Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it that you can never activate a card with Call For Backup if you are playing solo because you cannot coordinate with yourself. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shame, that plus some serious design flaws in the first scenario of Predator 2 lead me to view that they really didn't consider solo mode very well in this game compared to Alien.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple solution: Play with two avatars xD

and Alien had the same flaw. Coordinate was useless without a second player .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh but Alien didn't put lots of cards in that used it, Predator has a lot more. Don't get me wrong both are brilliant games, but my hat goes off to Alien overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is a design flaw so much as a way to balance the difficulty. In Alien, playing with one character is by far the easiest way to play. You get to cycle through your deck much faster. The coordinate limitation in Alien was an attempt to balance the difficulty, but it still left single avatar play as too easy. My solution is to always play two avatars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
farmergiles wrote:
Shame, that plus some serious design flaws in the first scenario of Predator 2 lead me to view that they really didn't consider solo mode very well in this game compared to Alien.

Solo mode in Alien isn't all that much better. I really think these games are just the Super CoOp version of the legendary system that were meant to be played with 3 or more players. You can sort of get away with 2 players but the game feels right with 3 or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wendt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically it doesn't make much sense, but there is no reason from a game mechanics perspective that you can't coordinate with yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
BaronVonOberlitzer wrote:
Thematically it doesn't make much sense, but there is no reason from a game mechanics perspective that you can't coordinate with yourself.

Actually, from a game mechanics perspective, there are at least two reasons you can't coordinate with yourself:

1 - Lack of coordinate is intended to increase the difficulty when playing with one avatar to balance the advantage of running through your deck much faster.
2 - When coordinating with another player, you get to replace the coordinated card in your hand. This, when used in solo, only further increases the speed which you go through your deck, leading to further imbalance when playing with one avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wendt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True enough, I suppose though that if a solo player really wanted to, they could simple allow themselves to activate the "Call Backup" feature if the previous hand had any Coordinate card in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, but I'm happy enough ignoring it. The Call for Backup abilities aren't hugely powerful anyway and to be honest, thematically how do you call for backup when no-one is there to back you up?

I do with Predator went down the Alien route though and ignored that Call for Backup rule. The Alien starting role cards all say "draw a card" then have a cool, useful ability. The Predator ones in comparison to be honest. . . . . . suck. One of them gets you an extra +1 fight. . . . wooo. . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The abilities, when viewed on their own, are pretty bad. However, there are a few things that make them pretty incredible:

1) They trigger for every Coordinate card that is played by other players during your turn, meaning that they can trigger multiple times. +1 attack may not be that big, but +4 attack, along with whatever the other players Coordinate with you, is huge. Or scanning 4 Wilds spaces in one go for free.

2) These cards break the "Order Played" rule, so you can play the card, then other players can Coordinate with you, and THEN you can resolve the Call for Backup ability. Not a huge issue, overall, but good for if somebody isn't paying attention to the table talk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't realised it was "per Co-Ordinate" card, not that having multiples is common in a single turn but it happens so that's interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the same house rule that I do for Aliens. Mostly because it just feels like a waste to not factor in coordinating somehow.

I can choose to blind coordinate with myself by putting a card aside and not use it. I also don't draw to replace it.

Then it's available for the next turn only.

Essentially you short change yourself one turn to assist on the next, though there's no guarantee it'll help all that much.

There's a bit of risk/reward to this (more so than in multiplayer games, I think), and it makes coordination still come into play, which keeps all those cards from feeling like dead weight.

Now if only someone could do the same with Duel in Hunter solo mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan milano
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I guess I don't follow formal solitaire rules, I just play a four player game single-handedly, so I'm coordinating often. But it really is a headache to manage all four hands. Still, I really like the cross-play between avatars so I prefer playing with others or taking on the roles myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
flag msg tools
Actually, I think that Solo play is BETTER in this than in Alien.

The reason for this is the Brothers in Arms and Showoff cards. Having these included in the game more than makes up for the lack of being able to call for backup or coordinate, as you will be able to trigger them with much more consistency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan milano
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I agree that "Brothers in Arms" and "Showboat" add to game crunch overall, including solitaire mode, assuming you play at least 2-player solitaire as the manual nudges you to.

It's just something else to enhance strategic thinking and card recruitment and will likely be built upon in potential expansions. I imagine it would also be interesting in custom barracks where character sets from other games (Marvel/Alien) are mixed in, so long as you keep at least two of your four characters from decks that can use these abilities.

I assume an Alien expansion (if it's coming) will add similar text for Marines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kloh Verkaudar
United States
California
flag msg tools
The way I play coordinate in solo games is that I treat coordinate cards as if they have vigilance with a limit of one. I do not replace the card. So, I draw my six cards and one is a coordinate. On the following turn, I play the coordinate card without getting any benefits from it (strike or money). I do not draw a card to replace it. I can't use the card to coordinate on the turn I played it. I set the card by my avatar so I don't get it confused with any other cards that may have vigilance because I can only have one such coordinate card ready at any time. On some later turn, I discard the coordinate card and use the effects/strike/money on that turn. I also do not replace the card at this time either since I never want to have the option of using the coordinate card just to let me redraw as a solo player. This allows me to use the very important coordinate effect while playing solo without it butchering the feel or mechanics of the game. I'm using the term coordinate in this case to apply to anything with that synergy mechanic including showboat or call for backup. I like playing with a solo avatar and this little house rule lets me do it while not missing out on any mechanics or flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Mario
Poland
flag msg tools
The way I plays in sologameplay, is that:
If card from barracks, says "Coordinate draw a card".
I treat it as my decision to draw(coordinate) or not to draw a new card from my deck. (it depends from situation, sometimes enemy strike if You coordinate).

Commanders only give "2 stars" and class/ team colon, not coordinate effect.

Cal for backup is activate only if You decide to draw extra card by using card "Coordinate draw a card".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.