United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm pretty far along in the development of an abstract strategy game with a 10" x 12" board. Up till now, I was design all of the box art and such with a 10" x 6" x 1.5" box in mind; with the board folded in half. However, the game in question does not have very many pieces in it at all. It has 17 stickered tokens and three d6 dice, which together wouldn't even fill up a fifth of that box space with the board and manual on top of them.

I've been thinking about halving the box side once more, to a 5" x 6" x 1.5" shape. But in this design, I would have to made a quad-fold board, which I'm not sure if I would like. Thinking about other abstract strategies that I have played, they seem to size the box for the board more often than not...

Another option would be to make the box shorter and a bit longer, fitting the board and manual next to the pieces, rather than on top of them. There would be much less wasted space, and I could keep the two-fold board, but I'm worried a box size of something like 10" x 7.25" x 1" might be a bit oddly shaped.

Any thoughts? What should I prioritize in settling on a shape?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, as a consumer, have no problem with quad-fold boards. Many games have had such.

Edit: Just remember to give some attention to the joint quality of the board, however it folds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I FAR prefer a Quad-fold board to a box that is a bunch of air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivia Dunlap
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll check up on the fold quality before making my final decision, but I'll make some designs for the small box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer a smaller form box that's taller than a wide, short box.

I prefer a well-packed box than a box that's a carrier for air.

I usually end up making my own boxes, when I come across games that I don't have to transplant out of its original box, I'm very happy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Debenedetto
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Here's the deal.

People tend to not like odd shaped boxes. Usually this refers to the footprint more than it's height. A shallow box still fits well onto a shelf with the other boxes.

Take a look at Pandemic. That box holds a board and is shallow.

Another option is to make a board that notches together from multiple pieces. That way the board does not suffer from joint problems, and still fits into a smaller box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Is it possible for your game to just have four small modular boards instead of a folded board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mancini
msg tools
I agree with the comments about quad fold boards. I have no problem with them and neither do the people I game with.

That being said, as a game designer one thing to consider is shipping costs for your finished game, that is if you plan on marketing and selling it and you're not making it purely for your own enjoyment.

If you can keep the box fairly full, (which some have already stated is better than a box of air, and I agree with this), but also keep it smaller it can save you money on production and shipping costs. For example, if you can fit your box into a USPS Small sized flat rate shipping box, it will only cost you $5.95 to ship it anywhere in the U.S. and it will get there within 1 to 3 days.

Being able to do that will be good for your business as you will be able to produce the game for less and ship it to them for less, therefore you can charge less for it which makes it more marketable and can therefore increase sales.

Anyway, that just my thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.