/Economy: The gold curve has been tweaked and extended. Example, characters now range from 2 to 7 gold. With the 6/7 cost cards being the "bananas" cards. The 2nd ed's 3/4 cost cards seems like the 2-cost cards from 1st ed.

Location based economy is tigher. There are fewer cost reducing locations and no income producing locations. I don't know if this is a core set thing, or if FFG wants to slow down the build up of the board state.

Setup: You now have 8 gold for setup. You can setup duplicates and attachments (on valid targets - i.e., your own cards).

Misc: The duplicate discard-to-save is now "Can not be canceled".

Non-"Terminal" attachments will bounce back to your hand, if the attached card leaves play.

Keywords have been revamped, some have gone away (e.g., Deadly) and some new ones have appeared (Pillage and Insight). Also, no more house specific keywords.

No Valar Morghulis plot in the 2nd ed's core set.

This is no more influence. So events now cost gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Batesmates wrote:

Thanks for that. I will likely give it a miss then.

That's where I'm at, honestly. I'm kinda tempted for the new art, but that's the extent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.